Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does synthetic oil run cooler?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 02:54 AM
dfinke23
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Does synthetic oil run cooler?

Talked to some friends last week that said their oil temps dropped after switching to synthetic, has anyone else experienced this?
I am running 20W50 mineral oil (non-synthetic) in a Darton sleeved 468 CI LS7, and am looking to lower temps on the track. A custom oil cooler and vented hood are on the list.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:13 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dfinke23
Talked to some friends last week that said their oil temps dropped after switching to synthetic, has anyone else experienced this?
I am running 20W50 mineral oil (non-synthetic) in a Darton sleeved 468 CI LS7, and am looking to lower temps on the track. A custom oil cooler and vented hood are on the list.
the oil does not run cooler - all of its polymers are exactly the same length so friction may be reduced a very small fraction - and sludge/vapor comparted to dino oil is reduced significantly. It can take higher temps.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:42 AM
Zenak
Terminal Vette Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

Depends. Synthetic breaks down slower. So yes this can be true. If you run the same oil event after event without changing, as the oil gets older it will run hotter with the viscosity break down and carbon build up. Syntethic will do this slower. Fresh oil change first event, close to the same. No change for 3 events, the synthetic will be a bit cooler. My advice is you change your oil atleast after every 10 track hours. Some I know do it sooner as cheap insurance for engine wear.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:22 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,394 Likes on 747 Posts

I doubt if there's any measureable difference. Full synthetics will handle much more heat than dino oil before it breaks down.

The cooler and vented hood will do much more to lower temps.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 08-02-2010, 11:36 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

When some of the OEM's went to synthetic they dropped oil coolers on some of their vehicles.

If you see a test of oils on the point at which the oil starts to coke-out you have to remember that the real damage occurs in the parts of the engine that are significantly higher than the temp of the oil.

Therefore, I run synthetics and have additional coolers. That is simply the best one can do.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:57 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

I never noticed a difference when I went from break in dino oil to synthentics. Both ran 290*+ until I put cooler on.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:42 AM
NIGHTSTALKER
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wondered the same thing Dan. I've been fighting higher oil temps since my motor was build.....Don't get me wrong, I'm only talking about a 225 degree cruise average on 85+ degree days, and 230-240 degree temps after WOT bursts, but I was hoping that swapping to synthetic would help a little because my last motor wouldn't go above 225 after multiple WOT pulls, track use, etc....... Not the case ...... I was using Castrol 5w30 for the first 600 miles (3 oil Changes). After that I swapped to Mobil 1. The temps stayed the same under the same conditions.
Old 09-26-2010, 12:57 PM
l8_apexer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I switched to Redline race oil, pure synthetic, straight 40 weight-- my temps dropped about 20 degrees compared to "street" Mobil 1. I ran a lapping day all day friday at Mid Ohio under severe conditions (ambient temps were 92-94 degrees) and never saw an oil temp over 275 degrees-- with some sessions 30-40 minutes long.

Previously, my temps would hover in the mid 280's, and towards the end of a 25 minute session would cross into the 300 territory, with ambient temps in the mid 70's.

Redline is expensive, but I appreciate the piece of mind on the motor.

Car is an 08 C6 Z51 package, with LG coilovers.

I then change the oil after the event back to street Mobil 1 for street use.

Learned a long time ago (the hard way) while racing Porsches that the true race oils are better for track use.
Old 09-26-2010, 03:09 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Put an oil cooler and keep your oil temps down below 260, move like 240.

The oil can take the heat, but the bearings may not.

Get notified of new replies

To Does synthetic oil run cooler?

Quick Reply: Does synthetic oil run cooler?