Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ride Height: How low possible on stock suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 10:51 AM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Anthony @ LGMotorsports
C5, C6, C6Z? I have a few here...what do you need as far as heights go?
Originally Posted by spdislife
How about stock numbers for a c5 Z.

Thanks... Joe
Does anybody have these? I recently bought my '01Z so have no idea where it is setup as far as ride height. It's definitely lower than stock but I'm not sure how much lower.

-Matt
Old 05-04-2011, 11:18 AM
geerookie
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK. I going to dive in with my settings for a C5. Bottom line I personally feel that as long as you are in the ball park most of the speed differences are mental. Almost all of us are weekend/non_professional racers. We do this for fun and I doubt many (not all) of us could run laps consistent enough to see if we got the .005 second per lap improvement some settings will provide.
Remember, setup should be based on:
The geometry of the cars suspension
Weight and down-force available
The tires you run
The type of track it is
Flat or Banked
Mainly left or right turns
Proof and Testing:
Lap Times
How it "Feels" to the driver
I'm of the opinion you setup the car to obtain maximum mechanical grip and then it is the drivers job to take advantage of what they have. I see and understand both sides of the argument but MY PERSONAL feelings and the way I work with my car is, I need to learn how to drive the car setup for best mechanical grip.
This is why "Feel" is last for me.

The dimensions given by the factory are for a street car. They have to build in a certain amount of understreer required by the DOT. This is why they use a staggered wheel size and the ride heights specified.
The T1 setup is based on the requirements to run in class and the springs and shocks specified.
So, obviously when you are using different wheels sizes, tires, springs, shocks and sways the dimensions will change.
This is where I'm at for a race car, not a dual purpose car.
After testing I have ended up with:
1.5 - 2.5 degrees of camber in the front
1.5 - 2 in the rear depending on the tire I use and the track I'm at
The ride height measurement at the frame rails is equal front and rear with me in the car.
The body on a C5 has appropriate aerodynamic rake built into the body already.
For my car measuring at the lower control arm pivots to the ball joint this means about 20 - 25mm on the front and 55 - 65mm on the rear.
I have a splitter with a full under tray on the front (front breather)
Wheel lip canards
Ventilated hood and a wing on the back with up to 450lbs of down force. I'm set for about 300lbs at 120mph.
I use 18x10.5" wheels front and rear with identically sized tires front and rear.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:34 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I went to CMP this weekend with some scrub A6's with 3 goals, win some new tires with old tires, get qualy points for nats, and play around/test with the car. Specifically, I played around with rear ride height. I started out with the car lower in the rear than I've ever run it, and through the course of the weekend raised it. Despite not adjusting the cross (did not bring my scales) after raising the ride height, the car got faster (and felt better) through the weekend.

There is no doubt in my mind about running the car low, especially in the rear. The front doesn't seem to be as bothered by it. (this is with OEM springs and C5Z OEM shocks with a 3118+ lb race weight)
Old 05-04-2011, 11:40 AM
geerookie
Drifting

Originally Posted by Scooter70
Does anybody have these? I recently bought my '01Z so have no idea where it is setup as far as ride height. It's definitely lower than stock but I'm not sure how much lower.

-Matt
I have searched the GM manual and it doesn't specify any difference in ride height for the Z06, only a difference in alignment specs.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:48 AM
geerookie
Drifting

Originally Posted by drivinhard
I went to CMP this weekend with some scrub A6's with 3 goals, win some new tires with old tires, get qualy points for nats, and play around/test with the car. Specifically, I played around with rear ride height. I started out with the car lower in the rear than I've ever run it, and through the course of the weekend raised it. Despite not adjusting the cross (did not bring my scales) after raising the ride height, the car got faster (and felt better) through the weekend.

There is no doubt in my mind about running the car low, especially in the rear. The front doesn't seem to be as bothered by it. (this is with OEM springs and C5Z OEM shocks with a 3118+ lb race weight)
I would agree but you have to be very careful of the toe settings as you change rear ride height. If you are near factory height or maybe 10 - 20mm low and you have your toe set for 1/8" then you start to lower it you will end up with toe out and things can get a bit hairy under braking or turn in. If you look at the curve for the rear toe when set at say zero at static ride height, then at full droop it is toe in then as it approaches static height it goes back to zero then as it compresses more it goes to toe out pretty quickly.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:56 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by geerookie
then as it compresses more it goes to toe out pretty quickly.
exactly what I have noticed on my fixture.

