Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Save the manuals

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 09:29 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Default Save the manuals

No, I don't mean the FSM's

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...car_and_driver

a stick shift wasn't even an option on my truck when I bought it.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:09 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Unfortunately, we better get used to it. With Govt regs on mileage and emissions, manuals are going to disappear before long. Look at the mileage that the europeans are getting on the large high HP sedans with 6 - 7 - and now 8 speed trannys. If GM would offer a really good double clutch unit on the Vette, I would purchase one in an instant.
Old 07-21-2010, 03:47 AM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My wife tried the DSG on her GTI and still bought a 6 speed manual. I never tried it, but she said "it just didn't feel right."

Of course, same woman I threw out on Sears Point and Laguna Seca as her first two tracks in a car she'd never driven before -- Mazda RX-7 prepped to Pro7 rules when she'd never driven RWD -- and she hung in, even in the absolute downpour at Laguna. So take it for what it is. She's said recently she'd like an automatic Corvette to commute in.
Old 07-21-2010, 05:40 AM
tjZ06
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've driven a lot of "automated manual" transmisions, mostly the "DSG" type but even a F430 w/ the F1 single clutch (the new 458 has a dual clutch). The earlier systems were pretty poor around town, but all of them were pretty impressive at "race pace." The newest systems are really, really good.

The reality is they're better than even a professional driver with a "real" manual. Lightning quick upshifts that don't upset the chassis, never a missed gear, perfect rev-matched downshifts every time..

All that being said, I still prefer shifting myself. Especially for a fun street car where I'm not worried about extracting tenths of a second. I'd love to have the sequential that LG offers for my Z06, or if Chevy ever put a DSG in the 'vette and it could get retrofitted in my Z I'd have to think about it.

-TJ
Old 07-21-2010, 07:55 AM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,741 Likes on 939 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

I went to a BMW ride and drive event on Monday and both the BMW 535i and the Mercedes E350 I tested were autos, and both felt unresponsive and boring. The E350 had paddle shifters and even in sport mode it shifted very sluggishly. The BMW did feel a lot better with its auto-stick shifter but neither was very "sport" inspiring. I drove both cars as if they were my own, so you know it was a good test!

If this becomes the only option for Corvettes I hope they get it right.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:31 AM
tjZ06
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kubs
I went to a BMW ride and drive event on Monday and both the BMW 535i and the Mercedes E350 I tested were autos, and both felt unresponsive and boring. The E350 had paddle shifters and even in sport mode it shifted very sluggishly. The BMW did feel a lot better with its auto-stick shifter but neither was very "sport" inspiring. I drove both cars as if they were my own, so you know it was a good test!

If this becomes the only option for Corvettes I hope they get it right.
Both of the cars you drove have traditional "torque converter automatic" transmissions, not automated manuals like this thread is about.

-TJ
Old 07-21-2010, 09:12 AM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
St Jude Donor '13

The speed and efficiency of these DSG's makes them pretty inevitable. I doubt we'll see DSG-only in the Vettes in C7 but by the time C8 rolls around we might. I do however think it is very important that C7 has that available to keep Corvette world-class in performance. I think the question would be more if they offer two automatics in C7 to provide a lower price point or if manufacturing costs would insist on only offering one.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:55 AM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,741 Likes on 939 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by tjZ06
Both of the cars you drove have traditional "torque converter automatic" transmissions, not automated manuals like this thread is about.

-TJ
Gotcha! Good.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:05 AM
TJM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheKomoman
The speed and efficiency of these DSG's makes them pretty inevitable. I doubt we'll see DSG-only in the Vettes in C7 but by the time C8 rolls around we might. I do however think it is very important that C7 has that available to keep Corvette world-class in performance. I think the question would be more if they offer two automatics in C7 to provide a lower price point or if manufacturing costs would insist on only offering one.

What's the question? One more "edge" to minimize driver error?

The future is a Nintendo generation that can run with less skill, because it won't be needed?

Heck?! Why get IN the car!!! Use cameras, remote controls, a couple vibrating devices in your pants, and your good to go? Stay at home, write a check, win a race?

No danger, no effort? That's the way things are going?? aren't they??

TJM
Old 07-21-2010, 12:10 PM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
St Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by TJM
What's the question? One more "edge" to minimize driver error?

The future is a Nintendo generation that can run with less skill, because it won't be needed?

Heck?! Why get IN the car!!! Use cameras, remote controls, a couple vibrating devices in your pants, and your good to go? Stay at home, write a check, win a race?

No danger, no effort? That's the way things are going?? aren't they??

TJM

I wasn't expressing my opinion, just commenting on market realities for these guys. I absolutely love driving a manual, having the control and testing MY skills not just the car and while I understand and appreciate your passion it ignores the reality that our view is a small, small percentage. Corvette has almost always had a significant majority of volume with automatics. They gotta be able to sell them to more than just the truly hardcore and the fact is the vast majority of their customers don't enjoy the cars in the fashion we do. So if that means DSGs get built so be it because it allows them to sell enough volume to still build the cars we love, and with any luck that will continue to be proper cars with 3 pedals for a long, long time.

Get notified of new replies

To Save the manuals

Quick Reply: Save the manuals