Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question/would it hurt adding a different brand to existing oil?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 09:29 PM
shifter77
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question/would it hurt adding a different brand to existing oil?

Currently running Redline 5w30 synthetic . Would it be ok to add mobil 1 5w30. Redline is now $10 a quart + TAX.
Old 08-20-2010, 01:44 AM
grantar2
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The answer is no. There are myths about mixing oil but they are just that.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:48 PM
knyght4
Drifting

Originally Posted by grantar2
The answer is no. There are myths about mixing oil but they are just that.
Are you crazy?! Missing different brand oils of like type is a .

Old 08-20-2010, 01:01 PM
bb69
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The reality is that every oil uses a different blend of additives and you don't know what chemical reactions happen when you blend those additive packages. Will is cause massive destruction? No. Will it cause any adverse affects? Probably nothing you would notice in the short term. What could happen? The additive packages could react to each other and start eroding the rubber seals and o-ring leading to a leak. I think the problems from there are obvious.

These are long term durability issues though, not things that are going to make your differential lockup. If you don't notice an oil leak, that is another problem all together.

Ken
Old 08-20-2010, 02:02 PM
shifter77
Drifting

Was worried that Redline is a polymer synthetic oil so mixing would not be good idea.
bb69, thats what i thought & thanks. Will change oil brands at next oil change to MB 1.

Last edited by shifter77; 08-20-2010 at 02:06 PM.
Old 08-20-2010, 05:52 PM
KILR-RYD
Drifting

Wow, some of us in the GT-R community Mix oils. I am currently running a Mob1 5w-40 and Motul 15w-50 in 1:2 ratio. Before that I ran Castrol and Mob1 mix. I have been people mix trans oil as well I havent done that yet, but seen people do it, esp the ones with lot of track time. I am novice so really do not know, but thats what I have seen. These mixes have been post track days tested by blackstone labs without any bad news.
Old 08-20-2010, 07:20 PM
bb69
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by KILR-RYD
Wow, some of us in the GT-R community Mix oils. I am currently running a Mob1 5w-40 and Motul 15w-50 in 1:2 ratio. Before that I ran Castrol and Mob1 mix. I have been people mix trans oil as well I havent done that yet, but seen people do it, esp the ones with lot of track time. I am novice so really do not know, but thats what I have seen. These mixes have been post track days tested by blackstone labs without any bad news.
I have never used Blackstone, but I believe they are looking for metal wear. I don't think they would see any evidence of the reactions I'm talking about. Again, this is a LONG term affect. This comes from days working for a OEM gasket/seal manufacturer so we had to be concerned about the length of a warranty period.

I noticed a lot of the GTR guys mixing oil, and to be honest, I don't know why. What is the reason behind that?

Ken
Old 08-21-2010, 01:51 AM
grantar2
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by knyght4
Are you crazy?! Missing different brand oils of like type is a .

The lead engineers at Exon Mobile, and Dutch Shell will disagree with you. I have talked with a number of them at various times for work related reasons. However since that amounts to hearsay I will go with public relase manufactures websites. (see below) True none of these outright says you can use another brand, but mixing oils is addressed.

What is important is the quality of the oil being comprable. Not our impression or hype, but rather the SAE and SPI ratings. We are talking topping off here. If on race day I am down a quart, I am ok with adding Valvoline to my Mobile 1. Am I brand specific if I have choice in my Vette, yes, she gets mobile one engine oil, Chevron fuel, Motul brake fluid and redline in the transmission. 120K of being beat and autocrossed regularly for 20 years, and I have purfect compression across all cylinders, strong running gears. Replaced my injectors as a matter of course and all the old ones were clean.

But if all I have because I need to borrow a quart is something else to top off yeah, it isn't going to hurt anything.

Now if your trying to blend an exotic combination to save a few bucks, your just kidding yourself. Oil is cheap compared to breakdown. I dump mine every 3,000 miles or 6 months. It looks as new coming out as it did going in, but I can afford $40 bucks to assure performance. The trans, radiator, rear end and brake fluid are done at the begining of the season.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...entionals.aspx

Myth: You can’t mix brands of motor oil.
Fact: Mixing brands is not the best practice because the additive systems in each may be different and when mixed may not function as efficiently as desired. However, no serious problems will occur if you must add a different brand of equivalent quality between oil changes. It is very important to maintain proper oil level.
http://www.citgo.com/ConsumerProduct...neOilMyths.jsp

4.Is it ok to switch back and forth between regular and synthetic motor oil? I heard this causes leaks? Is this true?

Switching between synthetic and conventional oil does not cause problems. Because the oils are compatible, you can switch back and forth as often as you like.

5.Can you mix different types of motor oil? For example, synthetic and synthetic blend or regular and synthetic? Is this going to cause problems?

Mixing synthetic and conventional oils will not cause any problems. The oils are compatible with each other.
http://www.valvoline.com/faqs/motor-...tic-motor-oil/
Old 08-21-2010, 06:59 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

ie always have extra few quarts of the same type with you.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:16 PM
shifter77
Drifting

I will remain with Redline untill i need a complete oil change. I must say , i feel more engine torque with Redline 5w30. Needed 2 quarts today as spare , paid $21.65 tax in.

Get notified of new replies

To Question/would it hurt adding a different brand to existing oil?

Quick Reply: Question/would it hurt adding a different brand to existing oil?