Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette family CMP

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 12:25 PM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Corvette family CMP

Big thanks to Pat (Silver Z06) and Billy (burgundy C5) at CMP this weekend..... Along with my bolt issue I had my clutch master decide to kick the bucket .... Billy was more than willing to lend a hand in replacement and Pat even gave me a bolt from his own car..... Good to have people wiling to lend a hand when things are not going your way :-) Will pay it forward someday I am sure.
Old 09-13-2010, 01:31 PM
FASST LN
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm planning on running there (HPDE) for the second time on Oct. 15th. Nice place.
Do you have any brake modifications and how did your brakes hold up there?

My first time down, last Spring, it was raining a bit so I never got a chance to go full out. I have little confidence in my stock braking system (though I am running Motul brake fluid) and was curious what your experience was like.

Thanks!
Old 09-13-2010, 03:56 PM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Originally Posted by FASST LN
I'm planning on running there (HPDE) for the second time on Oct. 15th. Nice place.
Do you have any brake modifications and how did your brakes hold up there?

My first time down, last Spring, it was raining a bit so I never got a chance to go full out. I have little confidence in my stock braking system (though I am running Motul brake fluid) and was curious what your experience was like.

Thanks!
I have ran 3 times at CMP .... I am run in the Solo groups and run. about 1.55 - 2.00 minute laps. I do short shift and am not full out on the straights running PFC01 have had no problems with the brakes .... I can usually get 3-4 days out of pads... I use ATE blue / gold fluid with no additional cooling on the brakes ... this is with stock size NT05 tires..

I will put a video up soon...
Old 09-13-2010, 04:00 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

CMP (if driven really hard) is the hardest track on brakes I've run on.

After the kink, T14, and T1 (all in a row) you have the park the car from 100+ mph.
Old 09-13-2010, 04:18 PM
billy25us
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Glad to be of some help.
Old 09-13-2010, 04:29 PM
RaleighSS
Drifting

since I brought up lap times ... what times are you guys turning there ??? With what tires / suspension
Old 09-13-2010, 05:00 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

1:43-1:44 last year with a "street" stock TTA car.

sperkins did a 1:42.xx this year in his stock black 03 with a street alignment and C91s

best lap this year with a better "prepped" TTA car, 1:40.2.

275 Hoosiers/C91s
Old 09-13-2010, 05:11 PM
Timz06
Safety Car

Originally Posted by RaleighSS
since I brought up lap times ... what times are you guys turning there ??? With what tires / suspension
Sounds like your brakes should hold up quite well at 15 seconds off Drivinhard's pace!
Old 09-13-2010, 05:31 PM
FASST LN
Drifting

Originally Posted by RaleighSS
I have ran 3 times at CMP .... I am run in the Solo groups and run. about 1.55 - 2.00 minute laps. I do short shift and am not full out on the straights running PFC01 have had no problems with the brakes .... I can usually get 3-4 days out of pads... I use ATE blue / gold fluid with no additional cooling on the brakes ... this is with stock size NT05 tires..

I will put a video up soon...
YES! Bring on the video!!!
I lied. I'm running the same Blue brake fluid you are. My best lap was around 2:00 short shifting and not going WOT (accelerating and braking at about 80%) but working the turns at about 100%.
My front tires at the time were pushing pretty bad. Hoping the replacements will cure that problem.

A friend in his stock C6 ZO6 running Hoosiers was running mid to low 1:40s. His dad was in the low 1:40s and is a former instructor there.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:06 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

In a full weight (3306lbs), stock 03Z06 with an aggressive alignment and lowered ~1 inch, I ran a 1:43.xx on fresh 275 Hoosier A6s in 100+ degree heat in June this year. The track was greasy as hell.

Not the 1:40 barn-burner Mark ran, but I do believe he had temps in the 60s or so (early May I think). Or maybe I am saying that to make myself feel better, LOL.

At CMP, on a hard weekend, I can go through a set of Carbotech XP12/XP10 pads in two days.

-Kevin
Old 09-13-2010, 07:24 PM
Z06Tracker
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mark did not see any temps near the 60's. It was slick out. But, back on subject, you may wear the pads out or crack a rotor, but the brakes will stop you when asked.

Originally Posted by brkntrxn
In a full weight (3306lbs), stock 03Z06 with an aggressive alignment and lowered ~1 inch, I ran a 1:43.xx on fresh 275 Hoosier A6s in 100+ degree heat in June this year. The track was greasy as hell.

