Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Solo A Stock questions

Old 08-14-2010, 12:06 AM
napacruzerc5
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Solo A Stock questions

An article in the July issue of North American Pylon (NAP) wondered why A Stock has not caught on. I haven't attended a SCCA Solo event in ages so I wouldn't really know. I can however offer similar insights as the writer. The writer wondered where there were any stock Twin Turbo RX7s still running around. I wondered if there are any stock non
Z06 C5s out there. Most C5s I see on the street have non-stock catback exhaust systems which I believe is legal in stock. I would presume however, if you have a modified exhaust you would also have a modified air intake system which would make you illegal for the class. The class also allows Porsche Boxster/Caymans, select 911s and BMW M models. It would not take much for me to return to Solo stock configuration in my C5. But it would still take a stretch of the wallet to come up with R/A race tires not to mention another set of wheels to mount them on. At this point I think "too little. too late" for the class. Think I'll stick with running Corvette only Western States Corvette Council (WSCC) autocrosses for now.
Old 08-14-2010, 09:07 AM
Barbara_S
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Statistically, I think the serious guys in SS have already bought the Z06. They won't be trading down so who's left to go into Astock?
Guys who already own C5's and don't already race probably won't flock to it.
People thinking of buying into it would be risking buying the wrong car when the class hasn't been here long enough to show what car might be a "car to have" or a car not to have. I race a C4 with SCCA and I am the kind of person who would move into AStock when the C4 dies. I'm just watching the class this year and next to see what shakes out.

Barbara '88 B Stock - SCCA NER region
Old 08-14-2010, 11:34 AM
autoxer6
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Barbara. Here are some other points:
-People who want to run a corvette already have a Z06.
-The cost difference from a base C5 and a Z06 isn't much. So why not get a Z06.
-SS has more entrants which means more local competition.
-Recent trends are towards ST cars for lower tire costs so that makes something like a S2000 in STR the best bang for the buck right now. A S2000 is lower cost, tires are cheaper, and you get lots of things to tweak in the suspension. Its hard to not like an STR car!

For me, I cant give up my Hoosiers. It would take weeks at the Betty Ford clinic for me to go back to a street tire.

Get notified of new replies

To Solo A Stock questions

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Solo A Stock questions