Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cage Mounting , how many points

Old 07-05-2010, 11:11 PM
sspeed30043
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cage Mounting , how many points

How many cage mounting points can you have?

I am thinking eight for what I want to do,

2 through the firewall, 4 point in the car, 2 rear down bars.

the hoop will be mounted to the frame rails, going thru the floor.

For example, following the FIA book for a GT3 cage.

And, I have a steel frame C6
Old 07-06-2010, 06:30 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Not the FIA rule book, use the NASA or SCCA Tech rule books.

http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/ccr.pdf

http://www.scca.com/contentpage.aspx?content=44
Old 07-06-2010, 09:20 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

as he said, check YOUR sanctioning body for mounting points, tube size, and door requirements. FIA is pretty slim compared to many US organizations. However, your design sounds pretty standard. 6 for the safety cage, plus an option 2 for the forward bars.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:32 PM
sspeed30043
Racer

Thanks for the info...

I have been reading all of the rule books, if i stay with 1.750 .120 dom tubing I should be ok, all the books are pretty close to the same.

except for the NASCAR bar debacle, it seems pretty straight forward.

to do correct NASCAR bars they need to be tied into the rocker
does that go against the mounting point allowance??

I want to to run in the STU class, and what ever equivalent in NASA.

And it seems I can run my side pipes just like the C6r, as long as the exhaust pipes exit behind the wheel base center line.....

And if anybody knows, can I run Z06 body work with a steel chassis and a LS1 for power?? Ive got a Z06 roof panel also....

Wheels, seem straight forward, 18X11 max front, 18x13 max rear....
Old 07-07-2010, 12:33 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

.120 is safe to run in the US for a long time.

Nascar bar attachments do NOT count in class limiting points.

NASA SU you can have the cage tie in to a million spots. I can agrue the need for more then 6 in a class of cars doing 170+ mph.

Side pipes aren't a easy task, many things get in the way. Sure they sound cool, look bad ***, and the cockpit runs cooler. I don't think the average race car needs that.

LS1 power not a problem in SU.

Maybe you should let some that has built a few cars, build yours!

Randy
www.dougrippie.com
Old 07-07-2010, 01:06 AM
sspeed30043
Racer

Yes I wish I could have someone do it, but my wallet is very thin....

Luckily I am capable to do it myself, got a mill,lathe,syncrowave 300,
20 yrs mech exp, and plenty of friends in the performance/racing business, many names you would recognize, just none of them are chassis builders....

Good to hear I can use my LS1, Ive had it for 9 years...

Randy, is that the chassis that Corvette Recyclers has on ebay the one from the steel frame Z06 project??? That was a pretty cool build.

I am trying to do the undoable with this project, build a competitive car
for less than 20k.....Ive always had luck making junk go fast :-)
Old 07-07-2010, 07:12 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Lots of cage pictures may help
Old 07-07-2010, 07:43 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

If you need a good local cage guy, we got a guy in Cumming cranking out a C5 about every week

he does great work, *very* reasonable on price.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:37 AM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by drivinhard
If you need a good local cage guy, we got a guy in Cumming cranking out a C5 about every week

he does great work, *very* reasonable on price.

Very pleased with mine.

Last edited by sperkins; 07-07-2010 at 09:42 AM.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:58 AM
The Panther
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Does he ever get to take a vacation? I am lined up for some more work from him in the next couple weeks.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:02 PM
sspeed30043
Racer

Nice cage ,

Anyone need mechanical work done? I gotta fund this project somehow...

My backround, GM ASEP graduate...GM master tech, ended up not staying too long in the GM dealerships...did some Lexus a while back and recently, and almost 10 years on Jaguars, ASE Master Technician
with L1 advanced...

Almost two years in Airframe and Powerplant school but who knew in the middle of it 9/11 would happen, so back to the automotive field,

Did some CNC work and programming, have a little machine shop at the house now. Scored a "big" tig welder and learning how to use it...

Was one of the first users of LT1 edit....

Then I took some time away from "having fun" , but now I am ready to have some fun again....

