Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How often do you change the brake fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 03:45 PM
trapp
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How often do you change the brake fluid?

Do you guys change the brake fliud after every event or once a season..I know to change it if it gets black or dark but is there any recommendation out there.........and do you bleed it before each event..I use motul 600 is that good or is there better.........

trapp
Old 07-13-2010, 03:49 PM
joe@zip
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by trapp
Do you guys change the brake fliud after every event or once a season..I know to change it if it gets black or dark but is there any recommendation out there.........and do you bleed it before each event..I use motul 600 is that good or is there better.........

trapp
Must bleed before each event, and sometimes during events if you are having issues. As far as changing it, we recommend you do it every 5-6 events, you can never change it or bleed it too much so why do it often?
Corvette Tech Articles
Old 07-13-2010, 03:51 PM
trapp
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PriceatZIP
Must bleed before each event, and sometimes during events if you are having issues. As far as changing it, we recommend you do it every 5-6 events, you can never change it or bleed it too much so why do it often?
Any specific fluid type....?
Old 07-13-2010, 03:54 PM
joe@zip
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by trapp
Any specific fluid type....?
We use the Wilwood fluid that we sell. Good boiling points and low cost.

Here are other good options: http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...mparison.shtml
Old 07-13-2010, 04:04 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 369 Likes on 305 Posts

I flush it once a year in spring. Then bleed just a pump or two from each caliper after each track day. I do this to check each corner, brake pad and rotor condition, etc. I've been at events where the instructors asked if anyone inspected their brake system after yesterdays track time, and I was the only one.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:19 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Depends on how hot you get the brakes SRF is the best fluid. More money but last longer so don't look at price strictly. Second cheaper choice I would take Wilwood brand. Bleed off between each event if you run hard and hot.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:28 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

I usually do a full bleed twice a year and caliper bleed once a month or at the track if I'm at CMP.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:31 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by sperkins
I usually do a full bleed twice a year and caliper bleed once a month or at the track if I'm at CMP.
I've had to pull over mid lap at CMP to bleed.

they need to get rid of that trash T14 and create a sweeper on to the front straight off the back short chute. all you do is drag race, park, drag race, park but just changing that 1 corner would help a ton

I do a flush about twice a year, a kiss bleed usually before each day
Old 07-13-2010, 04:52 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by drivinhard
a kiss bleed usually before each day
Damn! You're a romantic bastard!
Old 07-13-2010, 05:21 PM
MungoZ06
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '10-'11

I overdo it ... drive like a wuss and still bleed off end of each track day.
Motul 600
But then I've never had a braking problem either ...
SS lines, drm ducts, hose & spindle mounts, titanium backing plates, now SS pistons in calipers
Old 07-13-2010, 06:59 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Motul RBF600 is a good fluid. I bleed before every event when I'm swapping pads in, and since I drive my car on the street I often bleed after the event when swapping back to the street pads. I tend to over-bleed... brakes are important so I'd rather spend a bit more by bleeding through more fluid. Another reason I've stuck with the RBF600 rather than going SRF.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:50 PM
bags142
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I use valvoline syn and bleed before every event... if I cook the brakes, I will beed after the event and then again before... but there is normally 45 days between events for me. And I drive my car on the street often
Old 07-13-2010, 08:05 PM
CorvetteZ51Racer
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Motul 600 in my C6 Z, bleed before every track DAY (not weekend), and flush every 3 events or 3 months, whichever is less. Tried one time waiting 6 months to flush when I hadn't run an event in 7 months, and boiling the fluid on the 5th lap. Its scary having the pedal go halfway to the floor before grabbing when you're doing 170+ mph.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:39 PM
trapp
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CorvetteZ51Racer
Motul 600 in my C6 Z, bleed before every track DAY (not weekend), and flush every 3 events or 3 months, whichever is less. Tried one time waiting 6 months to flush when I hadn't run an event in 7 months, and boiling the fluid on the 5th lap. Its scary having the pedal go halfway to the floor before grabbing when you're doing 170+ mph.
170mph!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thats outright CRAZY...with walls/trees/tires 30 yards off the track....you the man!
I would be flushing more then my brakes doing 170 on a straight.. I hit maybe 130-135 tops on the tracks I run but they are limited in the striaghts..

Last edited by trapp; 07-13-2010 at 09:41 PM.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:58 PM
CorvetteZ51Racer
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm crazy, but not that crazy. It was a full blown road course set up at an airfield. The back straight was a section of runway with some chicanes built into it. If I lost it, the worst would be to go off in the grass (which was very flat). The crazy part of the layout was 170+ with a 30 mph left hand 180 degree hairpin at the end. Thus the hammered brakes.

I did observe, though, that it doesn't matter how flat the grass runoff is when the guys wrenching on your car forget to tighten the wheel lugs. 997 911 GT3 RS on Michelin slicks (who couldn't catch me, BTW ) lost a wheel that way and shattered one of his carbon-ceramic rotors on his way into the grass.

Get notified of new replies

To How often do you change the brake fluid?

Quick Reply: How often do you change the brake fluid?