the front doesn't seem to be bothered by this as much.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:17 PM
geerookie
Drifting

exactly what I have noticed on my fixture.

the front doesn't seem to be bothered by this as much.
Just a hint, I found if you lengthen the toe link mount at the spindle upright by about an 1" or so you can slow down the toe out under compression and it becomes much more linear under droop. I tried relocating the mount on the cradle but it didn't have very positive affects in any direction or position that was realistic within mounting constraints.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:26 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

)
Curious how high you got it? Mine now measures about 5.06" to the frame rail at the rear jacking puck location. This is on the rail itself not in the recessed part where the puck actually goes. Front is 4.75" so there's 0.31" rake. You can see it in the fender gaps (although of course I never measured those).

Looking at a lot of C5s at a recent NASA event, the fender gaps front/rear on just about all the cars were low and the same front to rear.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:36 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Originally Posted by sothpaw2
Curious how high you got it? Mine now measures about 5.06" to the frame rail at the rear jacking puck location. This is on the rail itself not in the recessed part where the puck actually goes. Front is 4.75" so there's 0.31" rake. You can see it in the fender gaps (although of course I never measured those).

Looking at a lot of C5s at a recent NASA event, the fender gaps front/rear on just about all the cars were low and the same front to rear.
comparing measurements at the fender or the frame isn't very accurate unless you have the exact same size wheels, tires and air pressures. Those measurments are only relevent for comparison and setup on your specific combination. That's why I use the numbers from the pivot point to the bottom of the ball joint.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:41 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Despite not adjusting the cross (did not bring my scales) after raising the ride height, the car got faster (and felt better) through the weekend.

I would expect this to be true with stock springs and shocks. If you were in a class that allowed custom shocks or coilovers this would not be the same assuming you kept the geometry within sane limits.
The advantages of ST2
Old 05-04-2011, 01:49 PM
TheNick
Advanced

comparing measurements at the fender or the frame isn't very accurate unless you have the exact same size wheels, tires and air pressures. Those measurments are only relevent for comparison and setup on your specific combination. That's why I use the numbers from the pivot point to the bottom of the ball joint.
Actually the distance from the center of the wheel to the fender is independent of all the variables you mentioned. The only variable you can't account for is a non-stock fender.

Measuring from the ground to the frame rail is useless unless both cars have the same size wheels/tires/etc.
Old 05-04-2011, 02:22 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Originally Posted by TheNick
Actually the distance from the center of the wheel to the fender is independent of all the variables you mentioned. The only variable you can't account for is a non-stock fender.

Measuring from the ground to the frame rail is useless unless both cars have the same size wheels/tires/etc.
100% Agree. There is still a variable from car to car even with stock fenders. It is how and where the fender is mounted. There are many things that can change this by as much as 1/2" in relation to the axle center line.
Once you have setup a car working from the pivot points and ball joints this would be a very easy way to make and verify future changes especially if you don't have a lift.
Old 06-25-2011, 04:51 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Just to confirm on this - trim measurements should be from the middle of the forward-most bolt on the front of each lca mount? This doesn't look like an issue on the front as the forward front bolt looks parallel, but rear forward bolts are angled.

Thanks.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:28 AM
geerookie
Drifting

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
Just to confirm on this - trim measurements should be from the middle of the forward-most bolt on the front of each lca mount? This doesn't look like an issue on the front as the forward front bolt looks parallel, but rear forward bolts are angled.

Thanks.
Yes it is the front of the front bolt in both cases. The idea being this is basically (closest) pivot point to being in the same plane as the ball joint.
You will notice there is a big difference in the mm value for the front and rear measurement.
Typical T1 setup calls for about 72mm difference front to rear.
This is partly for geometry and partly to keep rake in the chassis.
I have started venturing away from such a huge difference since I found out the body has aero rake built into it and you get better balance front to rear when you don't add rake to the chassis.
The biggest thing is to not go the wrong way on the ride height/geometery and start causing your contact patch to become a moving target.
Old 06-26-2011, 12:22 PM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
The owner's manual in my C5Z indicated no more than 15mm which is a little over a half inch. On another now defunct forum a long time ago Ken Brown from GM Engineering posted that the early C5 Z51 cars shouldn't be dropped more than a half inch.

One well known T1 racer who is part of this forum told me he doesn't lower his cars at all. He didn't find any advantage to lowering them.

