Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accusump Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 06:08 AM
marco383
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Accusump Question

What is the recommended protocol for draining and refilling oil in an Accusump-equipped C5? I'm assuming that before draining, I should run a few miles with the Accusump valve open to warm all the oil, but then?
Old 08-18-2010, 09:23 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

I simply turn on the key and let the sump evacuate for a few minutes and then drain as usual. You DO NOT want to activate it after removing the drain plug. It will SPLATTER if you do.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:28 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 710 Likes on 491 Posts

I agree, then overfill to compensate when you restart the engine. With the electric valve, it will refill slowly even if the valve is closed, so it will fill without "stealing" oil from your engine.

Occasionally, you want to drain it and check the empty pressure also, I'd make it a habit of doing it during oil changes.
Old 08-19-2010, 12:42 PM
marco383
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks for the input. I have a manual valve; can I assume that I just turn it on, let the car idle for a minute or so, and then drain?
Old 08-19-2010, 06:24 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

with the manual valve it's a good idea to start the car with the valve closed and after the oil pressure comes up turn the valve on/off several times for a few seconds at a time. Watch the oil pressure guage. Reason is if it is on from the start the accusump will fill before any oil gets to where it needs to go.
For draining you can also simply remove the oil filter and place a bucket under it. To make sure it's completely drained you could add some pressure at the end as long as you make sure to set it back to about 7psi empty.

Get notified of new replies

To Accusump Question

Quick Reply: Accusump Question