Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In car video from this weekend at Grattan Raceway

Old 08-08-2010, 10:29 PM
0Superman09
Former Vendor

Received 61 Likes on 53 Posts

Default In car video from this weekend at Grattan Raceway

Well I am VERY new to the road racing stuff but am HOOKED! Anyways, after doing an event with Tim (tstar) at BeaveRun I got hooked so I am now also with a local group (3ballsracing) and went with them this weekend to Grattan in West Michigan! Anyways, I had a blast and ran the car both days! All of the things I noticed the car struggled with at BeaveRun I changed out and I definitely noticed a HUGE improvement. I also am very new so all the seat time I can get is the best possible thing for me. I am learning, learning, and more learning ever session I go out with instructors, ride alongs, watching others lines, etc. Anyways I finally got to ***** to ditch at least some of the assists and ran in COMP mode which I liked much better, allowed a little more yaw and feel with the car versus the instant bog of full assists. So all in all I had a blast and am looking forward to going again ASAP for more track time! I boiled brake fluid AND power steering fluid at beaverun so on the agenda that I changed for this event was....

-fresh brakes- new DBA 4000 rotors, hawk dtc 70/60 pads (will swap out for track events only with the rotors), stainless lines, motul 600 fluid, speed bleeders. These things never really faded on me at all and bit HARD! I was able to go what I thought was decently deep!
-power steering cooler from a Z06 (ZERO issues with that all weekend now!)
wheels/tires- I couldn't stand to beat up my nice street wheels and the expensive street rubber so I picked up some 18/18 black C6Z's and toyo R888's for track use only and they seemed to work really well compared to the 19/20 heavy combo, which could have added to my braking woes too!
-Harnesses. BIG help keeping me in the car so I can have full control of the wheel!

Here is a video! Don't rag on me too hard, I know I have a LONGGGG ways to go and need to get more smooth but it's a progress each and every time out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxr_6TB_NFw

-Jon
Old 08-08-2010, 10:51 PM
96solo
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good job for a beginner!

No shuttling of the hands, very good! A beginners trait, but I would recommend holding them in the 3/ 9 position. The speed will come with seat time, Try using all the track and make your initial turn in a little later. That's my 2 cents worth.

D.J. Covert

Realty Executives Z06 # 96 TTS

Last edited by 96solo; 08-09-2010 at 11:53 AM.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:37 AM
tstar
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Nice vid Jon! Tape those damn straps down!

I'm glad the brakes worked and I'm not sure Comp. mode is ideal, I have problems with AH kicking in around turns...

Looking forward to getting back out there with you again... You can follow my line to go deeper and hit a later turn in!
Old 08-09-2010, 06:39 AM
ZeroToSixty
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Looked like a lot of fun,........I am relatively new to the sport also and it is very addictive (Summit Point this last weekend with the Northern VA Corvette Club. I sometime want to drive a little sideways, off line in a "fast mode" with tires squealing (big fun)...........but it is true that the quickest way around a track is smoothness with as few inputs as possible........on line, with limited loss of traction. You looked good out there.........watch the thumbs on on the inside of the wheel.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:39 AM
0Superman09
Former Vendor

Thanks guys, I appreciate the input, keep it coming and I will use it to work on next time out!!!!
Old 08-09-2010, 12:39 PM
MySR71
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Glad to hear you had a good time. Grattan is a lot of fun. I haven't seen your video (blocked at work). Here's a guide which might be of interest:

http://www.audiclubmi.org/tours/grattan/index.htm
Old 08-09-2010, 09:22 PM
ZBADESTZ@Straightline
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice job
Old 08-09-2010, 09:40 PM
0Superman09
Former Vendor

Thats pretty cool MySR71! Thanks! And yes, the track was definitely a blast, it has a ton to it!!!!

Thanks ZBADESTZ!
Old 08-10-2010, 09:33 AM
0Superman09
Former Vendor

Old 08-10-2010, 10:38 AM
tstar
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Jon it's cruel feeding a pony exhaust fumes, I trust that you distanced yourself from him rather quickly... To appease the animal rights activist.

BTW Very nice shot!

