Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken Engine update

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 09:24 PM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 297 Likes on 78 Posts

Default Broken Engine update

Hi Guys, the engine has a lifter that turned sideways. Probably from over reving during a downshift. That is the good and bad news, the bad, it ruined the cam. The good is that the block, crank and the rest of the motor is fine. Didn't even hurt the lifter bore. I was planning on rebuilding this fall so we are going to go thru the engine now and freshen everything up including pistons. I think it was lucky that I heard a noise in cylinder #3 when letting the engine cool down in the pits. It was #3 intake lifter. JD

Last edited by JDIllon; 07-16-2010 at 07:54 AM.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:31 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Lucky man
Old 07-15-2010, 09:42 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

That is good to hear Jim. My second engine build this year seems to be doing pretty well, too. The first blow up not so lucky. Maybe we can keep them together for awhile.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:41 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

jim what kinda noise was it making?

wow so the rollers on the lifter was running the opposite direction of the roll of the cam lobe? crazy stuff

i am sure you had a beer when ya found out wasnt anything worse! i am happy for ya too!
Old 07-16-2010, 12:10 AM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Jim,

Class act!

I've been there and done that! :o

Glad you clarified and ended any speculation. It won't be long before you're posting more videos driving past everybody!

Mike
Old 07-16-2010, 12:10 AM
dfinke23
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

How does that happen? Kind of like valve float?
Old 07-16-2010, 12:29 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It's better to be lucky then good sometimes

Randy
Old 07-16-2010, 01:13 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Anyone know why lifters turn? I had this happen on an engine once, I could not find even a guess as to why it happens.
Old 07-16-2010, 07:41 AM
Bink
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
Anyone know why lifters turn? I had this happen on an engine once, I could not find even a guess as to why it happens.
Abrupt change in cam speed (over-rev)...bounced the lifter off the lobe.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:26 AM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Help!

Originally Posted by Bink
This happened on a downshift? Can anyone clarify for me how to downshift safely? My instructor at NCM was critical of my downshifts in that I was doing more of a "blip" in his words and not fully matching the revs. It sounds like if you go too far you blow the engine. I don't expect to get it just right even half the time--so am I supposed to err on the high side or the low side????

Andy
Old 07-16-2010, 08:38 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

I think Jim is referring to mechanically over-revving, not just a bad "blip". In other words letting the clutch out too soon and the tires dragging the engine to 8000rpm or more. Shifting into 1st instead of 3rd can do the same thing. NOT saying that is what happened, but it's about the only way engine revs can get high enough to wreak that kind of havoc.

Still odd the lifter can turn. I assume the LS7 has the retainers like the earlier engine. I assume the lifter must have destroyed the retainer in the process???

GM had a batch of engines in 01' that had bad retainers in them.....one hole was rotated around 10º off axis. I had two good race engines ruined by this issue. No directly related to Jim's problem, but worth sharing. Inspecting your retainers thoroughly is worth the effort!
Old 07-16-2010, 08:47 AM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by sothpaw2
This happened on a downshift? Can anyone clarify for me how to downshift safely? My instructor at NCM was critical of my downshifts in that I was doing more of a "blip" in his words and not fully matching the revs. It sounds like if you go too far you blow the engine. I don't expect to get it just right even half the time--so am I supposed to err on the high side or the low side????

Andy

This would happen during a downshift when you mechanically over-rev the engine. When you mechanically over-rev the engine you shift into a gear that is too low for the speed of the vehicle. The drivetrain motors the engine beyond redline and there is nothing the ECU can do to limit it. It's very stressful on valvetrain and any reciprocating components for that matter. We've finished races with over-revved engines, but they are always rebuilt immediately after or a failure is almost guaranteed.

When you're blipping the throttle, you're inputting the desired engine speed via throttle position, and if you accidentally blip it too high the ECU has the ability to limit that input (unlike a mechanical over-rev). Blipping too high is not going to cause immediate failures, but over time blipping off the rev limiter is going to be harder on equipment. What you want to do is get much of your braking done early, then focus on your downshifting. Don't use the engine to slow down the car immediately in the braking zone. This will be easier on your equipment and you'll be able to better focus on the downshifting. If feel that you don't need to push it so hard in an HPDE. It's not a race, you're there to learn. As you get better and better, you'll brake closer and closer to the limit of the car in the braking zone and that compressed braking distance will require the downshifting to be done in that shorter period of time, but this is a skill developed over a long period of time. That's what makes the pros the pros.

