Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broke my timing chain

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 08:34 AM
02impactblue
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Broke my timing chain

Timing chain let go at 5k on front straight at NJMP. Looks like a new motor is in my future. Any recommendations for a reliable option? another LS6 or maybe LS2 or all out custom build. I'm not looking for more power just a solid motor. I ran an ls2 for 4 years with no issues and switched back to a c5 and the motor let go after 15 track days. I now understand the timing chain is a weak part on these engines. Wish I had researched prior. Any recommendations?
Old 06-18-2010, 09:05 AM
Eric D
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by 02impactblue
Timing chain let go at 5k on front straight at NJMP. Looks like a new motor is in my future. Any recommendations for a reliable option? another LS6 or maybe LS2 or all out custom build. I'm not looking for more power just a solid motor. I ran an ls2 for 4 years with no issues and switched back to a c5 and the motor let go after 15 track days. I now understand the timing chain is a weak part on these engines. Wish I had researched prior. Any recommendations?
The chain isn't the weak link, it is the fuse. What harmonic damper are you running? What other mod's did the engine have?
Old 06-18-2010, 09:17 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

I think Scoggin Dickey has a few LS6 long blocks still availible for around $3700 shipped, hard to beat that. It comes with the Caddy oil pan (so hopefully you didn't hurt yours) and you will need to swap out the pilot bearing, other than that just transfer over the rest of your parts and you should be up and running in no time.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:48 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

I did a forged LS2 when mine LS6 let go. I got a fully forged LS2 al block from TSP, MS3 cam, Patriot heads for under $7k. It was also another $1500 labor and parts to get motors switched. But for me, I sold supercharger kit, block, heads from old motor for over $5k, so I ended up less than $4k for fully forged motor that will hopefully last a long time. BTW, I did the upgraded timing chain from IWIS and no underdrive pulley. Seems like LS2s were having timing chain issues and the common denominator seemed to be underdrive pulleys. I didn't think it was worth the risk for the few extra horses. Good luck on your new motor.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:45 AM
02impactblue
Pro

Originally Posted by 96CollectorSport
I think Scoggin Dickey has a few LS6 long blocks still availible for around $3700 shipped, hard to beat that. It comes with the Caddy oil pan (so hopefully you didn't hurt yours) and you will need to swap out the pilot bearing, other than that just transfer over the rest of your parts and you should be up and running in no time.

Do you have a link or part# for the long block option. I was all over their site and I only see the LS6 crate option for just under $6K.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:47 AM
02impactblue
Pro

Originally Posted by Eric D
The chain isn't the weak link, it is the fuse. What harmonic damper are you running? What other mod's did the engine have?
100% stock including air filter!
Old 06-18-2010, 12:59 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry to hear it. Nothing to add--conventional wisdom here has been the LS6 w/ the caddy oil pan for $3700.
Old 06-18-2010, 03:16 PM
C5ZEE06
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

funny (not really)..lost the C5R timing chain on my LS2 stroker motor at the track last weekend too...and i do have a UD pulley.
maybe i need to go back to a conventional pulley for the rebuild ?

Last edited by C5ZEE06; 06-18-2010 at 08:48 PM.
Old 06-18-2010, 05:38 PM
billy25us
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I broke two timing chains (both of them were c5r chains) in back to back weekends on a ls1 with a underdrive pully. The pully did seem to be the cause. I bought a crate ls6 from engine depot for 3250. Sold my old motor after I put all the stock stuff back on for 1500 so I came out pretty good.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...ideas-why.html
Old 06-18-2010, 06:31 PM
Eric D
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

100% stock including air filter!
Are there any changes to the rev limit? If not, the reason for the break may remain a mystery.

As far as the harmonic damper, being underdrive is not the issue, it is the frequeny the damper is tuned too.

Old 06-19-2010, 09:01 AM
C5ZEE06
Drifting

Are there any changes to the rev limit? If not, the reason for the break may remain a mystery.

As far as the harmonic damper, being underdrive is not the issue, it is the frequeny the damper is tuned too.

