Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Monticello not available next year?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 02:21 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Monticello not available next year?

That's what Steve told me? Any other news?
Old 07-09-2010, 03:16 PM
CodeBlack
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

John, I received an E mail from the north east director of NASA/PDA stating that Monticello will not be open to clubs next year. I haven't gotten anything further on it. I tried to contact Monticello but no one answers the phone. Just sent an E mail to Kim Baker to find out if he knows anything regarding it. I hope the track isn't closing but with the way money is I wouldn't be shocked.
Old 07-09-2010, 04:57 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by CodeBlack
John, I received an E mail from the north east director of NASA/PDA stating that Monticello will not be open to clubs next year. I haven't gotten anything further on it. I tried to contact Monticello but no one answers the phone. Just sent an E mail to Kim Baker to find out if he knows anything regarding it. I hope the track isn't closing but with the way money is I wouldn't be shocked.
You think someone is in the inflatable building today to call?
Old 07-09-2010, 05:03 PM
Dave Deerson
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, they're not closing.....They are just cutting off "outside" clubs from using the track. Using the track will then be for "members only". They planned on doing this for last season,but changed their minds last minute( I guess they needed cash), but now maybe they don't need the income from outside club rentals. I think the numbers are that they don't need to open the track to outsiders if they just get 4 new members per year,at least that's what I was told. I guess we better get our fill of the place in Sept.

Dave
Old 07-09-2010, 05:31 PM
CodeBlack
Drifting

Road and Track wrote an article which stated the membership cost is 125,000 and 7,500 per year after. KEEP IT! The owners of that exclusive CLUB must know some inside info about the future of the economy. I hope the rich keep making money. I guess if they go flat on their a$$ in the future they'll open up to the lower class people. SNOBS
Old 07-09-2010, 05:54 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

well they dont have a north and south course like autobahn does do they? gotta keep the members from bitching i suppose. will be interested to see what their reasoning is. i guessed it was they didnt need the extra $ in a previous post.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:55 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

also pretty surprising they dont just do monday tuesday only rentals or something. or week day only rentals leave the weekends to members if that is the reasoning.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:04 PM
CodeBlack
Drifting

Originally Posted by dvandentop
also pretty surprising they dont just do monday tuesday only rentals or something. or week day only rentals leave the weekends to members if that is the reasoning.
The events that I've been to at Monticello are run mostly on weekdays. They do run other sections of the track. I've seen it posted as the south course. Maybe some of the club members with F430s and Aston Martins get insulted when being passed by a CHEVY!

Last edited by CodeBlack; 07-09-2010 at 09:10 PM.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:14 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Originally Posted by CodeBlack
Maybe some of the club members with F430s and Aston Martins get insulted when being passed by a CHEVY!
Twice in one session!
Old 07-10-2010, 06:15 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bummer - never even had a chance to run it. Guess I will need to get to know a member...
Old 07-11-2010, 08:09 PM
Snuckley
Racer

What would you pay to have your own track available 225+ days per year? I think Monticello's 125k or even 100k blocks alot of folks. Would $30-40k onetime with 3-4k/yr sound better? NJMP/VIR member deal was about 10k for 20 some days/yr- they pick which days---the last time I asked...SOme of you know where I am going with this- search my old posts... we tried guys, we're still trying to get it done....but it can't be free...so would you REALLY sign up for 40k and own part of it, if it was 1-2 hrs from your home and you could drive whenever it wasn't snow covered??? I know the economy sucks and alot of folks can't run a track car who used to , but alot of people still can.. some of us have lost interest in cars, but most still loggin in here haven't.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:28 AM
astock165
Burning Brakes

My time trial club ran there back in May for a 2-day event. I wasn't overly impressed with the support facilities but enjoyed driving the track and would certainly return as it was only a 5 hour haul from home.

I find it incredibly hard to believe that the management can't find a way to balance the club member's requirements with outside club events to try to maximize income. An inability to do so shows very poor management skills IMHO, but there seems to be a lot of that going around lately.

Unless it's the members crying that they won't join if the track is open to outside clubs. Then they're just being snobby.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:07 AM
L98Terror
Race Director

W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

I always figured why join when you can run for $300-$400 for the weekend. If they take that option away maybe they figure they will get more members.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:28 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At $250 per day X's my yearly 6-8 days, no club membership would ever be worth it to me personally. That is $2000 or under per year to drive a different track 6-8 times.
I live 35 minutes from NJMP, and 3 years later are SOOOO glad I never bought into a membership. Track days are SO abundant at NJMP, I can basically go almost any week of the season I desire (probably 2-3 times more than actual members).

I think that is not the point of these memeberships and certianly not the target market. It is for people who aren't weighting the cost difference between some track day and a full memebership. These are people of whom $125k is not going to change their lives in any way, and they would gladly pay the price to be at events with similiar class of individuals. Let's face it, true multi-millionaires are not going to want to spend their day off with a bunch of tape'd on fenders, home built, slapped together track day junkies.

Good for them and good for us (so they don't slow us down).
Old 07-12-2010, 05:22 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Being a member of any track if I wanted or had the thousands still leaves you with the same course all the time and I think it would be boring.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:01 PM
BERETTA
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by John Shiels
Being a member of any track if I wanted or had the thousands still leaves you with the same course all the time and I think it would be boring.
Its no different than belonging to a Country Club you get tired of the same Golf course all of the time.
Variety is the spice of life
Old 07-12-2010, 10:41 PM
mousecatcher
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by John Shiels
you're not limited to driving only that course ...

but anyway the members that would pay that kind of money clearly value exclusivity over track diversity. i assume they are running their rare and exotic cars so can't say i blame 'em.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:14 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by mousecatcher
you're not limited to driving only that course ...

but anyway the members that would pay that kind of money clearly value exclusivity over track diversity. i assume they are running their rare and exotic cars so can't say i blame 'em.
Why does the course help exotic or rare cars? Lime Rock had tons of events for those types of cars they were just closed and invite only events.

Get notified of new replies

To Monticello not available next year?

Quick Reply: Monticello not available next year?