Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much camber is too much?

Old 08-29-2010, 09:10 PM
yakisoba
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default How much camber is too much?

I took some pyrometer readings for my buddy this weekend. He had a nice temp gradient across the tires, 180 ish at the inside edge, 150 or so at the outside, after four laps on a 2.9 mile course with 30 pounds starting pressure in 92 degree ambient, 102 track temp. Tires were Hoosier R6, brand new. The problem is, that temp gradient looks too steep to me. It was even, but 30 degrees from inside edge to outside seems like a lot. My question is: Can too much camber hurt you one a longer track with big straights?
Old 08-29-2010, 09:18 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

too much camber will effect your braking.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:38 PM
CorvetteZ51Racer
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

30 degrees is too much. The last event I ran at I had it to 5 degrees from inside, center, to outside.

As Brian stated, too much camber will reduce your braking capacity and have you in the ABS a lot. It will prematurely wear the inside of the tires out, and also affects your power application on corner-off.

FWIW, I'm running 2.2 deg in the front and 1.6 deg in teh rear, and on a 2.4 mile 17 turn course with every combination of turns you could imagine (increasing radius, decreasing, carousels, sweepers, double apex, blah blah blah) it seemed to be spot on.

On a separate note, R6s like hot pressures around 37-39.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:21 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

I agree 30deg is generally on the high side, BUT that's assuming you are coming in hot, and the tires are being worked right up to the time you take the temps. Also, rear temps are generally worthless on tracks with low speed, high torque corners.

Also, many tires these days offer more grip with ultra low pressures, even if the temps would lead you to think differently. It is a balance of taking tire temps, lap times, and seat-of-the-pants judgement to find actual outright performance. There are conditions/tires which do better with low pressure, high camber, even if the temps don't show it.

That being said, I generally find -1.8deg front is enough to get good performance, rarely have I ever found more than -2.25 to be necessary.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:31 PM
CorvetteZ51Racer
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

David,
How much do you find the static camber settings needing to change when you go from the OE rubber bushings to urethane or delrin bushings?
Old 08-30-2010, 01:17 AM
yakisoba
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
I agree 30deg is generally on the high side, BUT that's assuming you are coming in hot, and the tires are being worked right up to the time you take the temps. Also, rear temps are generally worthless on tracks with low speed, high torque corners.

Also, many tires these days offer more grip with ultra low pressures, even if the temps would lead you to think differently. It is a balance of taking tire temps, lap times, and seat-of-the-pants judgement to find actual outright performance. There are conditions/tires which do better with low pressure, high camber, even if the temps don't show it.

That being said, I generally find -1.8deg front is enough to get good performance, rarely have I ever found more than -2.25 to be necessary.
Interesting. Yes, we took temps off a hot pit passthrough. Longacre probe type pyrometer. Tire pressures started at 30 cold, recorded 37-39, different for each tire (expected)
Old 08-30-2010, 01:54 AM
96solo
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CorvetteZ51Racer
David,
How much do you find the static camber settings needing to change when you go from the OE rubber bushings to urethane or delrin bushings?
Old 08-30-2010, 07:33 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

I don't have a definite answer for you, but it's not much. There is only so much physical room for the bushings to deflect, so I think you'd be looking at 1/4deg max, maybe less.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:26 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

-3.2 and 1/8" out eats the insides, not horribly, but they are cording before the tire has finished it's useful life.

but it's fast.

I may go slightly less aggressive for RA and VIR in the future, but it works well at CMP
Old 08-30-2010, 08:34 AM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

-2.2 front and I was cording the outside prematurely. I'm running -2.8 which Frank and Steve reported having very even wear on Hoosiers.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:51 AM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

You want the inside to be 5-8 degrees warmer than the middle and the outside to be the same as the middle or just a few degrees warmer. You can't always get that.

You want the car to ride on the inside on the straights. Too flat and you get too much drag. Look at the Indy cars and F1 Camber.

Jim

Get notified of new replies

To How much camber is too much?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How much camber is too much?