Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-1 @ Spa this weekend.

Old 08-27-2010, 12:34 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default F-1 @ Spa this weekend.

After 4 weeks of vacation F-1 back as a reminder. They said they cannot even send an email during this period. Only marketing division is allow to work.
Old 08-27-2010, 03:12 PM
Me2d
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by John Shiels
After 4 weeks of vacation F-1 back as a reminder. They said they cannot even send an email during this period. Only marketing division is allow to work.
...everything was prohibited for only two whole weeks = and everything because no one trusts F1 teams to realy stop working

GP of Belgium is the best race in calendar! Njoy it!
Old 08-27-2010, 03:17 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Love, love, love Spa.
Old 08-27-2010, 03:18 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason
Love, love, love Spa.
Old 08-29-2010, 01:54 PM
The Panther
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Great race. It amazes me how fast they still run when it's raining.
Old 08-29-2010, 02:09 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason
Love, love, love Spa.
No place like it in the world
Old 08-29-2010, 08:57 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Good race...........................but, Ya, it DID rain
Old 08-29-2010, 09:03 PM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

I've really grown to dislike Vettle...blazing fast but prone to crash...and take others out with him.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:06 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Just insane.

F1 season should be Spa 8 times, then Monaco, then 8 more at Spa.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:17 PM
Rob Willis
Safety Car

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

Love SPA!

Pretty good race imho.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:16 AM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by argonaut
I've really grown to dislike Vettle...blazing fast but prone to crash...and take others out with him.
My turning point was Vettel's () act in Hungary. I kept muttering "Grow up, ya twerp" at the TV.

From a news story back in June:
Sebastian Vettel, lying 5th in the world championship after 10 races, is clearly not bonding with his fellow German drivers Nico Rosberg and Adrian Sutil. According to Roger Benoit, the long-time correspondent for the Swiss newspaper Blick, when he travelled to Montreal on the same Zurich flight as Vettel and Mercedes' Rosberg, the two were seated not a car's length apart, but neither greeted one another nor exchanged a single word. Benoit said the reason for the freeze was "clear": a few days earlier, Rosberg had said Vettel was definitely to blame for his crash with Red Bull teammate Mark Webber in Turkey. Meanwhile, after Sunday's grand prix, 22-year-old Vettel triggered the temper of Force India driver Adrian Sutil. Vettel, he revealed to the media, had approached the 27-year-old and sarcastically asked if his rearview mirrors had fallen off during the Montreal race."He should be quiet. He thinks he's a superstar," Sutil is quoted as retorting.
And here's an interesting article on this by Will Buxton, the Speed pit reporter (who brought this topic up during the broadcast this morning.)

http://formula-one.speedtv.com/artic...n-formula-one/

Be concerned for Spa as they are barely making enough money to break even and can't afford to pay Bernie's ever-rising price. Other countries want F1 races and are willing to pay more - much more - and that makes Bernie smile. It could be that what we saw today was the last one at Spa. I sure hope not.

http://motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=381804&FS=F1

There's a great bit on the history of the track at Wikipedia.org:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spa-Francorchamps

Here's a Google Earth pic where I marked in red the old, long track that David Hobbs talks about. Imagine an AVERAGE lap of 160+ mph around that with no guardrails, no lights at night, etc., in a 917 Porsche Seriously nuts. How about in the rain?!

Z//

Last edited by Zoxxo; 08-30-2010 at 12:19 AM.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:56 AM
clubracer6
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Spa is awesome! I so need to drive that track someday.. Maybe even race there.

Good race - Hamilton deserved the win, even if he was a bit lucky at the start.

While my enthusiasm for Vettle has certainly gone south this year, I disagree with the drive through penalty. They are racing these wickedly fast cars, on a wickedly fast track in some wickedly changing conditions - guys are going to lose control of their cars here and there... We want them to push - we want them right on the edge - why are we going to penalize them? Yes, Button was a victim and it sucked for him - but that's racing - it's not a kind sport.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:18 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by clubracer6
Spa is awesome! I so need to drive that track someday.. Maybe even race there.

