Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Traqmate, Racepak, DL-1 or race-keeper...which one???

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 07:00 PM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the DL1 with a Dash 3 display. I like all the functionality it offers, its pretty portable although I'm making mine semi permanent. I havent had a chance to use it yet but a bunch of us got them end of season last year so we'll be able to compare data.

SIK02SS... any tips or files you can send me that will help me use or set up my DL1, I've heard setting it up is a bit of work so any help is appreciated.

Steve

Last edited by GettReal; 01-10-2011 at 08:26 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:34 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by SIK02SS
My car came with a DL1 in it...took a while to learn, but once I did it's been a great tool. I then got a Race Keeper for World Challenge with intentions to sell my DL1...ya, I still have my DL1. It does things the Race Keeper cannot like predictive lap times and theoretical lap times. I haven't had the chance to mess with the RK as much so I'm still learning it, but I dont think my DL1 is going anywhere. Just my .02
DL1 makes a display only (like the racepack) but it's a couple hundred more.

does the DL1 dash data come off (and work ok) with the C5 OBDII?

again I am fine for the time being with traqmate for my actual data logging (and I have a display for it, for lap timing , etc) I am mainly just looking for a display (for engine data, etc) without having to build an autometer cluster
Old 01-10-2011, 11:02 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Thought about just lowering the OE cluster?
Old 01-10-2011, 11:39 PM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by GettReal
I have the DL1 with a Dash 3 display. I like all the functionality it offers, its pretty portable although I'm making mine semi permanent. I havent had a chance to use it yet but a bunch of us got them end of season last year so we'll be able to compare data.

SIK02SS... any tips or files you can send me that will help me use or set up my DL1, I've heard setting it up is a bit of work so any help is appreciated.

Steve
I also have the Dash 1, but rarely use it. If anything I see the LED's for my shift light out of my peripheral before I look at it for anything. But it's also in the center stack, so it's not exactly in front of me.

Sure, PM me your email and I'll send you a couple files. Honestly, all I did was play around with it...a lot! Do you have any add-on sensors? Start with the track map and learning to setup markers and sectors. You can use the markers to get your lap times, sector times, and best theoretical lap time. This is what I find the most useful. You can also add-on more sensors and overlay more data. Just play around with it

Originally Posted by drivinhard
DL1 makes a display only (like the racepack) but it's a couple hundred more.

does the DL1 dash data come off (and work ok) with the C5 OBDII?

again I am fine for the time being with traqmate for my actual data logging (and I have a display for it, for lap timing , etc) I am mainly just looking for a display (for engine data, etc) without having to build an autometer cluster
Ahh, that I don't know. Race Keeper does work with my OBD II, but I have Dash 1 and not Dash 2 so I don't know. Race-Tech has a pretty useful forum, so that may be able to get answered their?
Old 01-11-2011, 12:26 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by sperkins
Thought about just lowering the OE cluster?
not really able to with where the dash bar on the cage is going (I don't have the dash beam like you do, and my cross bar will be much higher)
Old 01-11-2011, 12:54 AM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by drivinhard
not really able to
Dude - we're talking about BJ here. That dude can do anything.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:47 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

The Competition Car Data Logging Manual is a useful book re data logging and it uses the Race Technology data as examples. Software looks very useful and the book will be an excellent guide to using things like the math functions.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:26 AM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Since you already have a traqmate, chec out their digital display.

