Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pocono SCCA National T1 In-Car Video

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 06:09 PM
dsanders
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Pocono SCCA National T1 In-Car Video

After a couple people have seen this video they said I should post it. No one wants to see the perfect clean race that I lead flag to flag, noooo everyone wants to see the race that it is sloppy with rain and oil on the track, so here it is…
This was the SCCA National a couple of weeks ago at Pocono. The field consisted of GT1, GT2, STO, AS and T1. There were 4 T1 cars including Joe Aquilante (Red C6 in Grand Sport Trim) and John DeBarros (Red Ferrari 360 Challenge), Judi Warren (C5) and myself. I qualified first in class and 8th overall. It was cloudy all morning and rain was coming it was just a matter of when, we had the rain tires ready but it stayed dry at least for the start. I got a good start and passed a GT1 and GT2 car into turn 1 and separated myself from the other T1 cars, but at the end of the first lap I have a brain fart and miss the 4 to 5 shift and fall to third in class behind Joe and John. Now the dash is reading “charging system failure” because of the missed shift. After going through the gauges I see the volt meter at 12.0, it then starts to slowly drop and figured the race was done. After a couple of laps it is done to 11.0 and I am about to come in and then it resets and starts charging. Ok, so I get my head on straight and try to go after Joe and John. I catch up to Joe and it starts to rain and he gave up the position to me without too much fight, this is also about the time I realize turning the wipers on at 140 mph is not a good idea. I see John and he is stuck in a battle with the top 2 cars in GT2. I catch up to them and make it a 4 way battle. Usually I try not to get into out of class battles but both battles were for the lead. It was raining off and on and I think it was a GT1 car that was leaking oil so my windshield was a mess. We went 2 and 3 wide into a couple of turns and was offline most of the middle portion of the race because of this. About lap 10 John loops it in front of me and I take the lead and then the next turn I almost slide off the track but kept it on the pavement. I let the 2 GT2 Porsches go and figured I would have a front row seat to their race. One of them spins and then stays pretty quiet after that. I finished first in class and fifth overall. It was good, hard racing with no contact even with the poor track conditions.
Enjoy!
Laps 1-5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0eTRoUhLPQ
Laps 6-10
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrisnzKOdYk
Laps 11-15
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0_4k7KgMDQ
Laps 16-18
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeioaoDcLHo
Old 08-24-2010, 08:29 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Very Very Cool
Old 08-24-2010, 09:21 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Very nice video and driving.

Jim
Old 08-24-2010, 10:23 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Congrats Dave. Great work.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:18 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Hey Dave:

I have used my wipers up to 130 and never had them do what yours did. I watched the rest of the video and you never tried them again. Maybe not enough water and too much goop on the windshield to risk that?

Good driving with a few bloopers. It looked like you mainly over-shot brake zones a bit. I did not see any power on over-steer that I recall. I was surprised to see that, especially with a damp track.

It looks like Pocono is real fast on that one section. What is top speed there?

Oli
Old 08-25-2010, 10:34 AM
apexman
Racer

Good job! I Always enjoy a good in car race video, thanks for sharing.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:31 AM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Can't wait to watch later

and of course Dave!! No one wants to watch a boring green to checkered dominating finish!
Old 08-25-2010, 12:19 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Old 08-25-2010, 12:40 PM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Very cool
Old 08-25-2010, 01:01 PM
dsanders
Instructor

Originally Posted by Olitho
Hey Dave:

I have used my wipers up to 130 and never had them do what yours did. I watched the rest of the video and you never tried them again. Maybe not enough water and too much goop on the windshield to risk that?

Good driving with a few bloopers. It looked like you mainly over-shot brake zones a bit. I did not see any power on over-steer that I recall. I was surprised to see that, especially with a damp track.

It looks like Pocono is real fast on that one section. What is top speed there?

Oli
I think it was the blue GT1 Camaro that comes back on the track in front of me that was leaking something and was afraid to turn the wipers on and smear the windshield and make it worse, so I never tried the wipers again. The brake zones I over shot was more of trying to out brake a Ferrari with a Corvette with stock brakes still on it. I was also surprised how much grip the track still had with it being that damp. Pocono is the fastest (top speed) track I have run. The data shows 159 mph!
Glad everyone is enjoying the video.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:38 AM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Helluva race Dave! You made my close calls look like childs play with yours! Well done
Old 08-26-2010, 01:10 PM
racerbob4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great drive Dave. I guess you remember the T1 race a few years ago at Pocono when we had 15 vettes and a viper on the grid and the grid guy blew his 1 minute whistle and the rain came down in sheets. I was sure they would allow everyone to put on rain tires, but noooo, they started the race so they could quit early. Anyone behind the second row couldnt see anything on the start and Rob needed to finish 4th or better and ahead of 3 other guys to qualify for the runoffs. That was one long race and he could have won but I told him on the radio why take a chance, just keep on the track and he got a second in that race and a 3 or 4th in the earlier race. 15 corvettes, that was the day.

Get notified of new replies

To Pocono SCCA National T1 In-Car Video

Quick Reply: Pocono SCCA National T1 In-Car Video