Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Negative camber, please to explain

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 01:37 PM
Aurora40
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Negative camber, please to explain

I figure you road race guys will know:

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/08/12/c...prove-handling

How would this work? Isn't the point of camber to adjust the tire's contact patch? In this case, the asymmetrical tire simply adjusts it back, negating all the benefits.

I feel like either I'm stupid, or auto journalists are. Am I missing something?
Old 08-13-2010, 02:10 PM
The Spark
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Seems like the inner part of the tire would have less contact when turning. But I'm definitely no expert.
Old 08-13-2010, 02:26 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It sounds to me like this tire is geared toward ricers who lower the crap out of their car and just drive on the street. They never TRULY corner hard enought to take advantage of the negative camber.

If I read this correctly the ONLY purpose of this tire is to create a flat contact patch for cars driving under normal conditions that have a lot of negative camber.

I also agree that lots of negative camber on a street car will ruin around town handling and highway driving and wear out tires prematurely.

This tire is designed for those who SHOULDN'T be running negative camber to still be able to slam their cars and not have the poor tire wear with negative camber.

Under race/track conditions, this tire will roll over on itself like any tire without camber.
Old 08-13-2010, 02:31 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 936 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by 95jersey
It sounds to me like this tire is geared toward ricers who lower the crap out of their car and just drive on the street. They never TRULY corner hard enought to take advantage of the negative camber.

If I read this correctly the ONLY purpose of this tire is to create a flat contact patch for cars driving under normal conditions that have a lot of negative camber.

I also agree that lots of negative camber on a street car will ruin around town handling and highway driving and wear out tires prematurely.

This tire is designed for those who SHOULDN'T be running negative camber to still be able to slam their cars and not have the poor tire wear with negative camber.

Under race/track conditions, this tire will roll over on itself like any tire without camber.
This tire really only looks cool to those that dont race. Regular shaped tires and chamber will corner way better than those things.
Old 08-13-2010, 02:32 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

The patent office should reply with this brief response:

"No. You are an idiot."
Old 08-13-2010, 02:46 PM
ZR1 MK
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Goodyear made cambered race slicks about 7 yrs ago for a season or two. I never tired them, but it was a 50/50 split regarding pro/con opinions for those that did.

This seems like a ridiculous idea for a street tire.
Old 08-13-2010, 03:21 PM
The Panther
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sperkins

"No. You are an idiot."
Old 08-13-2010, 08:44 PM
Cap'n Pete
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 77 Posts

I thought the idea was to put them on the opposite orientation (inside out, compared to how they're pictured) for a car WITHOUT camber, so it gives a negative camber "effect" .
Old 08-14-2010, 07:42 AM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by sperkins

"No. You are an idiot."

That will have the same effect as lots of negative camber and toe-in. That tire will wear quickly as it will be scrubbing.
Old 08-14-2010, 08:16 AM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

If you don't want to change camber when you get to the track, it has a purpose. It should give you better street tire wear than if you run regular tires on the street and it lets you have big negative camber for the track when you change to track tires.

Not stupid if you don't want to jack with camber every time you run a track day or run an autocross and you want to run 2 degrees of negative camber on your race setup.

Get notified of new replies

To Negative camber, please to explain

Quick Reply: Negative camber, please to explain