Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C4 vs C5/C6 front suspension: Any geometry improvements?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 10:06 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 768 Likes on 550 Posts

Default C4 vs C5/C6 front suspension: Any geometry improvements?

Just curious if there's any significant differences in geometry (or other issues) between late C4 front suspensions and the C5/C6 stuff. I put a '96 C4 suspension under my '69 a while back, but I made the frame mods so that I could bolt in most any suspension I wanted. Just curious if there's any compelling reason to update the front suspension.

thanks,
Mike
Old 07-04-2010, 10:34 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

They are basically the same as far as my untrained eye can see.
The only difference I can see are the frame mounts.
the 92 seems to mount a little more inboard than the 04
The 04 seems to have a stiffer mount for the upper and lower
The 92 is difficult to get any negative camber.
Old 07-04-2010, 11:16 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

There are quite a few differences just between the C5 and the C6. From the Corvette Action Center speaking about the C6 Corvette....

"...The short-long arm and transverse leaf spring independent suspension configuration remains, but none of the suspension components have been carried over from C5. Improvements in ride and handling include greater lateral acceleration, more body control, less noise transmitted from the road, and better traction and stability in corners. The specific tuning changes in the chassis and suspension include suspension and steering geometry optimized for better handling and ride, advanced compounds in the tires, new directional control arm bushings, increased caster angle and greater suspension ride travel."
Old 07-05-2010, 09:42 AM
subtlez28
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne O
There are quite a few differences just between the C5 and the C6. From the Corvette Action Center speaking about the C6 Corvette....

"...The short-long arm and transverse leaf spring independent suspension configuration remains, but none of the suspension components have been carried over from C5. Improvements in ride and handling include greater lateral acceleration, more body control, less noise transmitted from the road, and better traction and stability in corners. The specific tuning changes in the chassis and suspension include suspension and steering geometry optimized for better handling and ride, advanced compounds in the tires, new directional control arm bushings, increased caster angle and greater suspension ride travel."
Sorry man, no offense, but...

That is a whole lot of words, that really say nothing.

A lot of "greater", "more", "better", "advanced", "increased"...
No actual numbers, or facts.
Old 07-05-2010, 09:53 AM
eogel
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by subtlez28
Sorry man, no offense, but...

That is a whole lot of words, that really say nothing.

A lot of "greater", "more", "better", "advanced", "increased"...
No actual numbers, or facts.
Also no offense intended, but exactly my thoughts as I read it. There is nothing there I can work with to know what the differences are.
Old 07-05-2010, 12:49 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

doesn't matter, because he's asking about differences between the C4 era and the C5/C6 era. The C5/C6 is basically the same, even though they changed the the part numbers.

Anyway, the C4 uses the same general setup as C5, dual control arms. Seems like the upper C4 arms are a lot longer (from memory), but I don't have any measurements. I think the most significant improvements were in the back of the car, going to dual control arms instead of trailing arms.
Old 07-05-2010, 01:51 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 768 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
doesn't matter, because he's asking about differences between the C4 era and the C5/C6 era. The C5/C6 is basically the same, even though they changed the the part numbers.

Anyway, the C4 uses the same general setup as C5, dual control arms. Seems like the upper C4 arms are a lot longer (from memory), but I don't have any measurements. I think the most significant improvements were in the back of the car, going to dual control arms instead of trailing arms.
Yeah, my main interest at the moment is getting more info on the front suspension. I put the C4 suspension in the car because of packaging issues. I would have prefered a C5 setup, but the rear A-arms would have required serious inner wheelwell and bodywork cutting to fit sufficiently inward. The C4 rear suspension is obviously narrower in that regard.
I frequently see C5 suspensions piled up at swap meets, and if I saw a good deal on one I'd like to be able to know if the time and effort was worth it in improved handling.

Get notified of new replies

To C4 vs C5/C6 front suspension: Any geometry improvements?

Quick Reply: C4 vs C5/C6 front suspension: Any geometry improvements?