Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 c6 a6 paddle for road race track lapping?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 10:44 AM
frankgtb
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 06 c6 a6 paddle for road race track lapping?

thinking of picking up an 06 c6 a6 paddle for road race track lapping?

anyone track one of these with no headaches????

trans fluid cooler and maybe shift reprograming all i need?

thx frank
Old 08-23-2010, 12:24 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by frankgtb
thinking of picking up an 06 c6 a6 paddle for road race track lapping?

anyone track one of these with no headaches????

trans fluid cooler and maybe shift reprograming all i need?

thx frank
I had an instructor a few years back that did--no issues. I would think trans cooler and nothing more.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:32 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe PM ErnieN85 if he doesn't chime in. He went from a C5Z to a C6 A6 and has been tracking it successfully so far as I know.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:17 PM
0RAAMaudio
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...hpde-runs.html

Good info there
Old 08-23-2010, 03:18 PM
rbl
Drifting

Originally Posted by RAAMaudio
Actually that thread is misleading and mostly speculation from folks who, for the most part, have not been around the C6 with the A6 transmission. Some of the comments on it are ridiculous.

We have run an 06 with the Z51 on track for 4 years and about 35 events without issue other than on short tight course (south at VIR) the water temp and subsequently the oil will get too high when it is 100 degrees on the track. Other than good pads, R888 tires and a very good alignment the car is stock. She is PDQ as well and is not passed much.

The car has one quirk that is annoying which I believe was fixed in the 2008 model. At VIR off the front straight under heavy braking and just before turn-in we downshift to 3rd just like you would with the Z06. With the automatic I think the torque converter unlocks during the deceleration and when you get back in the gas there is a little hiccup in it like a hesitation. That is the only place or time it does this however.

The only other disadvantage to the A6 is the final gearing. 3rd in it is a little higher than it is in the Z06 so if you stay in 3rd for most turns you're a little under the power band and if you go down to 2nd you have too much torque. We only go to second if we are setting up for a pass.

If you can swing it I would look for a 2008 model instead, but a 2006 is a fine car too. Without the Z51 package, however, I don't think it will be much of a track car.

There is nothing to re-program on the transmission since you MUST shift the gears yourself if you run it in the sport mode. An external oil cooler kit would be a real bonus though.
Old 08-23-2010, 03:23 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 205 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by rbl
There is nothing to re-program on the transmission since you MUST shift the gears yourself if you run it in the sport mode. An external oil cooler kit would be a real bonus though.
I thought the issue with reprograming the A6 was specifically in regards to the sport mode. I thought faster shifts (100-150ms?) and the car staying in gear selected under all conditions were two big issues. I think it was chuck COW who was the A6 guru.
Old 08-23-2010, 03:39 PM
0RAAMaudio
Former Vendor

I have an 06 A6 with an 08 reflash and CC tune and both made things better from all my pre track testing conducted on low use back roads.

I also have an RPM built 3:15 diff, gearing I wanted to run to deal with the issue mentioned. It is a far better setup than the stock gearing and since you have the Z51, should be better than that ratio as well.

I am in Utah, much of the season is HOT, and I tow a trailer, I had to go with the radiator and trans cooler, oil cooler, etc......and brake cooling(for the track, not likely an issue towing)

As for the trans cooler, I had several very well experienced shops recommend it even though I had the parts from my race cars, no sales were in the works, they just said I needed it and they should know

Then again, my car is far from stock, fully tweaked suspension, much better brakes, a bit more power, some aero, mostly very hot track days, it will be far faster than a mostly stock C6 so I upgraded everything I believe it will need, before I find out the hard way(including accusump installed

Rick
Old 08-23-2010, 04:05 PM
Timz06
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have driven one, I kinda thought it sucked, but for just having a bit of fun at HPDE it would work.

Tim
Old 08-23-2010, 07:41 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

I don't remember what year my student at VIR had, it was a c6 with paddle shift auto though. He would overheat the trans fluid and it would go back to the computer shifting. This caused some interesting shifts especially at south bend on VIR full.

Please consider a trans cooler if you get one.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:32 PM
bearnest
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey James, I was your student in the red vett. A trans cooler is a must. A Chuck Cow tune will help with temps. and shift. A lot of this will depend on how you drive the car and what track you are on.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:18 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 223 Posts

Yes, to the trans cooler the biggest you can get in.
right now i have a small cooler and will be putting in a bigger one!
although at Vir this year the air temps were 90-100 and my trans never went over 217.
Just for reference my cooler is the smallest one Advanced auto sells. and it does enough to keep me out of trouble. I'll be putting in the largest they have for next season as I'd like temps under 200 (180 on track would be best).
I'm also using the Z06 engine oil cooler and oil temps were about 250 max............ It sure was hot there this year!

Get notified of new replies

To 06 c6 a6 paddle for road race track lapping?

Quick Reply: 06 c6 a6 paddle for road race track lapping?