Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How/Where are you C5 guys mounting your harnesses?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 02:01 AM
0Superman09
Former Vendor

Received 61 Likes on 53 Posts

Default How/Where are you C5 guys mounting your harnesses?

I purchased 2 Schroth hybrid 2 harnesses. I have the shoulder harnesses set up just fine with my crossbar but I am unsure where and how to secure the 2 side lap belt and the 2 crotch belts. The harnesses are these: http://www.schrothracing.com/store/C...brid/hybrid-II

As you can see the ends are those clip styles.... some/any instruction would be awesome! Thanks in advance!

-Jon
Old 07-22-2010, 02:25 AM
96solo
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Superman09
I purchased 2 Schroth hybrid 2 harnesses. I have the shoulder harnesses set up just fine with my crossbar but I am unsure where and how to secure the 2 side lap belt and the 2 crotch belts. The harnesses are these: http://www.schrothracing.com/store/C...brid/hybrid-II

As you can see the ends are those clip styles.... some/any instruction would be awesome! Thanks in advance!

-Jon
Been here.

R-D racing makes a great submarine belt the bolts direct to the stock seat with no drilling or cutting. It comes with or without Extinguisher mount. Get the one with the mount. Many racing organizations require this safety feature, but more important, it will save you car. It saved mine from a fire at PIR.

Get the quick clips from Brey Krause for Corvettes. One mounts to the seat on the console side and if done right can leave the stock belt too. This is a very slick bolt on belt brackets. A very small a 1/8" cut in the rocker cover is necessary widening of the original slit, but is so slight, no one will notice and makes it look factory. Cut with a fine hack saw and clean up with a file.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:44 AM
beerkat
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

I use the B/K lap Belt mounting hardware.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:44 AM
0Superman09
Former Vendor

Is this the submarine belt? http://www.r-dracing.com/R-D%20Racin...unting-kit.htm

Thanks! I have the R-D lap mount kit on the drivers side, but the bolt is too big for the mounting tab on my harness, of course! haha

Originally Posted by 96solo
Been here.

R-D racing makes a great submarine belt the bolts direct to the stock seat with no drilling or cutting. It comes with or without Extinguisher mount. Get the one with the mount. Many racing organizations require this safety feature, but more important, it will save you car. It saved mine from a fire at PIR.

Get the quick clips from Brey Krause for Corvettes. One mounts to the seat on the console side and if done right can leave the stock belt too. This is a very slick bolt on belt brackets. A very small a 1/8" cut in the rocker cover is necessary widening of the original slit, but is so slight, no one will notice and makes it look factory. Cut with a fine hack saw and clean up with a file.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:47 AM
96solo
Burning Brakes

Is this the submarine belt? http://www.r-dracing.com/R-D%20Racin...unting-kit.htm

Thanks! I have the R-D lap mount kit on the drivers side, but the bolt is too big for the mounting tab on my harness, of course! haha
Yes that is it. What bolt? G-force subbelt just goes around the bar just like the shoulder harness goes around your harness bar. No bolt needed.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:32 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

You should be aware that these are significantly sub-optimal mounting solutions based on convenience as opposed to safety.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:50 PM
Zenak
Terminal Vette Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...e-learned.html

Sticky in this section on Harness and Safty
Old 07-22-2010, 06:04 PM
Pumba
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 102 Likes on 56 Posts

Hardbar also makes a lap - antisubmarine belt mount for C5s and C6s:

-
Old 07-22-2010, 06:06 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

The subbelt pulls in the opposite direction of the shoulder belts so the lap belt doesn't get pulled up by the shoulder belts. The BK lap belt mounts also include a mount for the sub belts. You attach the sub belts to the mounts and lay them on the seat, sit down, pull them up between your legs and fasten them to the lap belts. It makes for a very tight arrangement and the subbelts do exactly what they are supposed to do which is to keep the lap belt from moving up off your pelvis. The Schroth belts should work very nicely with the BK mounts.

Whatever you do, do not fasten the subbelt over the front of the seat as it becomes useless in that position.

Edit:
The Hardbar although different than the BK mount does pretty much the same thing. An excellent product.

Bill
Old 07-24-2010, 12:02 AM
0Superman09
Former Vendor

So a BK lap belt mount will allow me to mount my 2 side lap belts and my 2 crotch belts?
Old 07-24-2010, 01:17 AM
Armycop
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So a BK lap belt mount will allow me to mount my 2 side lap belts and my 2 crotch belts?
Yes. The BK lap belt mounts have two slots each; top slots are for your lap belts, bottom slots for the sub belt. In this configuration, you are sitting on your sub belts. Jewelry case gets a little snug, but they in this position they work well. Just make sure you get the sub belts aligned to the SIDE of your boys, or you will be singing soprano after a one good hard stomp on the brakes! (please don't ask me how I know this, it's a painful memory...)
Old 07-24-2010, 07:46 AM
kmagvette
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

for the BK lap-belt kit. Prior to going with the full cage I had this setup. Go with a 6-point and clip-ins; the BK is designed for this specific set-up and works very well. You retain full use of the stock belts for off track activities.

OGRacing has the kit.

If you go this route and have a C5, shoot me a PM. I have the interior plastic parts already cut for the BK lap belts kit. So you can keep yours in case you want to go back to stock.
Old 07-24-2010, 11:05 AM
0Superman09
Former Vendor

PM sent! Thanks!
Old 07-24-2010, 11:22 AM
0Superman09
Former Vendor

Also! Where are you guys purchasing your BK products through? Thanks!
Old 07-24-2010, 02:50 PM
Armycop
Drifting

C'mon now, do some of your own work...

http://www.bkauto.com/corvette/r9115.php
Old 07-24-2010, 04:50 PM
0Superman09
Former Vendor

LOL. I've found that already but you can't order through them direct which is why I asked where you guys like to order your bk stuff from in case a vendor carries it. Just looking out
Old 07-28-2010, 08:38 PM
redrckt97
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by kmagvette
for the BK lap-belt kit. Prior to going with the full cage I had this setup. Go with a 6-point and clip-ins; the BK is designed for this specific set-up and works very well. You retain full use of the stock belts for off track activities.

OGRacing has the kit.

If you go this route and have a C5, shoot me a PM. I have the interior plastic parts already cut for the BK lap belts kit. So you can keep yours in case you want to go back to stock.
hope this is not a hijack -- I have the BK lap belt kit and have the inside brakcets installed -- I need to remove the outer belt bolts but need that torx t-500 to get the off -- WHERE did you get the torx t500 .. Sears hardware and the local auto parts places did not have it.

Get notified of new replies

To How/Where are you C5 guys mounting your harnesses?

Old 07-28-2010, 10:37 PM
Armycop
Drifting

LOL. I've found that already but you can't order through them direct which is why I asked where you guys like to order your bk stuff from in case a vendor carries it. Just looking out
You're killing me here...

http://www.bkauto.com/corvette/order_corvette.php
Old 07-28-2010, 10:38 PM
Armycop
Drifting

Originally Posted by redrckt97
hope this is not a hijack -- I have the BK lap belt kit and have the inside brakcets installed -- I need to remove the outer belt bolts but need that torx t-500 to get the off -- WHERE did you get the torx t500 .. Sears hardware and the local auto parts places did not have it.
It's a T-50, and autozone carries a quality kit with sizes ranging from t20 up to T55.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:41 PM
0Superman09
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Armycop
Placed my order 3 days ago

Don't need to be so harsh... was trying to see if you guys had a specific VENDOR I could support that carries BK stuff, was not being lazy!

Quick Reply: How/Where are you C5 guys mounting your harnesses?