Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to drive at LeMans with only 4 years of experience.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 10:31 AM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default How to drive at LeMans with only 4 years of experience.

There was some discussion a short while back on how to become a professional road racer. Well aside from a gigantic pocketbook, here's how Scott Tucker did it. Interestingly enough there is praise given to Scott admiring his natural driving talents that are still needed beyond writing a check.

From the Wall Street Journal:

Racing's One-in-a-Million Story

After taking up the sport just four years ago, a 48-year-old American makes history at Le Mans

By A.J. BAIME

Last month, on a course in the French countryside outside the city of Le Mans, Scott Tucker slipped into an Audi R10 racing car to compete in one of the world's most glamorous races, the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

The car he drove is a three-time winner of the race, a technical marvel so efficient it barely makes a sound even as it's throttling over 200 mph.

Competing for the first time at Le Mans on a tricky twisting circuit in front of 240,000 spectators, Mr. Tucker handled the pressure admirably. He cracked 200 mph on his first lap and from there, during six hours behind the wheel, posted consistent times in the neighborhood of three minutes, 35 seconds, which put him squarely in the middle of the pack among some of the world's top drivers.

Scott Tucker, top, in an Audi R10 TDI during the 24 Hours of Le Mans
It's impressive enough that Mr. Tucker, at 48 years old, fulfilled a lifelong dream by racing at Le Mans, a 87-year-old event that's considered the Super Bowl of international sports car racing. He also became the first American to pilot one of Audi's multi-million dollar turbodiesel roadsters in competition.

But here's what's really remarkable about Mr. Tucker: Until four years ago, the wealthy private investor from Leawood, Kan., had never stepped on a racetrack or sat behind the wheel of a racing car. "He has to be a natural or he couldn't do that," said Richard Attwood, a Le Mans champion in 1970 who still competes in vintage races. "He [must have] a balance that is inherent in his body."

Leo Hindery, a media company CEO and entrepreneur who has raced at Le Mans, called Mr. Tucker's results "incredible."

"The R10 is like a jet plane," Mr. Hindery added. "Anybody who can get an R10 around that track in 3 minutes and 30 seconds deserves a lot of accolades. It's a gift."

Automobile racing has always attracted wealthy aspirants—the type of people who can afford to move pricey machinery around the globe and pay for damages when the metal gets bent out of shape. But it's extremely rare, at least in modern times, for one of these people to demonstrate world-class talent.

To gain the experience to compete professionally, most drivers today begin training long before they're old enough to get their driver's licenses. Seven time Formula 1 champion Michael Schumacher was hammering go-kart throttles on racetracks when he was four years old. "Motorsport requires a longer apprenticeship than other sports—if you're going to continue to live," said Mr. Attwood, the Le Mans champion. "The more experience you have, the better able you are to cope with what comes up."

Mr. Tucker's unusual trajectory to Le Mans began after he saw a Ferrari Challenge competition in Florida. After building a fortune as an investor in real estate, hotels, restaurants, internet companies, loan companies and car dealerships, Mr. Tucker built a miniature auto museum in his home outside Kansas City. In 2007 he decided to start his own racing team, Level 5 Motorsports, and began entering GT races in the Rolex Series and finishing well back from the leaders. Last season, Mr. Tucker broke through when he won the Sports Car Club of America National Championship.

In January, Mr. Tucker's team placed third overall at the 24 Hours of Daytona. But it was Le Mans that Mr. Tucker had pinned his hopes on. "It's the biggest race in the world," he said. "It's the race all the manufacturers want to win."

Le Mans is widely considered the most important singular competition for manufacturers aiming to prove on the track that their cars are the world's most intelligently engineered. The race consists of teams of three drivers, each with a single car, who are charged with driving as fast as they can without frying the machine. The car that travels farthest after 24 hours wins.

