Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torque Tube Rebuild - Press Needed

Old 07-13-2010, 09:42 PM
stevensa
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Torque Tube Rebuild - Press Needed?

Looking through the FSM I see that they are using a press to replace the bearings, however after sifting through rebuild how-to threads I have yet to come across anyone mentioning the use of one. Do you need a press to swap the bearings, or is there an alternate way to do it?

Last edited by stevensa; 07-17-2010 at 12:14 AM.
Old 07-17-2010, 12:13 AM
stevensa
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Anyone?
Old 07-17-2010, 03:50 PM
adamsocb
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 497 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by stevensa
Looking through the FSM I see that they are using a press to replace the bearings, however after sifting through rebuild how-to threads I have yet to come across anyone mentioning the use of one. Do you need a press to swap the bearings, or is there an alternate way to do it?
Way back when I was in high school I worked in automotive machine shops. They all had a large hydraulic press and the fixtures to press bearings off and on axles and drive shafts. I looked at the manual through AllData DIY and I see the same type of press and fixtures we used in those shops.
If you find a good local or NAPA auto parts store with a machine shop in your area they should have the equipment needed. Another possibility is a high school or community college auto shop. Be sure to take the manual with you as they may have never seen a Corvette torque tube before. I have a C5 torque tube because even the Chevy dealer in my area was afraid to take it apart and they replaced the whole thing under warranty. I got them to give me the old one and I fixed it myself. It is for sale if you are interested. $500.

Good luck!

Get notified of new replies

To Torque Tube Rebuild - Press Needed

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Torque Tube Rebuild - Press Needed