Good race - Hamilton deserved the win, even if he was a bit lucky at the start.

While my enthusiasm for Vettle has certainly gone south this year, I disagree with the drive through penalty. They are racing these wickedly fast cars, on a wickedly fast track in some wickedly changing conditions - guys are going to lose control of their cars here and there... We want them to push - we want them right on the edge - why are we going to penalize them? Yes, Button was a victim and it sucked for him - but that's racing - it's not a kind sport.
I am torn both ways on that one.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:59 AM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by John Shiels
I am torn both ways on that one.
I thought he had a bad enough penalty by having to get back to the pits and change the nose...

It would have been better if he had been past pit-in...an entire lap around Spa with no front wing... Talk about pucker factor. He got lucky with his position, but it still cost him a LOT of places. They should have let it go right there...he was already out for the count. What they (stewards) did was push him out of the points.

I'm not a big fan of Sebastian...he's hot-headed and thinks the world should move out of his way. If he keeps crashing out like he does, he'll find himself on a team that ISN'T as good as Red Bull...he'll learn one way or another.

AWESOME race though
Old 08-30-2010, 11:50 AM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

IF the accident had been anyone other than Vettel I would have said let it go, but with Vettel's history, I think a penalty was warranted.
I was impressed that Webber and Hamilton embraced and congratulated each other....Ya won't see that with Vettel.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:11 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
IF the accident had been anyone other than Vettel I would have said let it go, but with Vettel's history, I think a penalty was warranted.
I was impressed that Webber and Hamilton embraced and congratulated each other....Ya won't see that with Vettel.
They both drove a great and clean race. Vettel hit almost everything except the safety car at Spa.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:13 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Vettle and Webber have been going at it all year, and I think Mark needs to teach the kid a thing or two.

I wasn't real happy with his 'pass' on Button as he should have known better given it was raining. If the car was that much faster wait til a safer area to pass. Not like it was the last lap to pass on.

Will someone get Schumi a new car soon! Nico's and his both can't keep up with the others.

Get notified of new replies

To F-1 @ Spa this weekend.

Old 08-30-2010, 12:21 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,387 Likes on 742 Posts

yeah, I'm with 'ya there.

However, even I thought that the penalty was borderline. If Vettel had missed Button, we would have just shaken our heads at the crazy conditions and moved on.

Honestly, I thought that the stewards wanted to make a point of Vettel's (driving/attitude/etc.) in a way that would make little, if zero, difference.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 08-30-2010, 01:47 PM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Besides Vettle's obvious immaturity and temper, is it safe to say what we are seeing this year is the difference between "Qualifying Craft" and "Race Craft"? Vettel excels at Qualifying but is so so at Racing. Once he gets in traffic, his considerable driving skill seems to take a back seat and his desperation to be up front leads to many mistakes. Quite a contrast between Vettal and say Button and Webber who are so good at working their way thru traffic and taking advantage of situations (rain, safety cars, etc). Then there is Hamilton - in my mind, as a driver he is the complete package. He has the blazing speed and skill of Vettel (just think what he could do in the RB) but also excels at the art of racing. I'm sure Vettel will be worthy of like praise in the future but right now he really lacks "Racecraft".
Old 08-30-2010, 02:14 PM
clubracer6
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Then there is Hamilton - in my mind, as a driver he is the complete package. He has the blazing speed and skill of Vettel (just think what he could do in the RB) but also excels at the art of racing.
Totally and completely agree... Been a huge fan of his since he started... He will win more championships without a doubt and while i want to see that happen - just not this year.... Always had a soft spot with Webber because of all the bad luck he's always had, yet for the most part he keeps an upbeat outlook. It would be so awesome if he took the title this year, with Hamilton a very close 2nd.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: F-1 @ Spa this weekend.