Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Race Tires In Cool Weather?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 05:32 PM
bgenerous
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Race Tires In Cool Weather?

I live up in Anchorage Alaska and during our last autocross event this last weekend I had an interesting discussion with a fellow driver about race tires. I drive a bone stock 2006 Z06 with the original (I believe) Goodyear run flats on it (car is new to me with only 4700 miles). I told my friend that I was planning on getting some Hoosier A6's for next season because I just couldn't get ANY grip on the course. He stated that since the temperature up here doesn't get as warm as it does in the lower 48 that I would probably we wasting my money on a special set of race tires versus just getting a good set of everyday street tires. To give you an idea of the kinds of temperatures we see, it was about 50 when we started and reached 65 by the end of the day. We checked the temperature of the course and the pavement was only 74 degrees my mid afternoon.

My friend said that since the temperatures were not even into the 80's, the race tires would never heat up enough to make much of a difference. So my question to all of you that have run both street and race tires; do you think race tires are the way to go considering the low temperatures in which they would be used most of the time?

At $1500 a set for Hoosier A6's not counting the extra set of wheels I would need to purchase, the decision I make has a substantial dollar value to it.

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have for my situation.

Brad
Old 09-13-2010, 05:43 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Those temps aren't too bad actually. A6's would be great in those temps as would kumho V710's. I've run race tires in the winter down here when it doesn't get above mid 50's and still had a lot of grip compared to any street tire. You should absolutely destroy your street tire times with a set of A6's or 710's IMO as long as your temps aren't freezing.
Old 09-13-2010, 06:20 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

A6's do pretty well in cooler temps
Old 09-13-2010, 08:34 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

You're gonna love A6's.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:27 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

The race tires will definitely add grip as long as the temps do not get too cold. I have run my Kumho V710 tires at VIR when the ambient temp was 35 deg. They took a little longer to warm up but gripped fine especially when compared to what stock runflats do at the same temp. Check out the manufacturers websites and look at the specifications sections in detail for performance VS temp information.
Old 09-16-2010, 03:46 PM
wdtiger
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brad! Hey... this is Will. I was wondering why you were in SS class.

The important thing with our temps and especially, our short-ish courses, is to not OVER tire the car. Race tires need heat in them and too wide of a tire will prevent them from getting warm. No heat in them and you might as well have some street tires. Once they start to get heat cycled out, it will get harder and harder to get heat in them... ask me how i know! My 4 year old Kuhmo V710s are starting to become a challenge to get up to temp. They are the same tires i used to run on my Camaro. 275/45/17s all around. What size is stock on that monster? I would highly recommend sticking to stock width tires... and this might sound crazy, but maybe even a step or two down depending on what stock is. haha.

Call me... let's talk!
Old 09-16-2010, 03:54 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,741 Likes on 939 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

If you cannot get heat into the tires they will be useless. An autocross track is short. If you were doing multiple laps on a race track those would be perfect record setting temps on race tires. I agree with the statement on even going narrower to try and heat them up quicker. You dont know for sure unless you try.

Get notified of new replies

To Race Tires In Cool Weather?

Quick Reply: Race Tires In Cool Weather?