Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sources for C6 Z06 brake caliper rebuild kit??

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 08:20 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

i have seen scenarios where if people were using race tires and using full active handling (not comp mode even)they go through a set of pads and rotors easily in 1 day if they are pushing hard enough
Old 08-30-2010, 10:25 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Here is the Monday update. MI is stocking these part numbers. Which include seals and factory pistons.

19121808 front
19121810 Rear

Which is a good thing that people can get something anyways. I theory at some point they will have seal only kits. Maybe anyhow The pistons are getting chewed up, so a seal only kit maybe out of the question. Getting a firm answer on this is like guess how much oil got pumped into the gulf.

Randy
The following users liked this post:
Riq (11-01-2018)
Old 01-29-2013, 03:10 PM
pz06
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since I just went through having to find some. Carlson makes seals only kits.

http://www.showmetheparts.com/carlsonbrakes/
Old 01-29-2013, 08:47 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

I got a set of stainless steel pistons from DRM to install in the front calipers when rebuilding the old set, but I got a new set of calipers and put the SS pistons into my new set.

I also was going to rebuild the old set in order to sell them - there is a lot of interest in Z06 calipers that guys want to put on a C5, base C6, Camaro, or in my case I sold them to a guy who will put them on a '72 olds 442.

I was going to rebuild them but the guy bought them as is.

When installing the SS pistons in my new calipers I mucked up one of the dust boots, so I bought a rebuild kit just to get the one dust boot I needed. Here's a picture of the kit:

You can see that's a Carlson 41290 kit, and I got it on eBay for about $10. You'd need 2 of those for the front, and 2 of the Carlson 41291 kits for the rears, and they're about $8 each.

Bob
Old 04-01-2014, 02:31 AM
Phamz06
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey

Hey I was wonder do you know how to install the piston and seal ? I need some help I was bleeding my break and didn't know my other caliper was off the rotor and the piston pop out then I rip the seal trying to put it back my worst of luck ! But if you can help me would be great ! By the do these deal work with stock pistons?
Originally Posted by BEZ06
I got a set of stainless steel pistons from DRM to install in the front calipers when rebuilding the old set, but I got a new set of calipers and put the SS pistons into my new set.

I also was going to rebuild the old set in order to sell them - there is a lot of interest in Z06 calipers that guys want to put on a C5, base C6, Camaro, or in my case I sold them to a guy who will put them on a '72 olds 442.

I was going to rebuild them but the guy bought them as is.

When installing the SS pistons in my new calipers I mucked up one of the dust boots, so I bought a rebuild kit just to get the one dust boot I needed. Here's a picture of the kit:

You can see that's a Carlson 41290 kit, and I got it on eBay for about $10. You'd need 2 of those for the front, and 2 of the Carlson 41291 kits for the rears, and they're about $8 each.

Bob
Old 05-24-2015, 10:16 PM
SteveDoten@ARH
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

Good read, old, but great points on AH and the track
Old 06-10-2015, 12:36 PM
GS1000FF
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SteveDoten@ARH
Good read, old, but great points on AH and the track
Agree!!

Anyone with experience from shifting to the "RB aka Racing Brake" Z06 kit. Light weight thin walled SS pistons and reduced pad contact design!?
Looks good and less costly than replacing/upgrading the calipers.

I have the cooling ducts and alu heat shields already installed and yes they help but I still consume a lot of pads (Cobolt XR1 + Coleman HD rotors).
The OEM pistons and dust boots are now looking real uggly and the pistons seems to move very hard in the caliper so are considering a complete rebuild.

N.B. never actually had an issue with lost brakes they actually do a verty good jobb but are now quite high maintenance...!

Do I possibly cause some of this this myself by mostly running in Comp mode??
That is, if I keep the button down long enough it's also leaving Comp mode but what's then left only the ABS?
Or is that, zero help, and what most of you normally use on the track

Any thgoughts out there are welcome?

All the best/Ralph
Old 06-14-2015, 11:43 AM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 178 Likes on 160 Posts

Ralph,

IIRC, Comp mode is AH on, TC off. If you keep the button depressed, it will turn off AH too.

I run with the nannies on until such time my car is paid off. If I keep the slip angles equal front/rear, the nannies don't seem to kick in, at least I can't tell.

Quick Reply: Sources for C6 Z06 brake caliper rebuild kit??