Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will switching Rims from 18'f/19'r wheels to 18'f/18'r cause problems..

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 09:59 AM
trapp
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will switching Rims from 18'f/19'r wheels to 18'f/18'r cause problems..

I want to run r compound tires and its hard to find r-compound for both 18 and 19' wheels. I want to go with 18 wheels all around. Will switching at the track mess with the electronics or abs or tire pressure system or anything that I need to worry about.

Trapp
Old 08-26-2010, 10:08 AM
Z11409
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Must run with all AH/TC off-if you run 305 front and 335 rear'
Old 08-26-2010, 09:42 PM
trapp
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Z11409
Must run with all AH/TC off-if you run 305 front and 335 rear'
I don't know if that answered my question...pulling 19' wheels off the back and running 18' wheels instead will or will not mess with the electronics...
Old 08-26-2010, 10:22 PM
Webz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by trapp
I don't know if that answered my question...pulling 19' wheels off the back and running 18' wheels instead will or will not mess with the electronics...
YES it will mess with the electronics.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:25 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Trapp

Your at the point you should not have AH/TC on anyway. Plus having TQ management tuned so it will not come on

I dont think it will be a problem. Man guys with C6Zs run 18s all around anyway
Old 08-27-2010, 09:04 AM
Blurr
Instructor

Originally Posted by trapp
I want to run r compound tires and its hard to find r-compound for both 18 and 19' wheels. I want to go with 18 wheels all around. Will switching at the track mess with the electronics or abs or tire pressure system or anything that I need to worry about.

Trapp
Trapp,

I run an 07 C6Z with 18" all around. I have two set ups, 295 front/345 rear with Michilen Sport Cups on one set of CCW's, the other set has 315 front/345 rear with Hoosier R6's both sets have TPMS sensors.

Typically run the first session in comp mode after that everything is off. On an 07 you will need to hold the "TC/AH button" down for about 7 seconds to turn everything off.

At the track if I need to change a set of tires I simply reprogram TPMS system with the programming tool for the other set and have not had any problems with the DIC, AH or TC.

Hope this helps
Old 08-27-2010, 09:19 AM
trapp
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Blurr
Trapp,

I run an 07 C6Z with 18" all around. I have two set ups, 295 front/345 rear with Michilen Sport Cups on one set of CCW's, the other set has 315 front/345 rear with Hoosier R6's both sets have TPMS sensors.

Typically run the first session in comp mode after that everything is off. On an 07 you will need to hold the "TC/AH button" down for about 7 seconds to turn everything off.

At the track if I need to change a set of tires I simply reprogram TPMS system with the programming tool for the other set and have not had any problems with the DIC, AH or TC.

Hope this helps
Thanks....I just need to get a reprogramming tool and I'm set....I like to run in comp mode but I could learn "all of mode" Thanks again
Old 08-27-2010, 09:21 AM
trapp
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Trapp

Your at the point you should not have AH/TC on anyway. Plus having TQ management tuned so it will not come on

just getting to that point now....ok sounds like I'm ok with all electorics off....thanks
Old 08-27-2010, 09:51 AM
naschmitz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Webz
YES it will mess with the electronics.
Completely WRONG. TC/AH are only affected by tire diameters front to rear, not wheel diameter. If you run a taller rear tire on the same size wheel, the electronics won't even know. Just make sure your rear tire has about 1" larger diameter than the front.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:52 AM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 295 Likes on 76 Posts

BLURR is right, no problem.
Question? Do you want to be the fastest guy on the track or have the fastest car out there???? Or do you want to have a great day at the track and take your car home and look forward to the next track day???? Just my .02. run in Comp mode!!! There are a lot of very fast guys that run in Comp mode all of the time and have that little extra security. JD For those of you that think he should run with everything off!! No Problem. As I said this is my opinion.

Last edited by JDIllon; 08-27-2010 at 10:55 AM.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:55 AM
trapp
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JDIllon
BLURR is right, no problem.
Question? Do you want to be the fastest guy on the track or have the fastest car out there???? Or do you want to have a great day at the track and take your car home and look forward to the next track day???? Just my .02. run in Comp mode!!! There are a lot of very fast guys that run in Comp mode all of the time and have that little extra security. JD For those of you that think he should run with everything off!! No Problem. As I said this is my opinion.
If it all works out I would love to keep it in Comp mode. I have 600+ hp that could get away from me so I want to keep my car and health. I want to be fast but to a degree safe as possible. Comp mode seems to give me plenty of power even in drifting corners...but thats with street tires on. Most vette owners that I have run into that have alot more experience then me run with Comp mode. Anyway....theres no trophy in the events I run..

trapp
Old 08-28-2010, 10:56 AM
Joe_Planet
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you'll be fine. i run 18" ccws with 295/30 front and 335/30 rear with tpms and everything works perfectly! no engine drag control activating, or other anomalies. i'm enjoying reduced weight and cheaper tires with more choices
Old 08-28-2010, 09:32 PM
Webz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by naschmitz
Completely WRONG. TC/AH are only affected by tire diameters front to rear, not wheel diameter. If you run a taller rear tire on the same size wheel, the electronics won't even know. Just make sure your rear tire has about 1" larger diameter than the front.
It is not completely WRONG. I made no assumptions and he asked a simple question.
Old 08-28-2010, 11:32 PM
Armycop
Drifting

Originally Posted by naschmitz
Then how do you explain those of us who run square setups with no problems whatsoever? all tires are 315/35/18's; no difference in height front to back..been doing it this way for three years now....
Old 11-04-2011, 09:46 PM
jlutherva
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Trapp

Tom,
Other than CCW, what are the other vendors that provide good 18" track wheels for a C6Z? Looking for something that doesn't break the bank but will hold up to track use.
Thanks,
Jim

Get notified of new replies

To Will switching Rims from 18'f/19'r wheels to 18'f/18'r cause problems..

Quick Reply: Will switching Rims from 18'f/19'r wheels to 18'f/18'r cause problems..