Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boss Mustang 302 Laguna Seca,

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 07:56 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Boss Mustang 302 Laguna Seca,

Last Updated: August 14. 2010 1:00AM
A legendary Mustang returns
The Boss 302 gets a limited run
Ford offers two versions of a powerful but street-legal car
Scott Burgess / The Detroit News

The Boss is back as a production model.

Ford Motor Co. announced Friday that it will offer a limited number of the 2012 Mustang Boss 302, playing up the powerful reputation of the legendary engine.

There will also be a track-ready version, known as the Mustang 302 Laguna Seca, which eliminates the rear seat, and adds a racing suspension and additional aerodynamic treatments.

Advertisement
Quantcast

The regular Boss will also be upgraded inside and out.

"The new Boss 302 completely redefines Mustang capability," Mark Fields, Ford president of the Americas, said in a press release Friday.

Ford did not announce pricing and availability.

The new Boss 302 engine is derived from the new 5-liter V-8 in the 2011 Mustang GT. The original 302, which arrived in 1968, got its name as a high performance version of the 302 cubic-inch displacement V-8.

When Ford brought back the 5-liter V-8 this year for the 2011 Mustang GT, it already produced 412 horsepower. Then Ford engineers rebuilt it into a high performance version, which now pushes out 440 horsepower and 380 pound-feet of torque.

Ford adds that while the easiest way to add power would have been with a supercharger, the engineers chose not to do that.

"The core group of engineers on the Boss 302 engine understands and respects the heritage of the name and the history behind the original engine," Mike Harrison, Ford V-8 engine program manager, said.

"The first Boss 302 was a specially built, free-breathing, high-revving, small V-8 that gave it certain desirable characteristics on a race course -- and we capture that essence in the new engine," he said.

Changes were made to the engine, including adding forged aluminum pistons, connecting rods, a race spec crankshaft, lighter valvetrain components and high strength aluminum-alloy cylinder heads.

All of the strengthening was needed to handle the additional power and higher revs the engine must endure.

The original Boss 302 arrived in the 1969 Mustang Boss 302 and produced 290 horsepower. There was also a Mustang Boss 429 in 1969 and 1970, which created 375 horsepower. In 1971, Ford also offered the 330-horsepower Mustang Boss 351.

Now, it's back.

sburgess@detnews.com (313) 223-3217

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...#ixzz0wa3NQUJu
Old 08-14-2010, 09:33 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

I was just looking at that vehicle again this morning before jumping over here! The general needs to step up a little more for this one.
Old 08-14-2010, 04:43 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Kid in HS had one. Rich kid when they first arrived in 68 or 69. Yellow with more engine work an a radical idle I can still hear. His rich friend had a new 428 Cobra jet back then too.

They use to get mad when I smoked them with my bike.
Old 08-14-2010, 05:11 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

Imagine that... GM behind the curve once again.

Although I think the color scheme (especially the wheels) is absolutely hideous.

Old 08-14-2010, 07:42 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Unfortunately, Ford has not has the best record on reliability in new/tweaked models in the past. Maybe give it a couple of years actually on the track.
Old 08-14-2010, 08:12 PM
racerbob4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by southern_son
I was just looking at that vehicle again this morning before jumping over here! The general needs to step up a little more for this one.
Hey, they did step up. The president had them make an all electric small car that only cost $41K with no extras. Of course, no one will buy them as the extension cords from Home Depot are all too short to recharge them when you're at work and what with the power drop with that much distance from home, it would take days to get enough power in them to get you back home. GM is now working on issuing stock so they can stick us again. Not me.
Old 08-14-2010, 08:44 PM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

real brake ducting, real front aero etc, nice to see that at least some companies still know how to make real track cars as opposed to slapping on superchargers and carbon fiber crap.
Old 08-14-2010, 10:56 PM
ukrbmw
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by longdaddy
real brake ducting, real front aero etc, nice to see that at least some companies still know how to make real track cars as opposed to slapping on superchargers and carbon fiber crap.
Yep, but is there a price for it listed? I imagine it won't be cheap.
Old 08-15-2010, 01:05 AM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ukrbmw
Yep, but is there a price for it listed? I imagine it won't be cheap.
If the Ford does the pricing right, this could be the end of Corvette being the best bang for the buck at your local track day.
Old 08-15-2010, 02:18 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You're looking @ ~3550 lb on 9.0 and 9.5" wheels with a solid rear axle and about 54% of the weight on the nose. I'd say on the same exact tire compound on both cars, it would be no quicker than a 10+ yr old Z51 C5 on lap time.
Old 08-15-2010, 12:32 PM
ukrbmw
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by longdaddy
If the Ford does the pricing right, this could be the end of Corvette being the best bang for the buck at your local track day.

Yep, but given their track record I doubt it'll be in Vette range. I'd say in the 70s at least, so now it's up against a Z06.

Didn't they already put out a racing version of this? I thought I saw them in Koni GT and doing well. I know that has nothing to do with the street car.
Old 08-15-2010, 04:07 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Nice car will be $$$ and the color shown sucks! Should have made the yellow and the stripe go over the hood like the old ones.

Get notified of new replies

To Boss Mustang 302 Laguna Seca,

Quick Reply: Boss Mustang 302 Laguna Seca,