Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track pad question

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 02:29 PM
TGiuliante
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track pad question

I know this is a very discretionable topic however i would like your opinions / experiences. As I am new to a Z (came from a carerra) I am still learning what brakes I like, rotors etc. I have a stock set up with Motul fluid, quantum brake cooling ducts, stainless steel lines - stock caliber, stock master cylinder.

I have DBA 4000 series rotors and currently have been running EBC blues - which I like on the track so far. I am contemplating a Carbotech XP12/XP10 set up. What are your experiences with pads vs chewing up rotors / stopping power etc...

How do the carbotechs compare to Hawk and thier effect on rotor life etc...

The car is mainly track driven with minor street driving.

Thanks for your input.
Tom
Old 07-30-2010, 02:52 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you run a true race pad like an XP12, you'll crack your rotors LONG before they get "chewed up", so no worries there.

Also, I stated this several times in the past, I think brake pad choice (beside driver ability and intended use), should really depend on the tires you run. XP12 will be overkill for street tires. You'd be hard pressed to get them in their sweet spot on street tires. Your probably better off with XP8 for street tires (assuming that is how you run). Reserve the expensive high temp race pads to use with race rubber.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:13 PM
ssdeuce
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TGiuliante
This is me too I also drive to and from the track. I was recommended Carbotech XP10 front XP8 rear for street tires. I haven't tried them but would like to. I have ran Hawk HT-10 front DTC-30 rear since I started last year. I get 4 days on Napa rotors and pads on front and 6/8 days on the rear.
Old 07-31-2010, 05:59 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

I have XP12/10s and they may be overkill for street tires, but I have never had issues with them during a 25 min session. I tried some of the PFC 99s when they were on sale, and they were OK, but as I got faster, they got to where they would not last past 15 min and they would be fading fast. Plus the XPs clean up so easily. The PFCs, another story. You have to get that brake dust off the wheels quickly or it will not come off, especially if you are driving in the rain. I have about 1-2 more track days on my XP12/10s and then I am going to do the XP10/8s until I get fast enough for track tires.
Old 07-31-2010, 06:34 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

My experience, strictly on the track:

Hawk DTC70's will pop your eyes out, but will eat rotors for bfast, lunch and dinner.
EBC's are junk.
Carbotechs are just right.

YMMV.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:51 AM
PeOR
Instructor

Default Consumption

I use the Quantum cooling kit added at the same time is got the PFC01 pads below. My statistics so far

For one set of DBA4000 rotors I used:
- Hawk Plus 2 track days (bad choice, boiled my brakes and impacted the rotors)
- PFC01 2 track days
- DTC70/60 2.5 track days

After that I had a crack going through the rotor but still no vibration. I am saving those rotors as rescue rotors that I can drive home on, if I crack a new one.

PeO.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:57 AM
avizandum
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ran XP8/XP6 for serious autox and occassional HPDE in my DD for two seasons - great combo for this. They would fade on the track, though, even with street tires. I'm now running 10/8 with R's and think it's a great combo and the street manners are the same. I think this would be better if the track is your first priority and you're on Z06 street tires.

I've seen what Hawks do to rotors on friends' cars and the Carbotech pads are much easier on them. Plus the dust cleans up real easy and it's totally non-corrosive FWIW.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:53 PM
hamdog
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've run the DTC70s with the DB4000 and XP 10 and 12. Comparable performance but the DT70s last longer and are less expensive. The only issue with the DTC70s is that they are extremely loud on the street. Intended for track use only!

Last edited by hamdog; 08-01-2010 at 09:55 PM.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:41 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

I know this is a very discretionable topic however i would like your opinions / experiences. As I am new to a Z (came from a carerra) I am still learning what brakes I like, rotors etc. I have a stock set up with Motul fluid, quantum brake cooling ducts, stainless steel lines - stock caliber, stock master cylinder.

I have DBA 4000 series rotors and currently have been running EBC blues - which I like on the track so far. I am contemplating a Carbotech XP12/XP10 set up. What are your experiences with pads vs chewing up rotors / stopping power etc...

How do the carbotechs compare to Hawk and thier effect on rotor life etc...

