Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

UTCC Update?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 12:20 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Default UTCC Update?

Anyone at the track that can post updates?
Old 07-23-2010, 02:14 PM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Yeah

I'm assuming the factory Viper with Kuno Wittmer, the Phil Currin Challenger and Skeen's Challenger are duking it out for the top spot.

I see Farmer, drivinhard, and Woods from the the forum are all in attendence.

Best of luck
Old 07-23-2010, 03:47 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Everyone's head probably popped like a melon in the heat.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:02 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason
Everyone's head probably popped like a melon in the heat.
Dang close.

Phil Currin in the Challenger was top dawg ~1:53. Factory backed Viper ACR X was the top Varsity with a ~1:54.

David Farmer, Drivinhard and a few other Vettes were running. I did not see the sheets - David did a ~2:05 and Drivinhard ~2:05 from talking to them. Grip was not great.

Clay had a left front hub failure and wheel came off his C5Z - not sure if he was in UTCC or not. All we could do was offer condolences and offer him the shade of Khois easyup to do the hub replacement.

Last edited by varkwso; 07-24-2010 at 06:00 AM.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:38 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

here's the results

http://www.mylaps.com/results/showrun.jsp?id=1604728

some seriously high hp cars, I couldn't believe how fast some of them went by me on the straights, and I never lifted for any of them.

the track was way slick today, I put on sticker 295 A6's for the first timed session and they felt as bad as the 275 scrubs that came off. and sticker A6's never feel bad.

had a blast running with farmer, he was on old junk tires, we both were pretty sideways during that 2nd session but dave had already changed rears and said it was an improvement.

I need more seat time at VIR (my 3rd visit there today), I learned a lot just riding behind farmer.

102F on the external temp during one timed session when I noticed

I figure 2:02s in the fall when it's cooler maybe? car felt like a dog on the straights, just no power in the heat
Old 07-23-2010, 09:07 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Great job guys. Glad to hear y'all made it through the day without any casualties - man or car.
Hate it that it was so brutally hot out there and grip was lacking. Good luck for those of you that are running tomorrow.
Old 07-24-2010, 04:21 AM
Woods
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 96CollectorSport
Yeah

I'm assuming the factory Viper with Kuno Wittmer, the Phil Currin Challenger and Skeen's Challenger are duking it out for the top spot.

I see Farmer, drivinhard, and Woods from the the forum are all in attendence.

Best of luck
I got 9th overall with a 2:03.5 and Second place in Independent Varsity class, Self prepared. In 100+ degree weather it was hard to drive both mentally and physically. 1st Place in this class was won by a Kit car called a Super Stalker which has a LS3 vette motor in a Lotus super 7 type chassis. The weather was over 100 degree and I saw 295 degrees on oil temp and 6 PSI oil pressure coming off the track hot and thats with a ARE dry sump.

I finally got to meet and chat with Dave F. Great guy and very knowlegable. I have yet to run in to driven hard

Last edited by Woods; 07-25-2010 at 10:23 AM.
Old 07-24-2010, 06:12 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Woods
I got 9th overall with a 2:03.5 and Second place in Independent Varsity class, Self prepared. In 100+ degree weather is was hard to drive both mentally and physically. 1st Place in this class was won by a Kit car called a Super Stalker which has a LS3 vette motor in a Lotus super 7 type chassis. The weather was over 100 degree and I saw 295 degrees on oil temp and 6 PSI oil pressure coming off the track hot and thats with a ARE dry sump.

I finally got to meet and chat with Dave F. Great guy and very knowlegable. I have yet to run in to driven hard
Nice job. Drivinhard will be getting to the track about 0650 today if you are here for the weekend. I am close to the grid in a silver 98 Coupe.
Old 07-24-2010, 03:38 PM
Woods
Pro

Originally Posted by varkwso
Nice job. Drivinhard will be getting to the track about 0650 today if you are here for the weekend. I am close to the grid in a silver 98 Coupe.
I was scheduled for NASA TTU this weekend but I think I hurt the motor and called it. Drove home last night 5 hrs...drink lots of water and watch your car temps....good luck

Last edited by Woods; 07-25-2010 at 10:24 AM.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:24 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Sorry to hear about your troubles Michael. Hopefully it's not as bad as you think.

Saw where drvinhard did a 2:06 flat today in TTA with scrub 275 skinnies and an extra 80lbs over yesterday - good for 3rd overall FTD beating out a lot of good cars.

Congrats to David Farmer also with a 2:06 flat and 2nd overall FTD.

Any other interesting news from the day?

