Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reno-Fernley Raceway, Sept. 25 & 26

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 02:46 AM
bobmoore2
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Reno-Fernley Raceway, Sept. 25 & 26

Reno-Fernley Raceway is open again under new management, and Hooked on Driving will be there, Saturday, Sept. 25th and Sunday, Sept. 26th.

We don't get very many chances to drive on this exciting and challenging track. So who's planning to be there?

http://www.hookedondriving.com/hooked-on-driving-events

________________________________________ ________________________________________ ____________________
Reno-Fernley Raceway
Saturday, September 25 2010 / Sunday, September 26 2010
Reno-Fernley RETURNS!! HOD at RFR - September 25-26

YEEHAAA!! Reno-Fernley has returned for more driving fun! If you've been there, you know what a blast the Hoot 'n Holler, Horseshoe, and Sunset Straight are, if you haven't, you owe it to yourself to add this to your "Things to Do" list! We have photos of the new pavement that they've laid at the end of the Sunset Straight, and the re-do of the transition into the Horseshoe, fixing the two bad spots on track. New owners have spruced things up a bit, but it will be the same, rustic and raw, 24 turn course that we've learned to really love. Count on TONS of track time too! We'll gather in town for a dutch dinner somewhere (TBA) on Saturday - Come On Down to RFR for a good old time!!

Registration Fee: $495.00

A - Beginner - AVAILABLE
B - Intermediate - AVAILABLE
C - Advanced - AVAILABLE
X - Coaches/Leaders - AVAILABLE
Old 09-09-2010, 03:02 AM
bobmoore2
Drifting

Default What should I do about race tires?

I hear that the pavement is quite abrasive, so tires wear much faster than at other tracks.

I have one set of V710s that have about one day's rubber left, and another set with about 1 1/2 days of rubber. My tire trailer can carry only one set of tires.

I'm thinking about driving to and from the track (about 300 miles each direction) with one set of race tires on the car and the other set on the trailer. Would you do this, or would you be afraid to put that many highway miles on the race tires? Give reasons, please.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:23 AM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

It is more abrasive than other tracks but I think you'll be fine with your 1 1/2 day tires. So, you may be able to drive there on your street tires. Also depends on how much track time you'll get in 2 days instead of one.

It also depends on which course they're running. 2 weeks ago, we (SCCA) changed the upper course to eliminate the "peanut" to cut down on tire wear.
I spent 3 hours total instructing in a C5 Z06 with General street tires, the driver was pushing the car medium hard after the first session. The tire wear was minimal.

Note: We have another event there Oct.30th.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:14 AM
bobmoore2
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bill32
It is more abrasive than other tracks but I think you'll be fine with your 1 1/2 day tires. So, you may be able to drive there on your street tires. Also depends on how much track time you'll get in 2 days instead of one.

It also depends on which course they're running. 2 weeks ago, we (SCCA) changed the upper course to eliminate the "peanut" to cut down on tire wear.
I spent 3 hours total instructing in a C5 Z06 with General street tires, the driver was pushing the car medium hard after the first session. The tire wear was minimal.

Note: We have another event there Oct.30th.
They're doing three run groups, so I expect a lot of track time. Last year they used track configuration B, which does bypass the "peanut". They'll probably use the same configuration this year.

I think there is a good chance that either set of my V710s will run out of rubber before the end of the second day, even if I try to get additional tire life from swapping the tires side to side between the two days.

What I need to understand is whether I should risk running out of rubber on the second day, or risk driving 600 highway miles on V710s. How big a risk is it to drive 600 miles on V710s?
Old 09-10-2010, 11:03 AM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bobmoore2
How big a risk is it to drive 600 miles on V710s?
Bob, its not that big of a risk, at least based on my 50+ drives to the track on race tires. Chance of rain is very low; highway driving tire wear is negligible due to low tire temps and non aggressive use, I do pump up the pressure slightly to minimize the camber induced wear. Basically, your only risk is getting a flat. Have fun Bob, hope to see you out there soon when my car is running right.
Old 09-11-2010, 12:47 PM
bobmoore2
Drifting

Originally Posted by Sidney004
Bob, its not that big of a risk, at least based on my 50+ drives to the track on race tires. Chance of rain is very low; highway driving tire wear is negligible due to low tire temps and non aggressive use, I do pump up the pressure slightly to minimize the camber induced wear. Basically, your only risk is getting a flat. Have fun Bob, hope to see you out there soon when my car is running right.
Thanks, Sydney. I had forgotten that you drive to/from the track on slicks all the time. I'll pump them up to about 35 psi for the highway miles. Getting a flat won't be a problem, because I'll have four spares on the tire trailer behind me.

The job just moved me to a Wed. through Sat. schedule, so it will be harder now for me to fit the available track days into my off days. In other words, you'll be seeing me at the track less often than you used to.

If you just keep replacing the parts when they go bad, then eventually it will be like you have a new C4. That could be cheaper than trying to 'refresh' the old beast. Seriously though, good luck getting it running right again, and I hope it isn't too expensive or time consuming.

Bob
Old 09-11-2010, 12:56 PM
bobmoore2
Drifting

OK. That's the last thing I needed for that issue. I will be driving to the track with one set of V710s on the car and one set on my tire trailer.

So now we can get back to the Original purpose of this thread.

Who is going to Reno-Fernley on Sept. 25 & 26? Any other questions about the event I can answer?
Old 09-11-2010, 04:33 PM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by bobmoore2
Who is going to Reno-Fernley on Sept. 25 & 26? Any other questions about the event I can answer?
I may come out on Sat. just to see how HOD runs their event.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:31 AM
bobmoore2
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bill32
I may come out on Sat. just to see how HOD runs their event.
Look me up while you're there. I'll tell about all the times I've driven with HOD.

My car is the one in my avatar picture. (# 14)
Old 09-12-2010, 08:56 AM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Thanks, Bob. I may come out if I have time. I'm going to hit the Reno Air Races this week.

Get notified of new replies

To Reno-Fernley Raceway, Sept. 25 & 26

Quick Reply: Reno-Fernley Raceway, Sept. 25 & 26