Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IRL drama

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 02:58 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Default IRL drama

Castroneves not happy

http://sports.yahoo.com/nascar/blog/...=nascar-258150

Milka Duno on probation

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/motor...86645180_x.htm
Old 07-26-2010, 03:13 PM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Duno should have been kicked out long ago.

I'd be pissed too if I was HC, but to go yell at officials like that..not my place as the driver. Let the team owners/managers/principals deal with the politics. It's one thing to comment about it in a post race interview, but to go on a tirade like that, not quite right..
Old 07-26-2010, 04:18 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Robbed without a gun!
Old 07-26-2010, 04:28 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

officials POV

Originally Posted by lander
Actually, he violated the rules that were clearly explained to all of the drivers in the drivers meeting. They told all drivers that they were going to divide the track in half down the middle, and if you were to the right side of that line and not attempting to pass someone, that you were blocking and would be flagged for it.

He was waaaay to the right blocking his own teammate and got penalized for it. Good call in my book.

Not sure if that first video explains it as well as this one does:

Old 07-26-2010, 04:39 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

What was he supposed to do make a 90 degree right turn? He moved out to set up for the turn. Look at the marks on the concrete where cars had been running all day. They really need to let racing get back to racing. NASCAR, IRL F1, SCCA, etc. are all out to regulate and show their authority. My 2 cents is Castroneves won!

Jim
Old 07-26-2010, 04:49 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Out side lane or INside lane WTF ???

so much for late turn in hit the apex and track out.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:53 PM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Painrace
What was he supposed to do make a 90 degree right turn? He moved out to set up for the turn. Look at the marks on the concrete where cars had been running all day. They really need to let racing get back to racing. NASCAR, IRL F1, SCCA, etc. are all out to regulate and show their authority. My 2 cents is Castroneves won!

Jim
I agree. That's a pretty lame 'drivers meeting rule' imo. He didn't make 2 moves to block someone; hell, he didn't make 1 move to block. He tracked out from the previous corner and held a defensive line into the next. I don't care who you are, your chances of passing someone on the OUTSIDE of a corner to take the race lead are pretty damn slim. So I whole heartedly disagree with the Stewards of that IRL race considering that a block; let them race.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:45 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

they need to paint lines if that is what they want. People always push and drift out. If he was going side to side back and forth I would say yes blocking.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:40 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,022 Likes on 1,312 Posts

I use to blame the stupid rules and childish behavior of the IRL on it's founder, Tony George, and USAC. They got rid of USAC and nothing changed. They got rid of Tony and things still didn't improve. When they finally succeeded in killing CART and merging them into the IRL, I thought that maybe that would be what they needed to become a professional organization. After seeing yesterdays Edmonton race, I guess there's no hope for the Is-it Racing League, they will always be a silly sideshow in the world of professional auto racing.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:38 PM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

These clowns make nascar look good.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:48 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

thats what you get when you race on an airport with no defined track and no defined "racing line"...
Old 07-26-2010, 08:01 PM
shifter77
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This could hurt the IRL . Nonsense rules.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:13 AM
F4Gary
Le Mans Master

Received 776 Likes on 469 Posts
2018 C3 of Year Finalist
2016 C3 of the Year Finalist

I can't believe his own teammate Power threw him under the bus. If I were Penske, I'd fire Power and call up Graham Rahal. What a crappy teammate.

Helio won in my book too.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:21 AM
dfinke23
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gbvette62
They will always be a silly sideshow in the world of professional auto racing.
..........that's what you get when you race at an airport and not a racetrack. It's embarrassing and the spec cars are eyesores. Penske needs to take the helm of a real Formula 1 effort and quite dicking around with these clowns.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:36 AM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Many years ago I ran a SCCA national at Topeka, KA at some WWII airport that was just miles of concrete. The corners were marked with hay bales. After the first session I asked one of the other drivers why so many cars were cutting one corner short and he said, "The corner workers are so far away and we are going so fast they can't tell if you short cut the corner!" I did it for the rest of the event and never returned. Airport courses do present unusual problems.

Jim
Old 07-28-2010, 11:58 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

nice good story jim
Old 07-29-2010, 09:59 PM
Gatorac
Pro

While the I think the rule is a bit stupid, it's pretty black and white.

It's not "your allowed one move only" or "you must hold your line whatever it is you choose". The rule is "you can only be on the inside line if your are attempting a pass". That's it. Helio was on the inside lane and he was in first place and therefore could not be attempting a pass. He held his line and his move out was obviously not a "double move". Neither of those things mattered as the rule is "you can only be on the inside lane if your are attempting a pass".

I suspect Helio held his inside line thinking he was adhering to a no blocking rule. Easily understandable mistake in the heat of racing. Not to the rules for this race though.

Get notified of new replies

To IRL drama

Old 07-30-2010, 09:53 AM
mikahb
Vetteless
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

I tried to watch this race on DVR after returning from vacation and shut it off and deleted it about 2/3 of the way through - now I wish I'd kept it (youtube vid is gone, btw).

Some of the drivers are talented, but the racing sucks and I'd say 30% of the pass attempts resulted in a full-course caution.

I agree Helio broke the rule (from another video I saw) but that does not change the fact the rule was lame.

The only encouragement I get from this series is that if sponsors are willing to step up and pay money to be involved in this mess, surely it can't be that hard to find sponsorship out there!
Old 07-30-2010, 10:52 AM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by mikahb
I tried to watch this race on DVR after returning from vacation and shut it off and deleted it about 2/3 of the way through - now I wish I'd kept it (youtube vid is gone, btw).

Some of the drivers are talented, but the racing sucks and I'd say 30% of the pass attempts resulted in a full-course caution.

I agree Helio broke the rule (from another video I saw) but that does not change the fact the rule was lame.

The only encouragement I get from this series is that if sponsors are willing to step up and pay money to be involved in this mess, surely it can't be that hard to find sponsorship out there!
How did he brake the rule? Look at the 2nd video above and look at all of the cars behind him how far out they go.

Jim
Old 07-30-2010, 11:09 AM
Scooter 94
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Brian Barnhart is a worthless carryover from the Tony George era. The only thing worse than a sole dictator making up the rules is a STUPID dictator who's never driven a race car, and wants to influence the outcome from a control booth. Divide a 200 foot wide runway into two lanes? Gimme a 'effin' break. What makes airport racing so exciting is having eight cars wide trying to fit in turn one.

If Randy Bernard keeps this jack*ss, the IRL is dead.

Quick Reply: IRL drama