Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Race Notes from V8 StockCar @ Savannah Harbor (Hutchinson Island)

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 09:53 AM
bosco022
Drifting

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

Default Race Notes from V8 StockCar @ Savannah Harbor (Hutchinson Island)

Jeff Emery found the Savannah Harbor Circuit to his liking, his offset chassis Port City Monte Carlo stock car chassis certainly knew the fast way around the fast heavily banked turn one, which is probably like something found at Rockingham!

Emery cut a fast 1:15.9xx in qualifying for the GT class V8 races with HSR. Emery then won both on Saturday & Sunday. Emery's talented crew chief Fred Strube has turned the winged GT-1 ex short track late model into a road course monster.

Dave Machavern (Riggins GT-1 C6) was third overall on Sat. and second in the V8 class running laps in the 1:17.s. Second overall in the group was the ex TA Mustang of Don Soenen.

Former IMSA Camel GT racer Pete Kirill brought out the Camaro he recently purchased and ran well despite not having raced for twenty plus years. Tommy Riggins is prepping the car for Pete in his Jacksonville, Fl shop. The car was originally built in the BEMCO shop in Deland, Fl about twenty years ago and actually was a class winner at the ROLEX 24 hours of Daytona circa 2000.

Ray Webb brought out his Riggins Olds Cutlass for what may be the last time for him before he moves to his Riggins (C5) GT-1 Corvette.

Former Nascar Dash series champ Larry Hoopaugh dominated the SPO stock car class with two wins running laps in 1:20's and Kurt Roehrig ( Schwanke LS1 injected) was the GTA class fast guy winning on Saturday and running consistent 1:21's often on Hoopaugh's tail. The Cup type cars did very well on this circuit as they could keep the keep the late model types at bay on the tight, difficult to pass back side and then rocket away down the straights.

Squeak Kennedy and I brought out our ASA type stocker with its'
new carbureted LS1 for a shake down and ran laps in the 1:25's
despite a carb that would quit in the banked turn one and several
other spots on the track.

I thought it was a fun, interesting track with two pretty fast straights, some elevation changes, tight sections and the very cool NASCAR style turn one. Great Job by the friendly HSR folks keeping things
running on schedule. Hope we are able to run with them more in the future.

Despite this being a very late addition to the V8 series schedule we had 13 stock cars and about 8 GT cars enter.

Last edited by bosco022; 06-14-2010 at 09:58 AM.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:53 AM
bosco022
Drifting

The race winning, track record holding LS1 powered GTA car of Kurt Roehrig.

Old 06-14-2010, 07:16 PM
05C6GAC
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry I missed it, sound like a lot of fun, I was out on the other side of town at RRR, with the local PCA group we had about half a dozen corvettes mixing it up with the usuall Porshe and BMWs. Was it as hot on the Island, as it was at Roebling????
Old 06-14-2010, 07:42 PM
bosco022
Drifting

Originally Posted by 05C6GAC
Sorry I missed it, sound like a lot of fun, I was out on the other side of town at RRR, with the local PCA group we had about half a dozen corvettes mixing it up with the usuall Porshe and BMWs. Was it as hot on the Island, as it was at Roebling????
Only about 102 in the shade. Track surface: 145 +
Old 06-14-2010, 09:50 PM
Racer-38
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 05C6GAC
Was it as hot on the Island, as it was at Roebling????
Was it Hot??????????? OMG>>>>>>>>> Hell is cooler. there was absolutely not a bit of shade ANYWHERE!!!
The V8 Stockcar race was fun to watch as usual.....but I was thankful that my car had blown a head gasket and wasn't ready to race yet. I couldn't imagine getting in my car and racing.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:27 AM
bosco022
Drifting

Originally Posted by Racer-38
Was it Hot??????????? OMG>>>>>>>>> Hell is cooler. there was absolutely not a bit of shade ANYWHERE!!!
The V8 Stockcar race was fun to watch as usual.....but I was thankful that my car had blown a head gasket and wasn't ready to race yet. I couldn't imagine getting in my car and racing.

I was never so glad to only have to run an 8 lap race. Before the
race I would have gladly given up my seat to almost anyone. It was
brutal.

This was a cool race course, though. As Butch Kummer says, "way
more "character" to it than would appear from looking at aerial views
or you tube video.

Get notified of new replies

To Race Notes from V8 StockCar @ Savannah Harbor (Hutchinson Island)

Quick Reply: Race Notes from V8 StockCar @ Savannah Harbor (Hutchinson Island)