Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what to expect on first HPDE

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 08:46 PM
blakngold4life
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default what to expect on first HPDE

My dad and I are both taking our cars to to FATT at summit point next week, both of us are new to this and don't really know what to expect. We have just done brakes and tune ups on both cars and they are running great, both cars are drivers not show or race cars. Has anyone else gone to one of these and have any insight on what we can expect or things to do to make the most of the experience? Also, we are wondering if it would be best to trailer one of the cars on a dolly for cheap insurance, the drive is about two hours from our house, what do you guys do for these?
Old 08-09-2010, 09:01 PM
68sixspeed
Melting Slicks

Received 154 Likes on 114 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I wouldn't worry about trailering, especially if you have AAA or a friend that can come rescue you.

First do your prep, safety check (all rubber hoses, lines should be inspected, make sure the radiator isn't full of leaves, clean/fresh oil, etc), torque suspension bolts, lug nuts, flush the brake fluid with something good like Motul, ATE, or Castrol SRF. I don't know the track to comment on brake pads.

Then remember first thing all new guys get hit by a paddle board from the instructors and wedgies from the advanced and intermediate drivers.

But seriously, these events are a lot of fun, mostly low-key, no pressure, we are all there to learn. Keep your eyes up and your ears open. Different instructors have different approaches and I've picked up something new from almost every one over the years.

There is a good long sticky thread at the top with things to check etc too. Have fun! It's a bad addiction...

-Dan
Old 08-09-2010, 09:02 PM
0Superman09
Former Vendor

Received 61 Likes on 53 Posts

What to expect:
1.) The most fun you'll have ever had in your cars!
2.) An addiction to it
3.) A decrease in the amount of your bank account
4.) To be passed by slower cars (miatas, MR2s, even cougars)

With my driver vette at my first HPDE I found my brakes and power steering to really be the only things stressed. A street pad is going to fade out quick on you. I ran Hawk HPS' and they faded out after a couple laps in each session and I ended up boiling the fluid and pedal got VERY mushy and eventually to the floor in the paddocks. I also found my power steering fluid had boiled up and over.

I would suggest maybe after you enjoy this first session and see how your car reacts:
1.) set of track race pads and rotors
2.) power steering cooler (one from z06/z51 cars is great if you don't have one already)
3.) stainless brake lines (doesn't expand like the stock rubber lines)
4.) Harness bar and a 5 or 6 point harness to help keep you planted (you will be all over the damn car!)

Hope this helps! It is what I experienced in your shoes so maybe it's a couple small issues you can iron out before hand or at least know what to expect! Those few mods will help you out and allow you to run longer, harder, and safer.

Seat time is your best mod, once you gain the confidence and know the car, you will pick up a lot of time turning all the traction nannies off.

If your brakes start to fade and you notice the pedal starts going down a little farther each time, you are boiling the fluid and need to pit before it goes all the way to the floor on you!

-Jon
Old 08-09-2010, 09:41 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

Its been my experience that a fair number of novices end up driving slower on the track than on the road they used getting to the track. As an instructor I first work on having them recognize things like flag stations, the proper line on the track, braking points and passing zones. Usually you are so busy learning things in the car the first session goes by so fast it is hard to realize its over. The second session is usually spent working on driving and learning the line. Depending on the student I work with them to get their speed up to where they can say they were actually going fast.

Make sure your the cooling system on your cars is up to par. Get out all of the dirt from in front of the AC condenser/radiator and check the hoses and coolant levels. Make sure there are no leaks. I have lost lots of track time because some people don't check the cooling system and they pop something out on the track causing a lot of clean up, etc. It is also very exciting to slide around in somebody else's coolant.

Bill
Old 08-09-2010, 09:42 PM
DCW1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First HPDE

Even though you say you've just had the brakes checked, I'd invest in some DoT4 brake fluid. Have the existing fluid bled out and replaced with Motul or another high temp fluid.

I say this because it's obviously summertime, and the track temps could get very high. My first track event was a year ago at Thunderhill (north of Sacramento), with air temps on the low 90's and much higher on the track itself. I got some fade at the end of a couple of sessions, and it wasn't fun.

The other thing I'd do is use the search function on this forum or go on YouTube and spend time watching onboard videos of the track. You'll have a much better (and more productive) time if you get there knowing the general configuration. It's obviously not a substitute for being out there, but you'd be amazed at how many people use the first session or two just trying to find their way around, rather than starting to work on their driving technique and lines.

But most importantly, go in with your ego in your pocket and the attitude that you're there to have fun. Listen to your coaches and focus on driving smoothly -- don't worry about speed. You'll learn more about your car than you ever knew, and drive it at a level you've probably never done before.

First time can be nervous, but everyone understands that and people are almost always friendly and supportive. Have a great time.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:20 PM
bobmoore2
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The definitive guide for first-timers...

Follow the links near the top of this web site. Lots of info for novices and first-timers, written by experts.

http://68.185.70.117/Trackdays/links.html

Get notified of new replies

To what to expect on first HPDE

Quick Reply: what to expect on first HPDE