Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Improved technology leads Ferrari, Lamborghini to ditch manual transmission in cars

Old 06-24-2010, 06:33 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Improved technology leads Ferrari, Lamborghini to ditch manual transmission in cars

Last Updated: June 24. 2010 1:00AM
Improved technology leads Ferrari, Lamborghini to ditch manual transmission in cars
Jason H. Harper / Bloomberg News

This is a love letter to the manual transmission. Or perhaps its obituary.

I understand the emotion that a stick and clutch engenders. Passionate drivers often feel they're better connected to a car that can be shifted manually. Others go even further. A fellow once told me, "I'll let go of my stick when you pry it out of my dead, cold hand."

I belong in the lovers' camp: There's something lyrical about a well-executed shift -- clutch in, shift, clutch out, power on. Forget about simultaneously eating, drinking or texting. This is the art of driving.

Advertisement

Yet I recently sat in Ferrari's headquarters in Italy and was told, unequivocally, that the new 458 Italia would never see a manual transmission attached to its screaming V-8. The technology was too slow and outdated, the representative said.

That statement was a death rattle -- the skeleton hand gripping the cue-ball **** and shifting into history.

More than 91 percent of 2009 model-year cars sold in the United States were automatics, according to data from industry researcher Ward's Automotive Group. And while usually associated with meeker and weaker vehicles such as compacts and minivans, these days even most supercars use automated systems.

This is partly due to technology which takes the best from both worlds. "Automated manuals" are different from the traditional torque converter found in rental cars. Instead they have one or two clutches located internally.

Drivers are left with only a gas and brake pedal. The transmission can be left in automatic, or gear shifts may be actuated by shifters behind the steering wheel. Unlike that human-controlled process, single or double-clutch systems change gears in milliseconds, faster than the swipe of a samurai sword.

Of the supercars I've driven lately, including the Lamborghini LP 570-4 Superleggera, Lexus LFA, Bentley Continental Supersports and Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG, not one is available with a stick.

While these technological marvels will speed to 60 miles per hour more quickly, purists argue that they're less fun to drive. Maybe. The 7-speed double-clutch on that 458 Italia is brilliant, rivaled only by the spectacular smartness of the 7-speed on the SLS. Hitting 60 mph in 3.2 seconds in the Ferrari, there was no time to mourn -- I could only hang on.

A bit of good news for holdouts. In the last months I've also tested new cars with manuals, including a Porsche 911, Suzuki SX4, Shelby GT500, Kia Forte and the BMW 5 Series. Arguably, it made them all more fun on the open road. (Traffic jams are something else entirely.)

"Europeans tend to buy manuals on entry models, while Americans view it as an option for enthusiasts," said Willem Rombauts, product manager of the new BMW 5 Series.

In North America, 10 percent of those buying the most powerful 550i will opt for the six-speed manual, he said. The rest will match the top-tier technology like optional night vision with an 8-speed auto.

BMW's corporate little brother, Mini, remains bullish on manuals. According to product manager Vincent Kung, manuals account for 34 percent, the highest rate in the compact and sub-compact segment.

"Manuals lend a special connection to the car, and that's highly appealing to our customers," he said. "Looking at the next generation of the Cooper, we'll continue to see a significant place for the manual."

Technologies like the double-clutch automated manual also cost more, Kung added. Indeed, manuals have endured because they are inexpensive to make and are highly efficient because they have little internal drag -- the resistances within the engine -- offering good gas mileage.

That's changing. Some automatics now offer better gas mileage than their manual counterparts. As carmakers look to improve the efficiency of their fleets, that's big news.

"I think the disparity will continue to grow," said Craig Renneker, Ford's chief transmission engineer. "There are many things we can do to improve the efficiency of automatics, but manual transmissions are already close to optimal."

Renneker said he thinks that the new 2011 5.0-liter V-8 Mustang has one of the best manuals "on earth." (About half the car's buyers are expected to go for the six-speed stick.) "But at this point, we don't know what else to do to improve it," he said.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...#ixzz0rlVymFEN
Old 06-24-2010, 06:47 AM
Scissors
☠☣☢ Semper Ebrius ☢☣☠
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06

We knew this was coming.