When I heard of the lifter spinning, I took a closer look at the video posted in this thread (http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...vir-video.html). Something caught my eye, so I downloaded and went frame-by-frame. The photo captured below speaks for itself.

(e) zach@katechengines.com
Old 07-16-2010, 09:05 AM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
Still odd the lifter can turn. I assume the LS7 has the retainers like the earlier engine. I assume the lifter must have destroyed the retainer in the process???
A lifter can turn when the valvetrain goes out of control.

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
Originally Posted by Bink
Exactly.

When it goes out of control, the lifter is lofting over the nose of the cam. We can measure this on our Optron Valvetrain Dynamics test cell. An electric motor turns over a "buck". It's a block with a hole cut in the side. There is a dummy crank, no bobweights, no connecting rods, and no pistons. An electric motor drives the engine and spins the valvetrain. A laser is pointed at the valves via the hole in the side of the buck. The movements of the valves are plotted out on a graph and we can measure loft and bounce. Rev limit on the cell is 12,000rpm. We design packages to have a margin of safety above the set redline, but no margin is 8000, or 9000+rpm on any of our LS7 packages.

Here is a video of a recent valvetrain test for Motus Motorcycles' Katech KMV4 direct injected engine.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:44 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
I think Jim is referring to mechanically over-revving, not just a bad "blip". In other words letting the clutch out too soon and the tires dragging the engine to 8000rpm or more. Shifting into 1st instead of 3rd can do the same thing. NOT saying that is what happened, but it's about the only way engine revs can get high enough to wreak that kind of havoc.

GM had a batch of engines in 01' that had bad retainers in them.....one hole was rotated around 10º off axis. I had two good race engines ruined by this issue. No directly related to Jim's problem, but worth sharing. Inspecting your retainers thoroughly is worth the effort!
Number 10s
Old 07-16-2010, 10:37 AM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Man, I am glad that is all it was, Jim. Very good catch and very good ears or did you feel you had over revved it? Anyone who starts getting to the limits has done it. You sure had that car going.

When do you get it back together?

Good info Jason. Your young eyes are a lot better than mine.

Jim, was this going down the front straight and into turn one?

Jim
Old 07-16-2010, 11:37 AM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE=Katech_Jason;1574714416]This would happen during a downshift when you mechanically over-rev the engine.

When you're blipping the throttle, you're inputting the desired engine speed via throttle position, and if you accidentally blip it too high the ECU has the ability to limit that input (unlike a mechanical over-rev). Blipping too high is not going to cause immediate failures, but over time blipping off the rev limiter is going to be harder on equipment. What you want to do is get much of your braking done early, then focus on your downshifting.>

Thanks Jason! Glad to know too much blip is not the end of the world. I have been braking harder earlier in the zone to get most of it done, then doing the shift at the end. That's easy in T1 at VIR but I can't do it going down from 130 to 70mph turn in at the end of the back straight. In my video, it's about a 2-3 sec braking zone. I never put the clutch in below 100 mph (I'll be going to 3rd with redline at about 100mph) so that way I can't possibly mechanically over-rev. I want to do ALL the mechanics of the shift below 100mph.

Andy

Last edited by sothpaw2; 07-16-2010 at 11:43 AM.
Old 07-16-2010, 12:54 PM
shifter77
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get her done

Get notified of new replies

To Broken Engine update

Old 07-16-2010, 01:10 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

I saw that in the video too, but didn't go back for analysis. I caution people that down shifting "through the gears" increases the opportunity for this to happen.... Synchros were invented for a reason, and I find it best to do a single shift (5th to 3rd directly for instance), and not let the clutch out until the last second before turning.

Just my opinion, many drivers like running through the gears, but I prefer to focus on braking 100%, then grab the gear and clutch at the end.
Old 07-16-2010, 01:38 PM
bowtiguy
Melting Slicks

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

looks like link bar morels are in your future....

but then again maybe that pulls the weak link out of the equation and it could have been much worse..
Old 07-16-2010, 01:39 PM
Bink
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Katech_Jason
A lifter can turn when the valvetrain goes out of control.

Here is a video of a recent valvetrain test for Motus Motorcycles' Katech KMV4 direct injected engine.
Cool video.

I can see the loft. Is there a little bounce going on at the higher rev range??

Quick Reply: Broken Engine update