Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Product Review: Rotors: Centric Premium vs OEM

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 11:47 AM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Product Review: Rotors: Centric Premium vs OEM

Hi,

I just wanted to add this bit of experience to the database here

Previous to my last few track weekends I'd been running OEM C5 rotors (says made in Brazil on back--I think these are NOT AC delco--which are cheaper and probably a lot of lower quality). At Summit, hard on brakes, the fronts last me 2+ days w/ wilwood H pads (cracks bad enough after 2 that I retire them--may be good for a few more sessions). The rears start heat checking immediately on exposure to H pads and don't last very long--about 3 days. The cracks don't propagate if the H's on the rear are replaced the C5Z or Wilwood E but then the brake bias is too far front and the car fish tails a bit under hard braking.

So after asking on here--I tried out the Centric Premiums. The fronts have survived 2 days at VIR and 2 very hard days at Summit and may have another few sessions left. I would say these give at least 50% more life then the OEM Brazil-made rotors. The rear centrics (OE cracked out on me when I had to stop in the pits to talk to an official--had to change at track in the 90+ heat) ran 2 hard sessions in the worst heat of the day and did not show any heat checks on exposure to the wil H rear pads. I should add that the rears did not have the benefit of previous street use and the fronts only had a few weeks--usually I use my rotors on the street for months with OE pads before exposure to track conditions.

Rotor quality I think is mostly driven by the quality of the casting, which is largely a function of the mold design. Yes the alloy used is also very important. I think Centric is pouring a better rotor right now.

I would NOT advise use of Centric's cryo'd rotors. I saw a corvette instructor car crack 2 of the rears out at the same time--didn't see many if any heat checks. I would not use anything with drilled holes or cryo'd.

Cheers

Andy

Last edited by sothpaw2; 07-12-2010 at 11:52 AM.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:49 PM
KNSBrakes
Supporting Vendor

Received 363 Likes on 285 Posts

That's a good review. Can you provide pics? I'd like to see what kind of heat checking you get.

Now if only Centric would make the more of them rotor....I was sent several incomplete sets w/ only 2 of the four rotors.....

-Ken
Old 07-12-2010, 04:18 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 379 Likes on 314 Posts

It's good to know someone else is having a decent experience with them. I've been buying Centric rotors from racepages.com for several years now. They have free shipping, which works so well for me. I have some pictures here of checking on mine.

Get notified of new replies

To Product Review: Rotors: Centric Premium vs OEM

Quick Reply: Product Review: Rotors: Centric Premium vs OEM