Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alignment Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 06:15 PM
C5Lion
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Alignment Question

I routinely go back and forth between a track and street alignment by removing shims on the upper A arms and then adjusting the toe.

This last time after changing back to a street setup, I noticed my steering wheel was off center a little bit. It is pointing to the right a little bit. The car tracks pretty straight as I ride down the road, maybe pulls a little right, but not much. If I straighten the wheel, the car obviously steers to the left. I normally try to reset my toe to 1/16 out. How do I get the wheel straight and have the car track straight?
Old 07-31-2010, 06:36 PM
Jason
Team Owner

CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Me, I'd take it to an alignment shop for a sanity check. $80 beats buying new front tires.
Old 07-31-2010, 09:05 PM
dbratten
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by C5Lion
I routinely go back and forth between a track and street alignment by removing shims on the upper A arms and then adjusting the toe.

This last time after changing back to a street setup, I noticed my steering wheel was off center a little bit. It is pointing to the right a little bit. The car tracks pretty straight as I ride down the road, maybe pulls a little right, but not much. If I straighten the wheel, the car obviously steers to the left. I normally try to reset my toe to 1/16 out. How do I get the wheel straight and have the car track straight?
If your toe is set where you want it (I usually have it set to zero for street use) all you need to do to correct the steering wheel is move the tie rods in opposite directions (// or || or \\) -- rather than both in or both out (/\ or \/) to match the steering wheel.

I always have to think about moving the steering wheel position and may not get this right but I think you will want to slightly toe-in the left side and toe-out the right side. This will move the tires toward the right to match the current steering wheel position. It should only be a portion of a flat on the rod that you'll move it.

Having the steering wheel off center will not affect tire wear.
Old 07-31-2010, 09:49 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

steer the fronts TOWARD the direction the steering is off, or the rears AWAY from the direction the steering wheel is off.

It just happens. In my case, my street tires track completely straight, when I put track wheels on the steering wheel is off a little. Just happens....cars are machines, and things move, and there is always inaccuracy in adjustments no matter how careful you try and be.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:35 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Do you have a laser and a level you can use to set your thrust?
Straighten your steering wheel by shining the laser from the front tires to the back. See David's web page for detailed instructions.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:15 AM
avizandum
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by C5Lion
It is pointing to the right a little bit. How do I get the wheel straight and have the car track straight?
Toe in the driver's side, toe out the passenger side the EXACT same amount and you'll bring the wheel back towards center.

As another poster commented, having the wheel off center won't effect anything other than your brain if it bothers you...
Old 08-01-2010, 01:02 PM
C5Lion
Burning Brakes

thanks guys for the info.

Get notified of new replies

To Alignment Question

Quick Reply: Alignment Question