I just need to make some more money :-)
Old 07-07-2010, 10:11 PM
sspeed30043
Racer

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Lots of cage pictures may help
Pictures, how many do you want, I think I may have saved every friggin Corvette roll cage picture on the internet :-)

And almost lost them this weekend when the OP system crashed, they are now all safe on a flash drive...
Old 07-08-2010, 12:00 AM
0Vector Vette
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sspeed30043
Thanks for the info...

I have been reading all of the rule books, if i stay with 1.750 .120 dom tubing I should be ok, all the books are pretty close to the same.

except for the NASCAR bar debacle, it seems pretty straight forward.

to do correct NASCAR bars they need to be tied into the rocker
does that go against the mounting point allowance??

I want to to run in the STU class, and what ever equivalent in NASA.

And it seems I can run my side pipes just like the C6r, as long as the exhaust pipes exit behind the wheel base center line.....

And if anybody knows, can I run Z06 body work with a steel chassis and a LS1 for power?? Ive got a Z06 roof panel also....

Wheels, seem straight forward, 18X11 max front, 18x13 max rear....
1.75 X .120 wall dom tubing is correct. NASCAR door bars should be attached to the frame and do not count as attaching points. In SCCA you would be running in STO, not STU. Yes, you can run Z06 body work on a steel frame.
Old 07-08-2010, 01:04 AM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Vector Vette
1.75 X .120 wall dom tubing is correct. NASCAR door bars should be attached to the frame and do not count as attaching points. In SCCA you would be running in STO, not STU. Yes, you can run Z06 body work on a steel frame.
Actually, ymmv. I made this particular inquiry directly to my local scca tech. He says if you plate the sill tube and then attach the nascar bars to the plates that is an attachment point. This is the proper way to support the nascar bar by the way. I have punded on this bandwagon for a long time. I'm glad to start seeing pictures of this happening and racers asking about this stuff. If, however, you run the tube to the sill with no plate it is considered a "gusset" and you can gusset until you can't gusset anymore. So check with your tech guys because this could be a conflict. Luckily the vette has a unique structure in that a unibody car would have a thin sheet sill box that must be plated no ifs ands or buts, while a vette having a hydroformed frame tubing for all intents and purposes is like welding a tube to a tube except it is less than 120 wall in that area.

If you do just plate the nascar bars then you could be over in your attachment points depending on class. points 7/8 which are typically the ones from A piller to firewall are not of great use. Ther is no room to properly place these bars to do their job which is to prevent intrusion to the footwell. Also the vette frame already wraps into this area as you can see if you pull the panel behind the front wheel. I have seen people weld from A piller to the firewall in mostly a staright line from the A piller and the function of which is doubtful. Even if you could bring it to behind the clutch pedal where it belongs there is little support there to weld to. It would be little more than a bar floating in free space.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:14 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Pictures, how many do you want, I think I may have saved every friggin Corvette roll cage picture on the internet :-)

And almost lost them this weekend when the OP system crashed, they are now all safe on a flash drive...
Good Deal. If you have pictures that helps you start.

Even though you have the skil and time, you may find that spending the 4grand for someone else to do the cage, is money well spent. More than cutting, bending and welding tubes together

Good Luck on your project

An experienced cage builder knows the ins and outs, what works and does not work.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:42 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Nice cage ,

Anyone need mechanical work done? I gotta fund this project somehow...

My backround, GM ASEP graduate...GM master tech, ended up not staying too long in the GM dealerships...did some Lexus a while back and recently, and almost 10 years on Jaguars, ASE Master Technician
with L1 advanced...

Almost two years in Airframe and Powerplant school but who knew in the middle of it 9/11 would happen, so back to the automotive field,

Did some CNC work and programming, have a little machine shop at the house now. Scored a "big" tig welder and learning how to use it...

Was one of the first users of LT1 edit....

Then I took some time away from "having fun" , but now I am ready to have some fun again....

I just need to make some more money :-)
PM me if you want to come by my place in Stone Mtn. I've got an electrical gremlin on my LT-1 that I just cannot figure out.

Get notified of new replies

To Cage Mounting , how many points

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cage Mounting , how many points