Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many of you guys have done a Spring Mountain course?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 10:22 PM
0Superman09
Former Vendor

Received 61 Likes on 53 Posts

Default How many of you guys have done a Spring Mountain course?

Well I am getting very big in the road racing stuff now after experiencing HPDE's. I would LOVE to improve my skills in all areas and get more seat time. Being in Michigan, my winters are very uneventful for my Corvette passion so I was thinking about maybe doing a course at Spring Mountain over Winter break. Now for those of you that have done them, what are your thoughts? I see they offer level 1 3-day courses and level 2 2-day courses. For those of you that have done the level 1, did you feel like you already knew a great deal of what was taught from previous HPDE experiences or did you really have the ability and track time/coaching to improve your skills and learn a bunch of new stuff? Did you wish maybe you did the level 2? I am just trying to figure out how the schools are, if one would be worthwhile, and if so which one I should hop in to! Thanks!

-Jon
Old 08-02-2010, 11:05 PM
bluemagoo
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've done both Level 1 and 2. Unless you're very proficient with heel-toe and have a lot of road course experience already, I'd recommend starting with the Level 1 course. You'll get plenty of track time and you will learn a thing or two! It's lots of fun and well worth it now that you're hooked.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:21 PM
Bristol
Racer

I was lucky to have done level One, Level two, and I got my SCCA qualification at Spring Mountain. It is the best and Rick M is better then the best.

There is no speed equipment or modification that will give you more absolute speed on the course then a three day session at Spring Mountain.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:44 AM
Cloaked323
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've done level 1, I skipped level 2 I did their Radical school instead. The only thing I didn't like about level 1 is after the classes I turned in my chip to have a dvd made of my sessions, the company that makes the DVDs didn't receive my chip or couldn't find it, dunno how that happened. I would highly recommend anyone who wants to learn a lot about their Corvette and HPDE, SM is the place to go. The staff and food top notch. I'm hoping to have enough play money to go next year, The heel toe I just don't have it yet. enjoy the yourself
Old 08-03-2010, 10:02 AM
0Superman09
Former Vendor

Received 61 Likes on 53 Posts

great answers! Keep em' coming, thanks!
Old 08-03-2010, 11:32 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

I went to the school when it was owned by Bragg-Smith over 12 years ago. One of the best things I learned from that 3 day school was heel-toe shifting. I was so bored with the drills I could have screamed, but can say now how thankful I am they made us do them.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:18 PM
johninar
Drifting

I did level one when it was Bragg-Smith (Rupert Bragg-Smith was my ride along on day 3 That showed me that I didn't know squat about being smooth). The class is really geared to improve your abilities step by step, building on what you learn before. Great class. And the instructors are top notch. The skid car was fun, and as was mentioned above the heel and toe practice really helps.

I did level 2 a couple of years ago and it was a good class. Lots of seat time.
I highly recommend both courses!
Old 08-03-2010, 11:40 PM
bluemagoo
Pro

Yeah, I also did Level 1 when it was still Bragg-Smith. Besides the original 2.2 mile course and skid pad, there wasn't much else there other than a few Quonset hut-type buildings and some porta-potties. In the past few years John Morris and company have really transformed Spring Mountain into a first-class facility. Through it all however, the quality of instruction has remained top notch IMO. One of these days, I want to get back there and do Level 2 again...
Old 08-04-2010, 10:46 AM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
St Jude Donor '13

My brother & I did the Level 1 in October of 2008 and it was FANTASTIC. A school like this will teach you FAR more than you can ever learn at an HDPE or on your own. Just taking all that time to concentrate on heel-toe is worth a ton. It's great stuff.

I did a rather... wordy set of write-ups after our experience, which includes a lot of travelogue-style info as well as details about the days themselves. A spoiler tag might be needed for some of it... but in case you're interested click here and it will show you the 3 posts from my blog.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:21 PM
steponc
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Default Spring Mountain

I went to both Level 1 & 2. As all of the previous members stated, you will learn plenty.
Another important thing is not to learn the wrong way to drive. It will take two or three times the effort to correct a problem that you acquire thinkng you are doing it correctly.
They will also teach you the "why" of what you are doing (right or wrong)
My Level 1 was done under Bragg-Smith also and then I went back for my Level 2 two years ago. The new owners have pumped a lot of money into Spring Mountain, kept the important people, Dave Petrie and Hector (Victor) and added many very qualified people to the staff.

Last edited by steponc; 08-05-2010 at 06:23 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-05-2010, 11:49 PM
CP Thunder
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My driver went to Spring Mountain and loved it. The skid pad loops and figure 8s will teach you how to drive the car looking out either window.......<grin>.......you know......just in case.........
Old 08-06-2010, 01:16 AM
Joy of 6
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The new owners have pumped a lot of money into Spring Mountain, kept the important people, Dave Petrie and Hector (Victor) and added many very qualified people to the staff.[/QUOTE]

These guys are great. Good teachers and their philosophy is to go to the extreme that you are comfortable with. so beat on them, over brake, over steer, they encourage you to find the limits

Do it!!!
Old 08-06-2010, 02:59 PM
Quick 06
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Great experience at any age. Took level 1 and 2 after 45 years of thinking I knew how to handle a car. It taught me that I had tons to learn. I've spent the last several years trying to fill in the holes by listening to those more experienced that me at the track. It just amazes me how I learn so many new things every single time I participate in a track event.

Get notified of new replies

To How many of you guys have done a Spring Mountain course?

Quick Reply: How many of you guys have done a Spring Mountain course?