Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

power steering fluid boil over

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 07:02 PM
Dirk Miller
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Default power steering fluid boil over

Hey guys,

My ’08 C6 is not the Z51 version and l am having power steering boiling over issues. After changing to Red Line power steering fluid, I was hoping this would make a difference but it really has not helped. I notice the boil over only happens when I do HPDE road-course events. Once it cracked and GM did replace the reservoir. However I notice it is still overflowing.

I am thinking about hooking up a Z51 heat exchanger, but it looks so flimsly that I am wondering if I actually need something more substantial.

Anyone out there know of a couple different solutions I can try?
Thanks
Old 06-28-2010, 08:59 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Where is the fluid level when cold? When hot? You might try removing some fluid so that when the fluid is hot, the level in the reservoir is at the "Cold" mark.

If you don't have a PS fluid cooler, it sounds like you should add one. Doesn't necessarily have to be a GM cooler, Perma-Cool makes a two pass and a 4-pass cooler that will work. Fluid coming from the return line should flow into the cooler and then out to the reservoir.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:18 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirk Miller
Hey guys,

My ’08 C6 is not the Z51 version and l am having power steering boiling over issues. After changing to Red Line power steering fluid, I was hoping this would make a difference but it really has not helped. I notice the boil over only happens when I do HPDE road-course events. Once it cracked and GM did replace the reservoir. However I notice it is still overflowing.

I am thinking about hooking up a Z51 heat exchanger, but it looks so flimsly that I am wondering if I actually need something more substantial.

Thanks
You need the Turn One p/s pump. It's not boiling, it's over pressured.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:48 AM
Dirk Miller
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by froggy47
You need the Turn One p/s pump. It's not boiling, it's over pressured.
Thanks Bob,
I will look into this
Old 06-29-2010, 01:18 AM
Cloaked323
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the fluid cold it's probably too high mine was. I then switched to redline but it was overfilled again. Although it was overfilled, it didn't boil over as much. I drained some out it's just above the cold line I'll see the results at Laguna Seca in a couple of weeks. I did buy a turn one just in case due to a stock pump failure.

Last edited by Cloaked323; 06-29-2010 at 10:21 AM.
Old 06-29-2010, 06:18 AM
naschmitz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I have the same problem with my 2006 base coupe. I bought a Turn One pump and some synthetic PS fluid but haven't installed it yet. The Turn One pump is less than $200.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:16 AM
johninar
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought the power steering had a pressure relief valve to prevent over pressurization? Am I wrong, or if not, why doesn't it work?

TIA,

John
Old 06-29-2010, 07:32 AM
ipuig
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 33 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Dirk Miller
Hey guys,

Thanks
A cooler does help, I used a small plate style cooler I bought from Pegasus Auto Racing Supplies and mounted it where the Z51 or Z06 cooler would go.
The reservoir is located on the return side of the rack and the suction side of the steering pump, so it should not be over-pressurizing from anything other than the higher vapor pressure of the fluid when at higher operating temps. Changing the steering pump will not solve the preceived over pressure in the reservoir. Lowering you fluid level can help by giving the fluid more room to expand once it heats up.
I'm still using the stock GM steering pump, so I cannot speak as to the durability and effectiveness of the turn 1 pump.

Last edited by ipuig; 06-29-2010 at 07:41 AM.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:24 PM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Gotta love the forums. Never heard of this mod but have experienced some overflow myself. Not sure if its to much fluid or true boil over at this point but did find this in my Google search.

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...all/index.html

Now the question is where do yo buy one? Any vendors on here?
Old 06-29-2010, 12:35 PM
drivinfast
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

here is my install of the turnone. just google and you will find Jeff and the site. last pics for the larger PS cooler
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...t-off-car.html

Old 06-29-2010, 12:59 PM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Zip tie a rag over the top to absorb the excess fluids. The fluid will ruin electronic sensors on the car and cause more problems. Also a good fluid like Joe Gibbs is a good thing to switch to
Old 06-30-2010, 03:36 AM
Cloaked323
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As I stated earlier I switched to "Redline" and lowered the fluid, I will see what happens next week

Get notified of new replies

To power steering fluid boil over

Quick Reply: power steering fluid boil over