Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track organizations

Old 06-16-2010, 07:07 PM
Kaldar
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Track organizations

So, i kind of want to venture out from just doing mainly SCCA / NASA and track daze events. I really enjoy these organizations and feel they run things very well, especially nasa and trackdaze.

There are so many other organizations out there but i'm not quite sure which ones would be comparable.

Such as hooked on driving, BMWCCA, audi club, mazda drivers... etc

Which ones do you guys like the most?

-Joey
Old 06-16-2010, 07:13 PM
05C6GAC
Burning Brakes

Chin Motorsports, Seat-Time
Old 06-16-2010, 07:13 PM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I liked PBOC and PCA and BMW the most.

I was fearful for my life at a Chin event.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:16 PM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 05C6GAC
Chin Motorsports, Seat-Time
More accidents and almost accidents in my ONE event with them than all my other events combined.

1 event with Chin (two days),
5 events with other than Chin (ten days).

Two accidents with Chin, and someone almost cut me off making me an additional accident.

It just felt too wild with Chin, on top of that, the cost was the greatest of all of them.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:48 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000BSME
More accidents and almost accidents in my ONE event with them than all my other events combined.

1 event with Chin (two days),
5 events with other than Chin (ten days).

Two accidents with Chin, and someone almost cut me off making me an additional accident.

It just felt too wild with Chin, on top of that, the cost was the greatest of all of them.
Any event can have issues on a given day. Unfortunately there's a compromise between safety and profit in most business models that offer track time. Track orgs want to encourage enrollment but without making too many people jump through hoops which can make it seem not worth the hassle. All it takes is one loose cannon to change someones life forever, or end it. The economic downturn has made instructors a little more scarce than a few years ago.

Overall HPDEs are quite safe, certainly safer than driving on public roads with idiots texting and the sort.

The NCM events are always well run with instructors who show up because they care, not just for track time.

Originally Posted by Kaldar
So, i kind of want to venture out from just doing mainly SCCA / NASA and track daze events. I really enjoy these organizations and feel they run things very well, especially nasa and trackdaze.

There are so many other organizations out there but i'm not quite sure which ones would be comparable.

Such as hooked on driving, BMWCCA, audi club, mazda drivers... etc

Which ones do you guys like the most?

-Joey
Joey,

Are you looking for instruction or simply track time?

Have you run with 10/10nths yet?
NCM?
MVP?

Mike
Old 06-16-2010, 07:59 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

When I really need to shake down the car or try something new, I go to a Chin event. More seat time than I can use.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:03 PM
Webz
Burning Brakes

10/10ths motorsports. Bill runs a great event with stressing safety and sportsmanship.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:54 PM
C5 XTC
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Track organizations

I run HPDE's at VIR with Track Daze and Tarheel Sports Car Club. Both are well run, safe, great instructors and very reasonable costs. Of course I never miss an NCM event that is on the east coast. I ran with CHIN at Watkins Glen and they offer lots of seat time but are more expensive than most. Good luck
C5 XTC
Old 06-16-2010, 09:28 PM
gpuglisi
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

In the Northeast you can check out SCDA. I went to LimeRock with them and am planning on Monticello in July.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:58 PM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Try Hooked On Driving with ECS at NJMP July 16, many members of this forum will be there. Of the PCA groups in the area I like Shattenbaum the best.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:06 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

BMWCCA and PCA certainly have national standards, and you can feel pretty safe with any of them. Locally, we have Tarheel Sportscar Club, and I'm sure their are similar groups in your area, but you might need to visit some events and ask around. Might want to talk to the tracks in your area, as they should have accident reports (or at least good memory) for the good and the bad.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:06 PM
*C7*
Melting Slicks

Received 388 Likes on 168 Posts
St. Jude Donor 05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by 2000BSME
I liked PBOC and PCA and BMW the most.

I was fearful for my life at a Chin event.

I have run atleast 30 days with Chin at 4 different tracks. I feel their events are very well run and very safe.

As mentioned earlier, there is always a loose cannon or two out there running around.

I would give Chin another shot before you write them off. They always give you plenty of track time and they run on schedule.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:26 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

I have done 4 events with Chin and don't see them any more reckless than any other. Now the 2 PCAs I have run with have been very strict and well organized plus plenty of track time.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:09 AM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Where are you looking to do events?

-Kevin
Old 06-17-2010, 08:16 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I have done several days with Chin, tons of track time.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:50 AM
The Panther
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

The biggest difference with Chin for me is they run 30 minute sessions and it is much less crowded. It feels less rushed than 20 minute sessions. I did a one day Chin event at Road Atlanta and got five 30 minute sessions...in one day. The last open session was kind of crazy, but that was because an oil spill closed the track for an hour right before it started so everyone went out at once.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:21 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by argonaut
Try Hooked On Driving with ECS at NJMP July 16, many members of this forum will be there. Of the PCA groups in the area I like Shattenbaum the best.
I really like Schattenbaum PCA. They offer lots of track time at a good price while being relatively conservative with very few if any offs in the lower (novice, intermediate) groups.

TrackDaze was cool but most of the cars are VWs etc very few newer Porsches or Corvettes.

Potomac PCA offered less track time but also lower price; they were extremely conservative and brought in the whole session under black if anyone had an off or suspected mechanical issue. And make sure your numbers are huge--just because it made it through tech and is bigger than others doesn't mean they won't complain about them.

Get notified of new replies

To Track organizations

Old 06-17-2010, 01:53 PM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by sothpaw2
TrackDaze was cool but most of the cars are VWs etc very few newer Porsches or Corvettes.
Last weekend at Thunderbolt with TrackDaze we had a very non-Ricer/VW crowd in the Advanced group: at least 7 Vettes, Porsche Turbo, Ferrari F430, several M3s, etc. We did have one very sick Honda Civic who was unbelievably the third fastest guy in the group (After WickedWeasel in his nuclear powered bannana and the guy in the Porsche).

I've also been to TD events that were slower cars...so I don't think we can generalize, the cars vary widely from event to event.

Are you going to the TD event at Summit in July?

Brad
Old 06-17-2010, 08:52 PM
C5 XTC
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by argonaut
Last weekend at Thunderbolt with TrackDaze we had a very non-Ricer/VW crowd in the Advanced group: at least 7 Vettes, Porsche Turbo, Ferrari F430, several M3s, etc. We did have one very sick Honda Civic who was unbelievably the third fastest guy in the group (After WickedWeasel in his nuclear powered bannana and the guy in the Porsche).

I've also been to TD events that were slower cars...so I don't think we can generalize, the cars vary widely from event to event.

Are you going to the TD event at Summit in July?

Brad
Old 06-17-2010, 10:08 PM
WNeal
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In Veteran VII
Cruise-In Veteran VIII
"Slower Azz Dog"
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

I am kind of partial to 10/10ths Motorsports

I hear they stress safety to the hilt but give drivers some freedom to actually learn new techniques and skills on track.
More track time than most folks actually want to do as well.

Its passion for the sport that drives the owner to put these events on.
That happens to be me and my main goal is for you to have a safe, fun event and learn some things at the same time.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Track organizations