Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie to HPDE and Autocrossing - Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 07:55 PM
mfquinn
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Newbie to HPDE and Autocrossing - Wheel Help Advice Please

I want to purchase a good quality but fairly inexpensive set of 18" wheels for my C6 so that I don't keep trashing my road tires. I have seen that 18" tires are significantly cheaper then 19" and I would like to know what others are doing with their C6's (Not Z06) for 18" all around. I can not afford (meaning the wife is raising hell) loads of money for some of these beautiful wheels I see for sale. Thanks in advance

Last edited by mfquinn; 07-14-2010 at 08:21 PM. Reason: changing title
Old 07-14-2010, 09:01 PM
bobmoore2
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mfquinn
I want to purchase a good quality but fairly inexpensive set of 18" wheels for my C6 so that I don't keep trashing my road tires. I have seen that 18" tires are significantly cheaper then 19" and I would like to know what others are doing with their C6's (Not Z06) for 18" all around. I can not afford (meaning the wife is raising hell) loads of money for some of these beautiful wheels I see for sale. Thanks in advance
A good set will run about $3000 new. That is two 18 x 10 with 58mm offset, and two 18 x 11 with 79mm offset. CCW is the vendor with the best prices I've seen, and their wheels are good quality (not like some of the "bling wheels" that will break under track day loads).
Old 07-14-2010, 10:10 PM
MartyZ51
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mfquinn
I went through last year what you are going through now and ended up with the CCW 18" setup on all four wheels. Here's how you handle this one:

It's not safe to run track events on slicks with cheep wheels over the long term.
By having 18" rears you will cut your tire cost to a fraction of new because you can buy take offs.
The 18" setup from CCW will enable you to run wider rubber and make you more competitive then stock rims which will put you in a better mood at home.
Wheels like what you will end up with hold their value. The worst case scenario has you getting out of the hobby and selling them on the forum for 70% of what you bought them for.

I predict a call to John at CCW to put this deal to bed.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:43 AM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

maybe not as much width as you want, but running c5z rears 18x10.5" at all 4 corners will give you 315-30/35 worth of rubber and be able to rotate front to rear which will save more $ long term.

they are harder to find lately, but if you check the site each day in the c5 for sale section they pop up and sell fast. anywhere from $250-350 per wheel. Also some companies sell them refurbed. Google for 2001-2004 corvette alcoa/speedline wheels and call around.

that said, I'd love a set of CCW c-10's or 14's, but I have the same corporate cost and budget controller that you do

Get notified of new replies

To Newbie to HPDE and Autocrossing - Help Please

Quick Reply: Newbie to HPDE and Autocrossing - Help Please