Eric how does / why would changes to the rev limiter obscure the cause ?

from reading up here, I think Ill go back together with a 10% Powerbond.

Last edited by C5ZEE06; 06-19-2010 at 12:48 PM.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:39 AM
gtpvette
Melting Slicks

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts

Do you have a link or part# for the long block option. I was all over their site and I only see the LS6 crate option for just under $6K.
Looks like $3245 shipped. Not bad at all.

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/sponso...0-shipped.html

If you're going to part that broken motor,, I need some covers.
Old 06-20-2010, 11:29 AM
Eric D
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by C5ZEE06
Eric how does / why would changes to the rev limiter obscure the cause ?

from reading up here, I think Ill go back together with a 10% Powerbond.
With a stock motor there are cam drive modes at higher rpm's where torsional phase between the cam and crankshaft go out of phase to each other putting higher than normal loads into the chain.

I would also go with your thoughts of using the 10% Powerbond.
Old 06-20-2010, 05:39 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

anyone have better luck when they install a timing chain guide?

wish someone would start selling those again!

seems it would lower the chain slap
Old 06-21-2010, 02:23 PM
C5ZEE06
Drifting

funny (not really)..lost the C5R timing chain on my LS2 stroker motor at the track last weekend too...and i do have a UD pulley.
maybe i need to go back to a conventional pulley for the rebuild ?
shop just confirmed that my UD pulley was an ASP (it was installed by prior owner). No chain damper or tensioner was in place. I selected an ATI 10% pulley for the rebuild. Looking for a LS2 damper to install - if there is such a thing.
Old 06-21-2010, 06:33 PM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

IMO the only balancers to use are ATI (with the softer rubber) or stock GM.
The way to tell if your chain has failed due to harmonics would be to see if there are any "stiff links". If you run the chain over your finger and see or feel any links that move stiffer than the others it is from the racheting effect that happens when you are at peak torque.
If you look at the chain and it's just broke (no stiff links) it was probably just a weak link
Check out the number of failures over on LS1tech with the ASP pulley, I found a few a while back when I was looking into chain failures.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:03 PM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

a fuse protects, a broken timing chain destroys the engine. Terrible analogy that you've made.

Get notified of new replies

To Broke my timing chain

Old 06-22-2010, 06:31 AM
Eric D
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 2000BSME
a fuse protects, a broken timing chain destroys the engine. Terrible analogy that you've made.
I respect your opinion and from your prospective you could be right. I think it is important to understand the forces necessary to break a timing chain are higher than what most people might think. It is close to the force of bouncing the weight of the entire car back and forth on that little timing chain. My take is this; a fuse is in place to limit damage. It is used to avoid catastrophic failure. Having to replace parts that can be unbolted and replaced without major teardown I believe is less than catastrophic. If the cam drive chain where to stay intact and the engine allowed to go higher in rpm during one of these out of phase occurrences there is a very high likelihood the next item to break would be the crankshaft. I believe a crankshaft breakage would be catastrophic as it would most likely take out the block as well. Hey, like you it is just my opinion and I believe the timing chain fits the description of a fuse.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:18 AM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

shop just confirmed that my UD pulley was an ASP (it was installed by prior owner). No chain damper or tensioner was in place. I selected an ATI 10% pulley for the rebuild. Looking for a LS2 damper to install - if there is such a thing.
I've heard of 3 other timing chain failures with ASP underdrive pullies. The solution is a ATI damper and C5-R chain.

Does the OP have an ASP UD pulley also?

(e) zach@katechengines.com
Old 06-22-2010, 08:47 AM
Eric D
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Katech_Jason
I've heard of 3 other timing chain failures with ASP underdrive pullies. The solution is a ATI damper and C5-R chain.

Does the OP have an ASP UD pulley also?
02impactblue, the OP, stated in an earlier post he was 100% stock when I asked what harmonic damper he was running.

What are the differences in the C5-R chain to the current LS2 chain? Does the C5-R chain use the same sprockets?

Quick Reply: Broke my timing chain