Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C4 Track Car Newbie

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 11:41 PM
smallblock87
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default C4 Track Car Newbie

Hi Everyone, hopefully I'm posting in the right section now...:o. I've adored corvettes all my life and I finally just bought my first Corvette, an '86 coupe. I plan on turning it into a track car for road racing. I was hoping someone might have some advice as to where to start. Are there any essentials that I should know about? I realize this is a pretty expensive hobby but I'm trying not too spend too much money. I figured I could do my first couple events with the car relatively stock. I'll be getting some nice General Exclaim UHP tires and Carbonetic pads. Afterward I'm thinking polyurethane suspension bushings, kill some weight (AIR system, carpet, etc.), exhaust, and intake. Also, the car didn't come with the Z51 package. I'm doing this for fun and more importantly to learn A LOT so does anyone have any good advice? Thanks!
Old 08-13-2010, 12:12 AM
1lapRacer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by smallblock87
Hi Everyone, hopefully I'm posting in the right section now...:o. I've adored corvettes all my life and I finally just bought my first Corvette, an '86 coupe. I plan on turning it into a track car for road racing. I was hoping someone might have some advice as to where to start. Are there any essentials that I should know about? I realize this is a pretty expensive hobby but I'm trying not too spend too much money. I figured I could do my first couple events with the car relatively stock. I'll be getting some nice General Exclaim UHP tires and Carbonetic pads. Afterward I'm thinking polyurethane suspension bushings, kill some weight (AIR system, carpet, etc.), exhaust, and intake. Also, the car didn't come with the Z51 package. I'm doing this for fun and more importantly to learn A LOT so does anyone have any good advice? Thanks!
Braking work should include fresh track pads along with an upgrade to good fluid. Lots of threads about the best fluid have graced this forum but synthetic and Dot4 are a good starting point. I have broken several rotors on my 91 during track days so check them and replace if necessary

Power steering can be a problem, good fluid is essential. If you still have an issue upgrade to a better pump.

Safety equipment comes before performance in my opinion.

If the bushings and shocks have not been replaced an upgrade to poly bushings will make it feel more solid.

C4's are fun and reasonably priced to play with on track!
Old 08-13-2010, 12:52 AM
smallblock87
Advanced

Awesome advice, exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks.
Old 08-13-2010, 06:54 AM
eogel
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 1lapRacer
Safety equipment comes before performance in my opinion.
1lapracer provides excellent information. This includes your personal safety equipment as well as making the car safe. Also, keep tight the wheel bearings.

Ed
Old 08-13-2010, 01:18 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

When is your first / next event?
Where is it?
Right now with NASA SE there are only a few of us with C4's.

Is this going to be a dedicated track car or a weekend toy?
Are you going to do 10+ events a year or 1-3?

I do 10+ events a year and this winter the modifications will be a proper seat and harnesses, a head and neck restraint, and if I have any money left over rebuild the spare motor.

My 92 is built to NCCC group II specs also fits NASA TTB specs.
Yes I've rebuilt the suspension, replaced hubs, opti, radiator, etc.
After the fiasco with the last set of rear hubs I keep a spare set on the shelf.
I gots lots of wheels and tires as well.

Run away now before you get in too deep
Old 08-13-2010, 01:24 PM
The Panther
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Lots of good info here.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...-now-what.html
Old 08-13-2010, 01:32 PM
Rob31
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Street pads /fluid will last bout three sessions on a decent road course before the pedal goes to the floor .
You might get two turns warning , then , well, if your lucky you just throw alot of sand in the air .
All the moving parts in the suspension if original are done , might as well change them now .
Valve cover gaskets ... I blew out the gasket on the distributor on mine at Gingerman . ( small leak)

Last edited by Rob31; 08-13-2010 at 01:57 PM.
Old 08-13-2010, 01:45 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 371 Likes on 307 Posts

Click my name and then the link for threads I've started. I've made some threads as I finished projects on my track car. Drop as much weight as you can, and sell the parts. Under drive pulleys helped my stock non-cooled power steering system live a long life. Definitely get track pads.

Rob, might want to do a compression test.
Old 08-13-2010, 01:55 PM
Rob31
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Its fine .. Gasket just let go because of age 160 k on it , could use some valve seals .
New motor/trans this winter
Old 08-13-2010, 02:29 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Sounds good! Mine started having more and more blow by, ended up with 70 PSI on #7. It had cracked rings.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:03 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Aardwolf
Sounds good! Mine started having more and more blow by, ended up with 70 PSI on #7. It had cracked rings.
Thats why there is a camaro LT-1 short block in the shed. I'm going to at least get it stripped down and cleaned up this winter. I know the original 115k bottom end will have problems sooner rather than later.
5k RPM for 80% of a 15 min session, 5 sessions a day can't be good for longevity. Plus I want more power - 383 time, I'm gunning for the spec c5z guys next year
Old 08-13-2010, 08:58 PM
0Paul Ruggeri
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Brake cooling ducts are a must on a C4. Real track tires like Hoosier A6 or R6 or Kumho 710s will make a big difference too. Have fun
Old 08-13-2010, 09:18 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Paul Ruggeri
Brake cooling ducts are a must on a C4. Real track tires like Hoosier A6 or R6 or Kumho 710s will make a big difference too. Have fun
Cooling ducts - yes, can be in the "after the first few HPDE's" category
Not having cooling ducts improves the remembering of "Brake Hard, short time, stay off them if you don't need them" lessons.

Track tires - NOT until you can make your street tires sing the entire session, each and every session.

Just my $0.02 and what I tell all my students
Old 08-13-2010, 10:40 PM
smallblock87
Advanced

Awesome stuff guys, thanks for all the suggestions.

@jaa1992 - my first event will be w/ NASA-SE at CMP in November. See you there? This will be my dedicated track car but I want it to be street legal enough to drive to the track. I plan on doing as many events as I can afford and attend! So I'm shooting for 3-5 maybe?

I was looking into those cooling ducts for my wish list. I wasn't sure how much they would help but i guess that answers my question.

Any suggestions on power steering fluid?

Last edited by smallblock87; 08-14-2010 at 10:44 AM.
Old 08-14-2010, 11:09 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Originally Posted by smallblock87
Awesome stuff guys, thanks for all the suggestions.

@jaa1992 - my first event will be w/ NASA-SE at CMP in November. See you there? This will be my dedicated track car but I want it to be street legal enough to drive to the track. I plan on doing as many events as I can afford and attend! So I'm shooting for 3-5 maybe?

I was looking into those cooling ducts for my wish list. I wasn't sure how much they would help but i guess that answers my question.

Any suggestions on power steering fluid?
Very similar to what I'm doing. I had to add Redline synthetic fluid right away to the PS system. Search my threads for making brake ducts, they are easy.
Old 08-14-2010, 02:27 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Aardwolf
Very similar to what I'm doing. I had to add Redline synthetic fluid right away to the PS system. Search my threads for making brake ducts, they are easy.

CMP is hard on brakes, I won't be there in Nov. My neice decided she was getting married that weekend. I'll be at Road Atl in Dec.
Look for the C5 mafia - Jeff, Jason, Scott, Mark, etc. They will keep you safe and tell you more stories . . . . . . .

Get notified of new replies

To C4 Track Car Newbie

Quick Reply: C4 Track Car Newbie