Tim
Old 08-10-2010, 10:44 AM
0Superman09
Former Vendor

hahaha, thanks Tim!
Old 08-10-2010, 11:47 AM
clubracer6
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Grattan rocks! I miss running there..

Nice job - especially passing some of the slower traffic - very respectful of others space for an event like this.

On a side note - you HPDE/time trial/track time folks can get injured just as easily in your street cars as you can in a race car.... Invest in a HANS or similar device... Creeps me out seeing you run out there w/o one. Just my $.02
Old 08-10-2010, 12:46 PM
KILR-RYD
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It really was a fun event. If I am not mistaken, wasnt it you who came up to say hi. I am the guy in the Red GT-R.

I loved this track, just wished it was a lot closer and no where near south haven where all chicago summer vacationers seem to take a weekend trip to. The traffic was just horrible, took me a long time to get back home.

But I think I am going to go back again in sep with PCA. I liked the organization that ran the event, very flexible and understanding.

But you are quick with your video, I still have to edit my video from my april events :p I am no one to comment since this was my first trip to the track too so i am still learning the lines. Hope to see you around.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:08 PM
0Superman09
Former Vendor

Yep, I came up and talked to you when you were in the red GT-R about to go out on a run I think Nice meeting you! Keep me posted and shoot me a PM or something when you know of more events as I would love to get some more seat time!

-Jon

Originally Posted by KILR-RYD
It really was a fun event. If I am not mistaken, wasnt it you who came up to say hi. I am the guy in the Red GT-R.

I loved this track, just wished it was a lot closer and no where near south haven where all chicago summer vacationers seem to take a weekend trip to. The traffic was just horrible, took me a long time to get back home.

But I think I am going to go back again in sep with PCA. I liked the organization that ran the event, very flexible and understanding.

But you are quick with your video, I still have to edit my video from my april events :p I am no one to comment since this was my first trip to the track too so i am still learning the lines. Hope to see you around.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:57 PM
KILR-RYD
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Superman09
Yep, I came up and talked to you when you were in the red GT-R about to go out on a run I think Nice meeting you! Keep me posted and shoot me a PM or something when you know of more events as I would love to get some more seat time!

-Jon
Absolutely. Technically this is my first year as well, I did putnam park 2 yrs ago in my vette which got me hooked on real bad as well, then I wanted to modify the heck out of my car to make it track ready but then I decided to get the GTR for its overall practicality and unbelievable ability on the track.

Started doing my first events this year in April, ran with Audi, MFBA, Hooked on Driving, BMW, 1010ths, AMS, 3Balls until now and will be going for Oktoberfest to Road America in next 2 weeks immediately followed by Chin @ Autobahn. Will also like to hit the PCA event at grattan in sep if wife allows :p and then back to RA with MFBA and may be one more event somewhere in between.

Which tracks are suitable for you to travel to? I found the list on this very forum, I believe its a sticky. Its been my reference all through out.

Let me know if you would like to hit something in the area.

Cheers
Old 08-12-2010, 02:48 PM
0Superman09
Former Vendor

Absolutely, I would love to do some of the longer tracks where my car would work better. Not real excited about waterford, gingerman, etc from what I hear but would really like to try mid-ohio, putnam park, road america, and maybe even VIR. What are some other cool, more lax groups you like to run with? I am on the east side of Michigan, 1 hour north of Detroit.
Old 08-12-2010, 03:24 PM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Nice vid Jon. Was this after I rode along with you?
Old 08-12-2010, 03:34 PM
0Superman09
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Scooter70
Nice vid Jon. Was this after I rode along with you?
Yeah, this was my very last session I think. You can see on the front straight where I am hitting reset for my damn low oil level light that was acting up. Had me scared which is why I pitted early with you.... but I checked the oil 8 billion times and added some more and was assured it was fine although the light still kept coming on, haha. So I ran it and just reset the light on the straight when it came back on to annoy me. BIG thanks for the ride and ride along, helped me big time and I appreciate it!

Get notified of new replies

To In car video from this weekend at Grattan Raceway

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: In car video from this weekend at Grattan Raceway