To help him prepare to qualify for the race, Mr. Tucker woke up every day at 4:30 am to do an hour of cardio, then work with a trainer doing core and flexibility exercises. He turned to his mentor, the French pilot Christophe Bouchut, who won at Le Mans in 1993, to teach him how to handle the elevation changes and make the swift left- and right-hand turns that often trip up veteran drivers at the course. "You must be on the limit everywhere playing with the balance of your tires and engine," Mr. Bouchut explained. The race moves so quickly, he said, that while the car is on one corner, "your mind and vision is already in the next."

Mr. Bouchut arranged for Mr. Tucker to take a seat in the Audi R10 TDI, which was fielded by Kolles, a German racing team. Mr. Tucker flew to France to test the R10 prior to the race, but when he got in the car for qualifying at Le Mans (at night, no less), he still didn't know the machine or the track with any intimacy. Soon he was ripping around the course at 200 mph in the dark.

"Everyone on the team's going, take it easy, get used to the car. I swear to God, after two or three laps, you could already hear them on the radio: Now you start picking it up and you're like, Jesus Christ, I just got in this thing!"

He ended up qualifying at 3 minutes 30.907 seconds. "I think they were surprised how quickly I got up to speed," Mr. Tucker said.

Mr. Tucker's Audi didn't win at Le Mans. One of his teammates crashed after 13 hours and the car was retired. Mr. Tucker said the demands of racing at that level are draining.

"It gets awful hot in the cockpit—I lose five to seven pounds each race. And the guys I'm racing with are 10 to 15 years younger than I am," he said. "I have to work my tail off physically just to be in the same ballpark."

Nonetheless, Mr. Tucker's unlikely racing career is still ascending. His team is currently leading in points in his class in the highly competitive American Le Mans Series. Level 5's next major competition is August 7 at the American Le Mans Series Mid-Ohio Sports Car Challenge, which will be aired on CBS.

Should the team make it onto the podium, Mr. Tucker will host his traditional post race victory ceremony—one that befits an American rookie. There will be no bottles of Grand Cru Bordeaux. Mr. Tucker really likes fried chicken.

"You ever heard of Popeyes?" he asked.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:42 AM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Old 07-29-2010, 10:44 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Leh Keen finished second in a Ferrari in his class and took the checkered in his first LeMans race. I remember when he was in DE...

He can drive and has the backing needed to show it.
Old 07-29-2010, 11:53 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

That Leh Keen ?

WOW cool
Old 07-29-2010, 12:53 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

all I need is talent and money. I'm glad i already have the good looks
Old 07-29-2010, 01:40 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by drivinhard
Sorry. Your kids get looks from their Mom. Maybe all three....
Old 07-29-2010, 05:28 PM
Bink
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by drivinhard
Old 07-29-2010, 05:34 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Now where was that link on someone can become a pro driver ??
Old 07-29-2010, 06:11 PM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,403 Likes on 610 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Contributor

Originally Posted by Scott Tucker
. Soon he was ripping around the course at 200 mph in the dark.

"Everyone on the team's going, take it easy, get used to the car. I swear to God, after two or three laps, you could already hear them on the radio: Now you start picking it up and you're like, Jesus Christ, I just got in this thing!"

That is a very cool story. I think Mr Tucker even suprised himself some....

I'll be at Mid-Ohio next weekend. I'll have to look him up...

Thanks for the story Mike!!! That was great reading...
Old 07-30-2010, 12:27 PM
L98Terror
Race Director

W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

Kewl story
Old 07-31-2010, 12:30 PM
mousecatcher
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they didn't mention that he was 8s off the pace
Old 07-31-2010, 01:06 PM
Bink
Safety Car

Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

I wonder what his costs were.....i.e. what the ride cost him??
Old 07-31-2010, 01:10 PM
MJM
Drifting

Originally Posted by mousecatcher
they didn't mention that he was 8s off the pace

Well that kind of money not only buys you a ride but a favorable press release too!

Sounds like he had fun though, good for him.
Old 07-31-2010, 01:40 PM
Bahnzii
Racer

Great story
Old 07-31-2010, 01:58 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

All it takes is talent and money. Well why didn't you say so?

Get notified of new replies

To How to drive at LeMans with only 4 years of experience.

Quick Reply: How to drive at LeMans with only 4 years of experience.