Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Z06 modified brake upgrade for HPDE

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 12:57 PM
0Superman09
Former Vendor

Received 61 Likes on 53 Posts

Default C6 Z06 modified brake upgrade for HPDE

I already have found the limits of my stock C5 brakes at the track and am looking for a change. I do not currently have the funds for a huge BBK so I am looking at a modified C6 Z06 set and have a few questions....

Will stock rotors work for decent HPDE use or would an upgrade not be a bad idea? If so which rotors might you recommend? I was looking at the DBA 4000 series.... Can you run 14" rotors front and rear or will only the 13" fit out back?

Pads, looking at the EBC Yellowstuff for street/track use. I don't care about dust as I clean the car often. Want something that will PERFORM on the track and be okay for street driving.

Do I need aftermarket stainless lines for a C5 or a C6 Z06 to use these brakes on my C5?

Thanks!
-Jon

Last edited by Superman09; 07-04-2010 at 01:04 PM.
Old 07-04-2010, 01:25 PM
0RAAMaudio
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Get some DRM SS pistons, the weak link fix for the calipers

Get used calipers and rebuild them with the above, easy to do.

Stock size rear rotors in the 4000 series is all they make I believe

You want 2 piece up front but one piece should be fine for the rear, hardly any weight savings back there, not much abuse compared to the fronts, etc....

SS lines a must, Brake ducts a must( I have the Quantum kit)

One piece pads, I am running Carbotech Xp8/10 for street, solo, and HPDE when I get my roll bar done. This pad setup is probably just what you need and the dust does not eat the car!

I have very strong brakes, way more than enough for the street, solo, work in any temp range, rain, stone cold, hot, I plan to run TT on them as well.

(I just have 1 piece rotors for now as was putting far more money into my full race car but now it is changing to a pro tour car so I might do the same brake package and put 2 piece on the Vert)

Hope this helps

Rick
Old 07-04-2010, 01:26 PM
0Superman09
Former Vendor

Received 61 Likes on 53 Posts

Helped a ton, thanks!

Now I just need to find some used calipers! hmmmm
Old 07-04-2010, 01:47 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

I wouldn't install the C6Z brakes. The biggest problem you will have is the increased cost of consumable brake components over the C5 stuff. The brakes work just fine but cost is an issue. I have been using Cobalt CSR single piece pads (not a full race pad) and get 5 to 6 days on a set of rotors. Rear rotors seem to crack first even though they don't have any heat checking and look really good just before they crack. The front pads seem to last from 9 to 10 days. I have 9 days on a set now and might be able to get another day out of them. The rears probably will go close to 20 days. Price for a set of front and rear pads is about $700. Rotors are $352 for a set of 4 shipped to my house. I tried a set of Hawk HP+ pads at the beginning of this year. I got 4 track days out of both the front and rear pads before they were to worn to use again. I haven't tried the more track oriented pads yet since I am still running on street tires and intend to keep it that way from now on. The full race pads would be even more expensive.

What I did on my 03Z was to install the LG G Stop BBK. For the price it isn't bad and over the 4.5 seasons I used those Wilwood calipers I saved enough money on brake pads to more than make up for the cost of the calipers. The Wilwood 7420H pad provided plenty of stopping power and I could get 8 to 10 track days out of a set of pads that cost ~$200. With those calipers I was able to use the NAPA rotors which lasted about 4 days before cracking which meant my rotor costs were not too bad.

Aftermarket fancy rotors are nice but for the added cost do you get enough extra days to make them worth the effort.

Bill
Old 07-04-2010, 01:52 PM
0RAAMaudio
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Very good advice from real experience!

My car is part audio demo, show, etc, not just track or cruising so part of my reasoning is the looks I must admit and I will not track the car much, I still have a race car besides my other Vette.

Rick
Old 07-04-2010, 02:57 PM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Superman09

Pads, looking at the EBC Yellowstuff for street/track use. I don't care about dust as I clean the car often. Want something that will PERFORM on the track and be okay for street driving.
I am using the EBC Yellow DM 1793 and they are working well. Streetable, very little rotor degradation, low pad wear rate, no dust and no complaints on the stopping power at the track. The price is much cheaper than the competition as you probably know.
Old 07-04-2010, 03:03 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I already have found the limits of my stock C5 brakes at the track and am looking for a change.
You have not found the limits of your stock C5 brakes if you're trying to use them with a dual purpose pad. Start changing to a real pad for the track and swap out for the street and then see if you've really found the limit. And if you have, think DRM SS pistons and some brake cooling before you drop any money on a BBK.
Old 08-08-2010, 03:27 AM
Lothar34
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
What I did on my 03Z was to install the LG G Stop BBK. For the price it isn't bad and over the 4.5 seasons I used those Wilwood calipers I saved enough money on brake pads to more than make up for the cost of the calipers. The Wilwood 7420H pad provided plenty of stopping power and I could get 8 to 10 track days out of a set of pads that cost ~$200. With those calipers I was able to use the NAPA rotors which lasted about 4 days before cracking which meant my rotor costs were not too bad.
Those use stock diameter rotors, right? They performed well?
Old 08-08-2010, 05:47 PM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

save up for a real bbk
Old 08-08-2010, 06:40 PM
the blur
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 87 Posts

The T1 guys use the stock rotors and calipers.
Old 08-08-2010, 09:36 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

Originally Posted by Lothar34
Those use stock diameter rotors, right? They performed well?
Very well. They used the stock size rotors so I was able to buy the cheap NAPA rotors. For a number of years they only cost me $25 apiece but by the time last year came around they were running about $45 apiece.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Z06 modified brake upgrade for HPDE

Quick Reply: C6 Z06 modified brake upgrade for HPDE