I'll give you the ad when I see you this weekend.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:33 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

So now the Traqmate is in RLC territory in terms of $, but still has the relatively handicapped Traqmate software. And it doesn't work with a GoPro like RLC does. Kind of hard to justify the Traqmate, even if they are going to offer NASA contingency.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:30 PM
brian1234
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you time trial or race with NASA you might want to think about waiting on getting a system. It looks like they're going to encourage Traqmate systems and entice you with discounts. I was looking at the traqmate HD complete system anyway because it has a predictive lap timing display which is the most important feature in my opinion. If a system only does split times, it's not an option for me. It also has HD video overlay which is cool. But anyway, it sounds like buying now would be a mistake since NASA is going to come up with some discounts, hopefully big ones. Here's the link to the NASA announcement:

http://www.nasaproracing.com/2011/02...ta-a.html#more
Old 03-07-2011, 02:10 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

any modern system has sector/predictive timing. The difference is how much of a PITA/$ for add-on sensors, the quality of the display and if the software is usable and has math functions. Traqmate seems ok now that they have a display that is not from the late 80s, but their software is still pretty underpowered compared to Race Tech, RLC and RacePak.

I contacted RLC - they are offering a 5% NASA and SCCA discount.

Last edited by RX-Ben; 03-07-2011 at 02:29 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:30 PM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

I got a traqmate "basic" for Christmas and am looking forward to using it. I'm sure it will suit me just fine but I have to say I'm a little disappointed about a few things:
- The Basic system is $700. At first that seemed like a deal, but...
- There is no in-car display
- the only power supply it comes with is a hard wire. No cigarette (thats a $20 option), no AC>DC converter (thats a $30 option). The only way to power it on right now is to hard wire it into my car
- the only way to get data out of it is via a serial port. I'm mean come on! what is this the eighties. No laptop today has a serial port. I have to get a serial to USB converter and there goes another $40
- it has zero analog or digital inputs, not even RPM, you need to get an add on for those
- it doesn't do any video sync, not even standard res, another $200 for the software that does it
- another $200 on top of that for the HD controller (which also gives you some sensor inputs)
- The software, although functional, is also pretty long in the tooth

If you get the $1000 "Complete" system the only difference is you get the in-car display, which doubles as sort of a zip drive - the data is stored on the little pocket sized display unit so you can unhook it from the car and plug it into your computer. This would eliminate the need for a serial-USB converter cable.

If I could turn back the clock I'd take a little closer look at some of the other options. They seem so pricey, but buy the time you build up a Traqmate its almost as much.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:46 PM
johninar
Drifting

Thanks Argonaut, and all the others who have contributed. I've been studying for many months and I still can't decide what's right for me, but the information is extremely valuable. Keep the reviews coming.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:22 AM
sebdavid
Pro

From all this info, it's looking like the PerformanceBox is a pretty good option at $500 + extras... I hate the way the various systems that offer video integration force you to use their own camera.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:02 AM
mhoward1
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by sebdavid
From all this info, it's looking like the PerformanceBox is a pretty good option at $500 + extras... I hate the way the various systems that offer video integration force you to use their own camera.
Not all, here is one that Scott (RX8 Driver) did this past weekend. I am surprised he did use the RX8 dash though.

We also have a new Z06 corvette gauge set now too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5pMs...layer_embedded
Old 03-09-2011, 02:53 PM
mhoward1
Heel & Toe

David Farmer Just posted this in the other thread,

But I thought you guys would like to see the Z06 Guages

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=463BEQgXiko

sorry for the poor quality, but I have only a very old version of software for PIP....basically I had to convert from mp4 to wmv, do the PIP, save as AVI, then reconvert to MP4. Anyway, it is what it is.

Marty made up some cool Corvette gauges which I wanted to show. Another screwup on MY part....I apear to have exported my guages in kph instead of mph.

btw, these are TT laps, but on really really old tires I bummed from friends.
Old 03-09-2011, 03:32 PM
sebdavid
Pro

That's really cool! Good job!
Old 03-10-2011, 12:33 AM
FlamingZ06
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have used Traqmate (just a toy, really), Chase Cam DIVA (doesn't work, but they are happy to let customers do their development for them) and Race-Keeper (by far the best, both in terms of product and customer service).

If anyone is seriously interested, PM me for details on how to get a Race-Keeper at 25% off of list.

Quick Reply: Traqmate, Racepak, DL-1 or race-keeper...which one???