Here's a couple of pretty cool videos that GRM put together from yesterday.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/utcc/updates/
Old 07-25-2010, 02:34 AM
Greywolfe
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice job Mark. Very impressive.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:05 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by sperkins
I have a student with an '86 Corolla GTS (the old rwd hatchback ones) that's stripped to the bone, 2200 lbs w/ driver, runs little 13" legends Hoosier slicks, dang thing must corner @ 2 G. lol. it's frigging awesome. I was having as much fun riding with him as driving. guy's got an S2000 motor swap for it, thing is gonna be a rocket with another 100 hp. he's gonna be in TT soon as he gets his checkride, hopefully in a few events. look out TTD or wherever this thing lands!
Old 07-25-2010, 06:36 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Found your race shop yesterday. Nice building neighbors, 1 stop shopping

Old 07-25-2010, 06:46 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Sorry to hear about your troubles Michael. Hopefully it's not as bad as you think.

Saw where drvinhard did a 2:06 flat today in TTA with scrub 275 skinnies and an extra 80lbs over yesterday - good for 3rd overall FTD beating out a lot of good cars.

Congrats to David Farmer also with a 2:06 flat and 2nd overall FTD.

Here's a couple of pretty cool videos that GRM put together from yesterday.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/utcc/updates/
It was a good day - but it was hot. Traffic was impressive in TT. Congrats to the fast times

My Mustang student blew his engine yesterday.
Old 07-25-2010, 07:19 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Old 07-25-2010, 10:47 AM
RogueVette
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

Wish we could have made it down there in either Danny's ST1 car or James's ST2 car both have run sub 2's in that crazy VIR heat.

Oh well a TTS/ST2 record on the Club Course at M-O will have to do

We'll be back there next year for the UTCC. Jeff thanks for showing Clay some hospitality after his 150mph, 3 wheeled, no brakes bull ride

Congrats to Woods on the top 10 finish!
Old 07-25-2010, 11:19 AM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by drivinhard
Found your race shop yesterday. Nice building neighbors, 1 stop shopping

That's awesome. At first glance I thought it was another one of your famous photochops, but that's a real sign.

http://www.perkinsracing.com/collectables/default.htm

Last edited by sperkins; 07-25-2010 at 11:22 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To UTCC Update?

Old 07-25-2010, 12:32 PM
Woods
Pro

[/QUOTE]Congrats to Woods on the top 10 finish![/QUOTE]

Thanks a 2:03 in the heat was about as fast I could go. I was consistant and ran 2:03's on all 3 events. The track actually got slower as the day progressed.

Thanks to the DRM coilover shocks running in 100+ degree heat against NO BS Pro drivers, car control was essential.

I was on Hoosier A's and I don't think they were the tire to be on. The track was slick from the start on Friday.

I was wondering if anyone was smart enough to run on R's this week end? and how they felt?

I have some in car video and will post a link when I can. stay tuned

Last edited by Woods; 07-25-2010 at 02:19 PM.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:13 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

the heat was brutal all weekend, just brutal. got to meet a few more faces and names, which is always good.

I look forward to going back in some cooler months to hopefully drop some times, but I will never instruct/TT for NASA MA ever again. It's pathetic how they treat their TT instructors.

managed a 2:05.3 today getting hung up behind a miata at the top of esses and passing on the inside @ 10. I'd say there's a 2:01 in TTA in cool air, without any aero, you can only go through the esses so fast

I think I learned more riding behind Farmer for the few laps we did than the previous 2 visits.

I need to go there for a 2 day event with a trailer full of tires and brake pads and turn 70 laps a day.

I am totally diggin the Quartermaster cluch
Old 07-25-2010, 10:00 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

it was a miserable weekend....still fun, but absolutely miserable. Pulled the car out and immediately noticed my right-rear tire was chorded. Moments later I realized I had left my helmet at home! I should have just packed up and left.......

Anyway, car was a mess on the chorded tire, so I stuck some borrowed 295 R6's on the back (marked with 14 heat cycles) and while drivability improved, my lap times actually got worse.

I must say the UTCC format is really unimpressive.....45mph pace car and required 3 car length spacing pretty much ruins the first lap, and I only drive 1 lap generally. That combined with some fast, yet idiotic, drivers, really took the fun out of it for me.

The rest of the weekend was OK, enjoyed a little driving and helping students, but the heat was really unbearable. I don't know what kind of gravel they use at VIR, but at 5:30PM on Saturday, my thermometer read 107º in the SHADE!

Quick Reply: UTCC Update?