Thanks for your input.
Tom
Tom, what tires will be using on the track?
Old 08-02-2010, 09:49 AM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Jason
My experience, strictly on the track:

Hawk DTC70's will pop your eyes out, but will eat rotors for bfast, lunch and dinner.
EBC's are junk.
Carbotechs are just right.

YMMV.

I used Hawk blues on the rustang and they would stop on a dime and give you 9 cents change. I hated the EBC's on the 92, still have 1/2 pad left on a set of yellows.

Carbotech, stop real well. Minimal fade on long sessions and no air to them. I can get a whole season out of a set of rotors. IIRC Jason was averaging 1.5 days with the hawks
Old 08-02-2010, 12:02 PM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
St Jude Donor '13

In case the experience of a relative-n00b is of any use....

I am currently still running F1 supercars, factory calipers and rotors on my 08Z06 with Carbotech one piece XP8's front & rear. My fiance and I shared the car at the NCM VIR event (she was in green, I was in yellow) and for two days with ambients at or near 100F neither of us experienced any fade and they stop the car significantly better than factory pads. Plus the wear is incredible. Even after that plus another day I did at NJMP Lightning the pads have a ton of life left, probably more than half original and the rotors are still in great shape.

I'm a believer.
Old 08-02-2010, 12:05 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by TheKomoman
In case the experience of a relative-n00b is of any use....

I am currently still running F1 supercars, factory calipers and rotors on my 08Z06 with Carbotech one piece XP8's front & rear. My fiance and I shared the car at the NCM VIR event (she was in green, I was in yellow) and for two days with ambients at or near 100F neither of us experienced any fade and they stop the car significantly better than factory pads. Plus the wear is incredible. Even after that plus another day I did at NJMP Lightning the pads have a ton of life left, probably more than half original and the rotors are still in great shape.

I'm a believer.
Old 08-02-2010, 01:02 PM
TGiuliante
Racer

Adam - I am currently running toyo 888's. I may order Xp12/10. How is the dust issue - i do not mind the dust as long as they do not damage the rim
Old 08-02-2010, 01:27 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Adam - I am currently running toyo 888's. I may order Xp12/10. How is the dust issue - i do not mind the dust as long as they do not damage the rim
Tom, our pad material is a 100% non crossive wont harm your wheels or paint. The dust will wash off with water and soap no problem. You can callme to place an order or with questions at 216-780-8825.

Carbotech Performance Brakes™ began 17 years ago. In the beginning we thought like everybody else and made brake compounds out of carbon & iron. The problem with carbon & iron is that when it heats up it forms carbide. Carbide is used in cutting tools, so imagine what that does to your rotors. Along with the fact that those compounds tear up rotors, they also produce very corrosive brake dust. While our competition stills uses carbon & iron as the main ingredients in their compounds, Carbotech started an entire new philosophy eight years ago.

Carbotech Performance Brakes™, the world leader in Ceramic friction materials™. It was over eight years ago that Carbotech started building brake pads out of Ceramic, Kevlar, and Carbon for street, autocross and racing applications. Carbotech is the only brake pad manufacturer in the world with a complete line of Ceramic compounds for street, autocross, and track use. Carbotech-Ceramic™ compounds are known for their unsurpassed release & modulation, while maintaining very consistent torque control characteristics. Carbotech brake pads are extremely rotor friendly and contain 100% non-corrosive brake dust, that’s something that has been unmatched by any other brake pad in the industry.

Our competitor’s brake pads perform like an “on/off” switch. Brake pads that perform like an "on/off" switch are upsetting the balance of the car by violently throwing all that weight forward (not to mention that you don't get any modulation with an "on/off" type of brake pad). You don't realize how much it upsets your car until you have tried Carbotech Performance Brake pads. Carbotech has almost a seven year head start on the competition when it comes to our great philosophy on release & modulation, rotor friendliness, non-corrosive dust, and an unmatched consistent bite.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:06 PM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
St Jude Donor '13

Again my experience with the XP8's... they dust like crazy and they WILL squeal at low speed but with above-referenced track days on them the wheels cleaned up with nothing more than water and a rag.

Get notified of new replies

To Track pad question

Quick Reply: Track pad question