Then again, manual chokes went away, too.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:10 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Not worried I won't be buying either.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:18 AM
Scissors
☠☣☢ Semper Ebrius ☢☣☠
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude's Donor '06

I'll just steal one. And when I get pulled over, I'll hop in the passenger seat and say that I was abducted by Dietrich, who ran away just before police pulled up.
Old 06-24-2010, 08:12 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

i would love to have a REAL Paddle shifter in Corvette.
Old 06-24-2010, 08:14 AM
Bink
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

I'm totally old school. But, having played with a shifter Kart I'm not as averse to paddles. I still mentally upshift and downshift in my head- if that makes any sense.

Hey John!!

joel
Old 06-24-2010, 08:30 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,101 Likes on 715 Posts

Originally Posted by Bink
... I still mentally upshift and downshift in my head- if that makes any sense.

Hey John!!

joel
It makes you a certified gear-head, Joel.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:27 PM
joemoia
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
i would love to have a REAL Paddle shifter in Corvette.
as long as it has a clutch and not a torque converter
Old 06-24-2010, 12:37 PM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Yay!! Bring on the smg in the Corvette, finally. I'm sick and tired of waiting for one.
Old 06-24-2010, 01:07 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As long as it remains cheap and very reliable. I would imagine those fancy paddle shifters are fine on the street, but would they hold up to several seasons of hard track duty.
Old 06-24-2010, 01:36 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,787 Likes on 1,139 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by joemoia
as long as it has a clutch and not a torque converter
I'd rather stick with a stick, but if they do a clutch-enabled SMG, the paddles had better be on the column, not the steering wheel. Wheel-mounted paddles are baaaaaad.

jas
Old 06-24-2010, 05:25 PM
2K3Z06
Burning Brakes

Location: KADS- If it has wings or an engine, I can break it. Dallas TX
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bring on the SMG, the shift quality in the corvette needs a lot of improvement. The poor shift quality and the crappy *** seats are the weak areas I hope GM will fix in the C7.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:18 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 2K3Z06
Bring on the SMG, the shift quality in the corvette needs a lot of improvement. The poor shift quality and the crappy *** seats are the weak areas I hope GM will fix in the C7.
People are to fat to put in a good seat. Good seat for this section means average street guy can't get in it daily.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:19 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Bink
I'm totally old school. But, having played with a shifter Kart I'm not as averse to paddles. I still mentally upshift and downshift in my head- if that makes any sense.

Hey John!!

joel

well not really car still in pieces
Old 06-24-2010, 07:05 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

Give me a traditional stick the whole way

then again after seeing one Ferrari driving keep locking his rear wheels @ a HPDE I can see why they're doing this
Old 06-25-2010, 08:18 AM
Scissors
☠☣☢ Semper Ebrius ☢☣☠
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude's Donor '06

Originally Posted by BrianCunningham
Give me a traditional stick the whole way
That's what she said.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:55 AM
L98Terror
Race Director

W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

Originally Posted by Scissors
That's what she said.
Apparently so did he

Get notified of new replies

To Improved technology leads Ferrari, Lamborghini to ditch manual transmission in cars

Old 06-25-2010, 11:58 AM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Well that just does it. I'm not buying any more new Ferraris. That'll teach them.
Old 06-25-2010, 02:02 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by L98Terror
Apparently so did he
Old 06-25-2010, 02:23 PM
dfinke23
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 95jersey
As long as it remains cheap and very reliable. I would imagine those fancy paddle shifters are fine on the street, but would they hold up to several seasons of hard track duty.

The F430 handles it just fine and, IMO, should be the benchmark for everyone putting paddles in the car. In sport mode, race mode or CST off, all you have to do is think about pulling the paddle and BOOM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Improved technology leads Ferrari, Lamborghini to ditch manual transmission in cars