Not the 1:40 barn-burner Mark ran, but I do believe he had temps in the 60s or so (early May I think). Or maybe I am saying that to make myself feel better, LOL.

At CMP, on a hard weekend, I can go through a set of Carbotech XP12/XP10 pads in two days.

-Kevin
Old 09-13-2010, 07:36 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

CMP is weird, the grip either sucks, or really sucks

I always figured it was the sand, but when we walked the track in May, the surface was actually very clean.

The run in May was first timed AM on Saturday, maybe 75-80 by then? I had sticker rears and scrub fronts and literally couldn't turn the car the whole lap. I'd say there was a second left with sticker fronts.

Me and scott went at it hard in Nov and Feb, both when it was cool, and never ran quicker. Almost like when you make more power you just can't hook up and go slower.

I go back and forth on hating/not hating that track. I'd feel better if we bulk mailed all our brake pad backing plates to Alan Wilson

735 E Mont Clair Drive
North Salt Lake, UT
Old 09-13-2010, 08:16 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Morris, thanks for making me feel worse.

I don't like CMP, simply put. I go there because my friends do events there and it is less than 2 hours away. It is hard on brakes and hard on tires. This past June was the first time I have been there in several years and didn't cord a tire. Mainly due to the fact that I had paper thin brake pads and didn't want to put on another set so I nursed the car except in TTs.

With that said, I will be driving an endurance race there (LeMons) two weekends from now, LOL. I'll run anywhere anyone lets me; pavement, dirt, ice. I don't care!

-Kevin
Old 09-13-2010, 09:10 PM
billy25us
Racer

YES! Bring on the video!!!
I lied. I'm running the same Blue brake fluid you are. My best lap was around 2:00 short shifting and not going WOT (accelerating and braking at about 80%) but working the turns at about 100%.
My front tires at the time were pushing pretty bad. Hoping the replacements will cure that problem.

A friend in his stock C6 ZO6 running Hoosiers was running mid to low 1:40s. His dad was in the low 1:40s and is a former instructor there.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiS0bhEvt14

Here is a video of me in the pewter vette that is my avator . I do not have lap times in it but I have ran a 1:46 in a stock c6 with spent hoosiers . I am not the biggest fan of cmp but I also only go because of my freinds and I instruct with the Carolina's Region PCA and this is our home track.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:21 PM
billy25us
Racer

Originally Posted by brkntrxn
Morris, thanks for making me feel worse.

I don't like CMP, simply put. I go there because my friends do events there and it is less than 2 hours away. It is hard on brakes and hard on tires. This past June was the first time I have been there in several years and didn't cord a tire. Mainly due to the fact that I had paper thin brake pads and didn't want to put on another set so I nursed the car except in TTs.

With that said, I will be driving an endurance race there (LeMons) two weekends from now, LOL. I'll run anywhere anyone lets me; pavement, dirt, ice. I don't care!

-Kevin

What are you going to be driving. I will be there driving the batmobile saturn.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:13 AM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by drivinhard
sperkins did a 1:42.xx this year in his stock black 03 with a street alignment and C91s
Good tires that's all. The C91's were extremely consistent. Here were the lap times per session for that weekend in the pig. Good enough for 1st place loser.

1:42.325
1:42.118
1:42.248
1:42.891
1:42.348

Last edited by sperkins; 09-14-2010 at 12:17 AM.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:45 AM
FASST LN
Drifting

Originally Posted by billy25us

Here is a video of me in the pewter vette that is my avator . I do not have lap times in it but I have ran a 1:46 in a stock c6 with spent hoosiers . I am not the biggest fan of cmp but I also only go because of my freinds and I instruct with the Carolina's Region PCA and this is our home track.
Billy, what was your setup on the C5? You sure ran down those Vipers pretty easily...though they didn't have the best driving line.
Car sounded great! Thanks for posting.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette family CMP

Old 09-14-2010, 10:55 AM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Found my best lap at 1:52 through 3 events there ... but def consistent in the 1:57 range... need to really try and bust tail and see what I can get it to .... guess then I will eat up more pads :-)
Old 09-14-2010, 10:59 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I put on my rear 285 nitto RIIs (decent shape) and scotts 275 RIIs (totally shot) in may and flogged it as hard as I could and did a 1:47 something. understeering pig with those trashed R2's up front

shows you what tires are worth
Old 09-14-2010, 11:03 AM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by billy25us

Why in the heck did the instructor steal your rear view mirror? That's just crazy.

Quick Reply: Corvette family CMP