Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First day at AUTOCROSS

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 06:58 PM
coolhand5599
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default First day at AUTOCROSS

I posted this in the tech. section. I was told to put it in this section. I did not know autocross had a section:o Anyway all advice is welcomed.

Today was my first autox in Brooksville, FL. What a great time. If anyone is ever interested the website is http://www.floridacorvetteracing.com/

My car is a 2 week old GS with F55, Auto and everything stock for now.

My first few runs I found out I was not as good of a driver as I thought I was. I started out in auto with traction control. after about my third run I was 14 sec. behind leader. So I took some rides with the leader and that was a great learning exp. This car was set up for this, to bad it was a Mutang. After this I started using the hand shifter, I was able to cut my times by ten sec. I was very happy but I still had all the nannies on. So I was feeling pretty good, I thought I would turn off the nanny. All of a sudden I sucked again. It felt like I was driving on ice I stayed with it and never did figure it out. It looked like I was going on the track to do donuts. I was spining out all over and my times went real bad.

So my big ??????????? Is do I learn to drive with nanny off or keep it on? What mode should I drive in? I am going to Seabring in a few weeks and the way I ended I am scared I am going to destroy my car if I leave the nanny off? Just looking for some FRIENDLY advice.

Thank you to all men and women who serve in the USAF
Old 09-12-2010, 07:14 PM
Datawiz
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 320 Likes on 152 Posts
CI-7-8-9-10 Veteran
Cruise-In IX AutoX Winner
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11,'19,'22
St. Jude/CI Name Tag Designer

Originally Posted by coolhand5599
I posted this in the tech. section. I was told to put it in this section. I did not know autocross had a section:o Anyway all advice is welcomed.

Today was my first autox in Brooksville, FL. What a great time. If anyone is ever interested the website is http://www.floridacorvetteracing.com/

My car is a 2 week old GS with F55, Auto and everything stock for now.

My first few runs I found out I was not as good of a driver as I thought I was. I started out in auto with traction control. after about my third run I was 14 sec. behind leader. So I took some rides with the leader and that was a great learning exp. This car was set up for this, to bad it was a Mutang. After this I started using the hand shifter, I was able to cut my times by ten sec. I was very happy but I still had all the nannies on. So I was feeling pretty good, I thought I would turn off the nanny. All of a sudden I sucked again. It felt like I was driving on ice I stayed with it and never did figure it out. It looked like I was going on the track to do donuts. I was spining out all over and my times went real bad.

So my big ??????????? Is do I learn to drive with nanny off or keep it on? What mode should I drive in? I am going to Seabring in a few weeks and the way I ended I am scared I am going to destroy my car if I leave the nanny off? Just looking for some FRIENDLY advice.

Thank you to all men and women who serve in the USAF
I run with FCR quite a bit. I've been autocrossing my '08 Z06 for 3 years and my '05 C6 before that.

To answer your question, I ran with competition mode for EASILY 2 years. It takes time to build the skills and confidence to run with everything off. Once you get there, you will be FAST. Once you learn to steer with the throttle, you're on your way to a fast lap.

In summary....run in competition mode to cut your teeth. Ween off of it when you are ready.

Sam and Joe run a fun club.

BTW, come on down to Fort Myers. We have a wonderful novice school on Saturdays. Our next event is Oct 2/3. Click on the link in my sig.

Last edited by Datawiz; 10-02-2010 at 08:40 PM.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:18 PM
coolhand5599
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Datawiz
I run with FCR quite a bit. I've been autocrossing my '08 Z06 for 3 years and my '05 C6 before that.

To answer your question, I ran with competition mode for EASILY 2 years. It takes time to build the skills and confidence to run with everything off. Once you get there, you will be FAST. Once you learn to steer with the throttle, you're on your way to a fast lap.

To answer your question....run in competition mode to cut your teeth. Ween off of it when you are ready.

Sam and Joe run a fun club.
Sam and Joe were great. They put together a great track. What does Competition mode do? How do I get it in this mode?
Old 09-12-2010, 07:21 PM
Datawiz
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

CI-7-8-9-10 Veteran

Sam and Joe were great. They put together a great track. What does Competition mode do? How do I get it in this mode?
In the C6, you have the traction button on the center console by your right thigh. If you press it once, it turns off traction control. If you press it twice in succession, you should be in competition mode.

To turn everything off, you must hold that button down for 10+ seconds. If you do that, hang on to your helmet.

Come down to Fort Myers on the 2nd of October and I'll give you some great training.

I'll even let you take my Z06 for a lap or two.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:26 PM
coolhand5599
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

In the C6, you have the traction button on the center console by your right thigh. If you press it once, it turns off traction control. If you press it twice in succession, you should be in competition mode.

To turn everything off, you must hold that button down for 10+ seconds. If you do that, hang on to your helmet.
LMAO Well after a while I did just that pressed the button for 10 sec. That was a confidence killer I felt like I was on ice. But Joe told me to leave it like that. What does comp mode do?
Old 09-12-2010, 07:29 PM
Datawiz
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

CI-7-8-9-10 Veteran

LMAO Well after a while I did just that pressed the button for 10 sec. That was a confidence killer I felt like I was on ice. But Joe told me to leave it like that. What does comp mode do?
Comp mode allows you to spin the tires on launch, which is needed, and allows about 6-7 degrees of slip angle in the rear end before the computer kicks in. It allows you to be fast, but protects you when you screw up.

