Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z51 Sway Bar Question

Old 06-24-2010, 04:02 PM
Spdfrk81
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Z51 Sway Bar Question

I have an 08 1LT with the base suspension running RE-11's on all 4 corners. I am upgrading the brakes to the Z51 upgrade and was also looking at the Z51 sway bar. What advantage/disadvantage will i see with just changing the sway bar without any other suspension mods?

Also which brakes pads are most people using for a daily driver that autocrosses every other weekend with Z51 rotors?
Thanks
Old 06-24-2010, 10:02 PM
avizandum
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Z51 bar will make the car stay "flatter" when cornering but will induce a bit more understeer. It will keep the car more settled in transitions and slaloms.

A guy I ran against last year (we were 1 and 2 in our class and I have Z51) had a base coupe with a Z51 front bar and Z06 shocks and it was a great setup on good street tires - he ran kumho XSs - I think the RE11s are faster.

I ran Carbotech 8s and 6s - good pad but very noisy and dusty. You should do fine with Z51 or Z06 pads.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:34 PM
WNeal
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In Veteran VII
Cruise-In Veteran VIII
"Slower Azz Dog"
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Originally Posted by avizandum
The Z51 bar will make the car stay "flatter" when cornering but will induce a bit more understeer. It will keep the car more settled in transitions and slaloms.

A guy I ran against last year (we were 1 and 2 in our class and I have Z51) had a base coupe with a Z51 front bar and Z06 shocks and it was a great setup on good street tires - he ran kumho XSs - I think the RE11s are faster.

I ran Carbotech 8s and 6s - good pad but very noisy and dusty. You should do fine with Z51 or Z06 pads.
I agree with above as the car may push just a bit. When I went from the Z-51 bar to a much bigger front bar, the car actually "skipped" a bit up front when making hard right handers.
Hoosiers solved that problem

Get notified of new replies

To Z51 Sway Bar Question

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Z51 Sway Bar Question