Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me with Brake Pads - too many choices.

Old 08-19-2010, 02:14 PM
Biggus Blockus
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Help me with Brake Pads - too many choices.

96 LT4
stock Z51 suspension
315/17 on all four corners (Hoosier A6)
2003 Z06 front brakes
stock rear brakes
no engine mods
dedicated track car

The wife and I run low speed AutoX mostly with 2 to 3 high speed days per year mixed in.

Which pads to buy? I've done a search but found no real answers for my setup.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:03 PM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

My favorite combo right now for autocross is HPS for the front. HP+ for the rear. Almost nobody on this section likes HPS. I like them because they take much more pedal pressure to get them to stop or get into the ABS. Some other race pads I've tried take very little pedal pressure to get into the ABS. Although my throttle foot is very well trained in modulation my left foot or even my right foot when I was not left foot braking is not as good at modulation for braking. ABS or Ice mode was quite common. Also for autocross where you would want to scrub just a little bit of speed it's easier with poor brakes. Great stopping brakes scrubs off to much. You guys can laugh, but try to slow down 2 mph with sensitive brakes.

Steve A.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:58 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The hot setup for most high speed Corvette folks here is Hawk DTC70 front, DTC60 rear.

I have no experience with Auto-x, so I can't tell you if that combo is effective through the cones or not.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:38 PM
68sixspeed
Melting Slicks

Received 154 Likes on 114 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

DTC's require heat to work, great track pad, not really what you want for auto-x. HP+ provide a lot more initial bite than HPS. It almost sounds like you could use more than the HP+ though with your tire selection but they might be worth a try as they are not that expensive. (Something between would be the HT-10 or Blue pad in the Hawk line) I used the HP+ as a track pad with street tires on both my vettes. For slicks I'd use the DTC 70/60 combination for road course work. Of course all this is in the Hawk line and there are several other options in other brands, I'm sure others will comment.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:36 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Carbotech AX pads or xp10/8 combo. Easy on rotors and work well when cool as in an autox. Good thing with the xp10/8 combo is you can leave them on for high speed events as well.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:43 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 490 Likes on 417 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Pease tell me more about your High speed auto X, length of session how many runs?
Old 08-20-2010, 10:59 AM
Biggus Blockus
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by carbotech adam
Pease tell me more about your High speed auto X, length of session how many runs?
Hi speed - 3 days per year - one at Iowa Speedway (track) and two days at MAM (road course) One run at a time - no constant lapping. Runs last between 53 - 70 seconds. 4-6 runs per day.

Lo Speed - 10 days per year - parking lots, airports, etc.

I would like to do some HPDE days in the future so it would be nice to have a very effective and versitile setup.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:36 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

My suggestion would be to run Carbotech XP8 on all four Cornners. You will see that most people that use are pads run a higher bite in front, but in your case the stock c4 caliper is smaller than the c5 so the xp8 should work for you well. You will not have to change pads for any event you do. To place an order or questions call me at 216-780-8825.

Price before 7% forum discount

F: CT731 $187

R: CT413 $157

Carbotech XP8™ (1108™)
A high torque brake compound with a wide operating temperature range (200°F-1350°F+). Carbotech XP8™ is the first of our racing compounds. Outstanding initial bite at race temperatures, high coefficient of friction, excellent modulation and release characteristics. Extremely high fade resistance, very rotor friendly with 100% non-corrosive dust. Excellent as a front brake pad for lighter ITA, ITB, ITC, SRF, H4, H5, and other cars that weigh less than 2,400lbs. Perfect for novice, intermediate and advanced track day (HPDE) use with any tire, and can still be driven safely to and from the track. There are several vehicles that use XP8™ on the street, autocross, and at track day (HPDE) events. Carbotech does NOT recommended XP8™ as a daily driven street pad due to elevated levels of dust and noise. XP8™ is also a great rear brake pad for almost any race car (Spec Miata-T1/T2/CMC). XP8™ is a great compound on the front & rear of most open wheel and sports racers.
Old 08-20-2010, 05:49 PM
Biggus Blockus
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by carbotech adam
My suggestion would be to run Carbotech XP8 on all four Cornners. You will see that most people that use are pads run a higher bite in front, but in your case the stock c4 caliper is smaller than the c5 so the xp8 should work for you well. You will not have to change pads for any event you do. To place an order or questions call me at 216-780-8825.

Price before 7% forum discount

F: CT731 $187

R: CT413 $157

Carbotech XP8™ (1108™)
A high torque brake compound with a wide operating temperature range (200°F-1350°F+). Carbotech XP8™ is the first of our racing compounds. Outstanding initial bite at race temperatures, high coefficient of friction, excellent modulation and release characteristics. Extremely high fade resistance, very rotor friendly with 100% non-corrosive dust. Excellent as a front brake pad for lighter ITA, ITB, ITC, SRF, H4, H5, and other cars that weigh less than 2,400lbs. Perfect for novice, intermediate and advanced track day (HPDE) use with any tire, and can still be driven safely to and from the track. There are several vehicles that use XP8™ on the street, autocross, and at track day (HPDE) events. Carbotech does NOT recommended XP8™ as a daily driven street pad due to elevated levels of dust and noise. XP8™ is also a great rear brake pad for almost any race car (Spec Miata-T1/T2/CMC). XP8™ is a great compound on the front & rear of most open wheel and sports racers.
I have C5 brakes up front - does this change your recommendation any?
Old 08-21-2010, 10:35 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by Biggus Blockus
I have C5 brakes up front - does this change your recommendation any?
No, I knew that
Old 08-23-2010, 04:35 PM
Biggus Blockus
Le Mans Master

Just got off the phone with Adam - very helpful.

thanks Adam - looking forward to my new pads.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:45 PM
R Mackow
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I switched to Carbotechs XP8s when the HP+s lost 70% over a 2day/8 - 20 min. session, Pocono north course weekend.
I put the XP8s on after that.
Ran a season of AXs; did the north course weekend again = 8 sessions, plus a day at Pocono ( front straight, turn 1, back straight, turn 2, + north course infield, top speed 145, 8 sessions). XP8s were down to about 1/8".

Get notified of new replies

To Help me with Brake Pads - too many choices.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help me with Brake Pads - too many choices.