Once you become FAST, Comp mode will boil your brake fluid. The brakes are constantly being applied, 1 rotor at a time, to keep your car pointing in the right direction.

When I finally cut the apron string on our 1/2 mile test-n-tune track and went with everything OFF, it equated to 7 tenths on a a 30 second track.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:07 PM
BOTY79
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Autoxcrossing

You can get all the advice you want and a lot of it is very sound advice and don't be afraid to aks the fast guys for help for help,but there nothing better than seat time and learing what your car will do. Main thing is dont get discouraged and just keep trying,Good Luck Rod
Old 09-12-2010, 09:13 PM
coolhand5599
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Thank you, I have only had the car two weeks
Old 09-12-2010, 09:14 PM
coolhand5599
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Would the car handle better if I put the Z51 sway bar on? Remember I have F55.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:17 PM
vettehardt
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Adding the bar might help the handling, but are you going to get the most from it as a beginer? One thing I keep telling people is learn to drive what you have first then start changing things. Alot of people keep throwing parts at their cars when they don't even really know how to drive what they already have. What will ultimatly help your times most is seat time and learning to drive the car. The second thing that makes a big improvement are tires. Everything else done only makes small improvements to your autocross times.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:23 PM
coolhand5599
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by vettehardt
Adding the bar might help the handling, but are you going to get the most from it as a beginer? One thing I keep telling people is learn to drive what you have first then start changing things. Alot of people keep throwing parts at their cars when they don't even really know how to drive what they already have. What will ultimatly help your times most is seat time and learning to drive the car. The second thing that makes a big improvement are tires. Everything else done only makes small improvements to your autocross times.
I see you are from Lakeville. I am from Goshen, Live in FL now. Anyway thanks
Old 09-13-2010, 12:02 AM
Sgt.Gator
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Would the car handle better if I put the Z51 sway bar on? Remember I have F55.
Coolhand, IMHO don't spend a dime on car parts for now. Spend your dimes on going autocrossing.

When you think you're going as fast as your car can go.....find a driver who's been autocrossing for 20 years, preferrably in a car with a big engine and RWD. Like C Prepared Camaros, other Corvettes, and let them drive your car for a couple of auto-x laps. You'll discover there's more time to be gained by simply driving better.

I know, I let a 30 year Sunbeam Tiger driver take my car for two heats at an auto-x. He SMOKED me by 2+ seconds. Since then I've been learning more and continuing to let better drivers drive my car for a couple of laps at every event. Now I'm typically about 1.5 seconds slower than they are. When I close that gap to even I'll consider mods. Probably be a couple of years though....
Old 09-13-2010, 12:48 AM
coolhand5599
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Sgt.Gator
Coolhand, IMHO don't spend a dime on car parts for now. Spend your dimes on going autocrossing.

When you think you're going as fast as your car can go.....find a driver who's been autocrossing for 20 years, preferrably in a car with a big engine and RWD. Like C Prepared Camaros, other Corvettes, and let them drive your car for a couple of auto-x laps. You'll discover there's more time to be gained by simply driving better.

I know, I let a 30 year Sunbeam Tiger driver take my car for two heats at an auto-x. He SMOKED me by 2+ seconds. Since then I've been learning more and continuing to let better drivers drive my car for a couple of laps at every event. Now I'm typically about 1.5 seconds slower than they are. When I close that gap to even I'll consider mods. Probably be a couple of years though....

That is good advice, Thank you
Old 09-13-2010, 06:59 PM
coolhand5599
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

how do I find out about other autocross races in central FL? Is the one in Brooksville the only one?
Old 09-13-2010, 10:59 PM
ipuig
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

how do I find out about other autocross races in central FL? Is the one in Brooksville the only one?
The North FL club sponsors a low speed event almost every month and one high speed event per year. Nice people, lots of autocrosses, wish I was back in FL.

http://www.ncccsouth.com/html/2010_sch.html
Old 09-14-2010, 01:59 AM
Sgt.Gator
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Here's the central Florida SCCA:
http://www.cfrscca.org/
Click on Solo on the left column. (Solo is SCCA autocrossing)
Old 09-14-2010, 11:01 PM
coolhand5599
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

thank you all

Get notified of new replies

To First day at AUTOCROSS

Old 09-14-2010, 11:27 PM
Han Solo
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not sure if Sebring is a good idea before gaining some more low speed experience but please be careful if you go.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:51 PM
coolhand5599
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Han Solo
Not sure if Sebring is a good idea before gaining some more low speed experience but please be careful if you go.

I am not sure myself. They said I would have an instructor. But I may go to http://www.sportscardrivingexperience.com/ before Seabring.
So the can some good things in my thick skull
Old 09-20-2010, 07:52 PM
coolhand5599
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Come down to Fort Myers on the 2nd of October and I'll give you some great training.

I'll even let you take my Z06 for a lap or two.

Can you give me more info on the Oct 2 event. I think I will take you up on the offer. I do not need to drive your car but I would like for you to drive mine. I would like to learn as much as I can.

Quick Reply: First day at AUTOCROSS