Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Basic Shock question

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 07:46 PM
00fxd
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

Default Basic Shock question

I have been "Updating" my '65 for some years now with the intension of making the car handle better etc. Solid and urethane bushings on the control arms, spherical rod ends on the strut rods etc., front and rear sway bars, Vette Brake mono leaf front [didn't want a bouncy rear] and Bilstien 'Sport' shocks. I have recently come to the conclusion that the car rides too rough for me. I drive it a lot, it sticks very well in corners with my BFG KDW's, but railroad crossings and washboard roads shake me [and the car] up more than I like.
Recently I believe that I read or heard some where the NASCAR guys had changed the way they did things. Instead of super firm suspensions they were lightening things up with softer springs and shocks that keep the wheels in better contact with heavier sway bars keeping the car flat on the corners.
So I'm thinking of ditching the 'firm' Bilstien 'Sports' for a softer shock like Monroe Sensatrac or even taking it a step further [because it is a relatively light car comparatively speaking] and trying the even lighter Monroe Matics and letting the anti sway bars do the cornering work. As I am rarely on relatively smooth race tracks, maybe with some more 'float' there would be less bouncing around washboard corners if the wheels were more prone to staying with the road surface.
Does any one have any input for me?
Thanks, Frank

Last edited by 00fxd; 08-29-2010 at 08:00 PM.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:20 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Forget Monroe, either get Bilstiens or Konis
Old 08-30-2010, 10:40 PM
00fxd
Melting Slicks

c-mon, someone that frequents the "Autocrossing & Roadracing" section must have an opinion... Am I way off base here?
Old 08-30-2010, 11:01 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Shocks just control the rate at which the suspension moves; it's your springs (and swaybars are "springs") that control how stiff the car feels. Sure, if you crank up your bump adjuster you can made the car feel harsh, but then you're using the wrong suspension component to make the adjustment... that's just general comments, though, and nothing specific to your '65.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:58 AM
00fxd
Melting Slicks

Thanks gk, I agree with what you are saying about the springs/swaybars dictating the suspension firmness and maybe my front monospring is a bit stiff as well [set on the softest setting]. But what would the diff be between Bilstien "sports" and the Bilstien "heavy duties"? I do read where the sports are a stiffer shock but I don't quite understand I guess. Could the sports valving be such that they would be less quick to compress and therefore help towards flatter cornering?
Thanks for you thoughts.......

Edit; I checked vette brakes site, they note about the Bilstien HD's - "These shocks provide improved handling and stability without sacrificing ride comfort. They offer super damping ability that makes them ideal for occasional performance use, while maintaining and exceptional “street” ride."
While the Bilstien Sports make no note about "ride comfort"

Last edited by 00fxd; 08-31-2010 at 01:09 AM.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:09 AM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Shocks are a black art. :-) I'd talk to Randy@DRM as he seems to have a handle on all the different Bilstein valvings. The LG guys have also worked a bunch with Bilstein and probably have information there, too.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:53 PM
00fxd
Melting Slicks

Thanks again gk. Can you please elaborate contact info for the 2 sources you mentioned? I don't know who they are. I must be waaaay off base here. I sure expected a bit more input from others on an autocross/suspension forum....
Old 08-31-2010, 08:55 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Start with Randy@DRM on the forum. Doug races in vintage events so he's probably the right guy to talk to, anyway.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:08 PM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

hard hits over railroad crossings etc could be shocks bottoming out - i would check that first - the fix could be as simple as increasing the ride height although I have no clue what the situation is with that on '65
Old 08-31-2010, 11:11 PM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 00fxd
Thanks again gk. Can you please elaborate contact info for the 2 sources you mentioned? I don't know who they are. I must be waaaay off base here. I sure expected a bit more input from others on an autocross/suspension forum....
Doug Rippie = DRM.

http://www.dougrippie.com

They're good folks there, give em a call, if they can't help, they'll at least get you pointed in the right direction.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:34 AM
autoxer6
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some things to think about:

-Binding in the suspension can cause a rough ride. Binding urethane bushings in a common problem. Have they been greased lately?

-Is something else loose? Ball joints, cracked control arms, sway bar end links, etc.

-A "racing" shock isn't necessarily stiff. A Koni shock set full soft may be softer than a factory shock and it will have better control than a Monroe.

-Shocks are just one part of the "ride quality". I would check out the rest of the suspension first. Even things like torn body mounts can affect handling on the C2 & C3's.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:43 AM
00fxd
Melting Slicks

Thanks all. I just finished a body off, all is well. Everything is new, greased and tight. Howe tall stud ball joints from SC&C. It's not really hard hits @ crossings, just washboard roads and stuff is a bit too rough. There is lots of room for the shocks to move, the car is low but not that low....
I'll do some checkin' with Doug Rippie

Get notified of new replies

To Basic Shock question

Quick Reply: Basic Shock question