Bill
I agree
Old 06-26-2011, 12:32 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes it is the front of the front bolt in both cases. The idea being this is basically (closest) pivot point to being in the same plane as the ball joint.
You will notice there is a big difference in the mm value for the front and rear measurement.
Typical T1 setup calls for about 72mm difference front to rear.
This is partly for geometry and partly to keep rake in the chassis.
I have started venturing away from such a huge difference since I found out the body has aero rake built into it and you get better balance front to rear when you don't add rake to the chassis.
The biggest thing is to not go the wrong way on the ride height/geometery and start causing your contact patch to become a moving target.
raking the car gives you suction under the car as the bottom is basically flat. What rake does a body have?
Old 06-26-2011, 03:14 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Got the ride height into spec.
Stock rear bolts were not short enough so we added a spacer up top to get to 122mm.
For the front, Hardbar's delrin mounts come with a bolt that is too short to get into spec. About an inch too short. We machined a pad out of of plastic, similar to delrin, with a little cup for the delring ball to sit in which got us in the ballpark of spec. Because of this I ended up with some extra rake, which I'll address later once I can source the correct length bolt.
When lowered, the A arms start to point downwards, which will cause all kinds of geometry havoc, which gets worse as the suspension is loaded. Dropping 1/2" probably still keeps the arms parallel to the ground, but doesn't seem like a good place to start (maybe for Z51/Z06 cars, def not base).
Cornerweighting was by far the easiest and quickest part of the whole ordeal. Do the jounce and roll a few times and then measure. And then again to recheck until the weights are steady.
Old 07-24-2011, 04:49 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

C6 trim height specs are slightly different, especially the C6Z:

My C6 Z51 (sort of, DRM coilovers, etc) is going in tomorrow morning and I'm looking at:
Front: -1.75deg camber, 1/32 total toe-in, 7.5deg caster
Rear: -1.25deg camber, 1/16 total toe-in

Ride height: 4 1/2" to frame just in front of jacking puck hole, rear 4 1/2" to frame just behind rear jacking puck hole. (Hoping this falls in to the right range as measured "properly".)

This is a bit more caster and somewhat less rake than I have on the car right now. I'm also going to space the front upper A-arms out a little bit since I rub the wheelhouse at lock right now.

Can anybody confirm that T1 trim values are 14mm and 86mm? That's a significant drop from even the minimum tolerances for a C6Z (35.6mm, 102.6mm)...
Old 08-25-2016, 10:24 AM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

Here's how to measure ride height the correct and most accurate way.
This is also how Phoenix Racing does it when they setup their cars and cars for customers.
The first diagram is the factory settings with tolerances. These are at curb weight.
I currently run with 25mm in the front and 97mm in the rear. I'm running Penske 8760's with coilovers and my car only weighs about 2850#'s with me in it.
You should maintain a rake at 72mm difference front to rear.

T1 setup is about 14mm front and 86mm rear.

Front measurement is from the center of the front pivot bolt of the front lower control arm to the bottom of the lower ball joint. This is the 1 and 2 measurment of the Z dimension.

Rear measurement is also from the center of the front pivot bolt of the rear lower control arm to the bottom of the lower ball joint. This is the 1 and 2 measurment of the D dimension.

These are the factory specs

This is the Front measuring location "Z Trim Height"

This is the rear measuring location "D Trim Height"

This is a picture of the tool I made to make the measurements instead of buying the $250+ GM tool

I put the socket over the nut, then stick the magnet on the bottom of the ball joint. Then I turn the nut on the threaded rod until the 1/2" angled aluminum piece is level then I measure the height along the threaded rod subtract 1/2 the diameter of the socket and the angle + the magnet and I have my number. This is easier on a 4 post lift but I do it on the ramps in my garage.

Here's a link to the GM tool.
http://www.costplustools.com/Kent-Mo...ge_p_9541.html

Hope this helps clear up all the questions that always come up around this subject. The primary reason you don't want to get your ride height too low is because these cars have camber gain built into the suspension and if they are too low the gain will be too fast and actually cause the tire to break loose. There is also the issue of bump steer but that can be corrected.
The T1 settings will work because the springs are so stiff. If you aren't using T1 springs those setting won't work properly!

This is why I run the higher setting but I can get away with lower than the factory min. tolerance because of the wheel rates I run. If you use some of the street/track coilover setups out there and your car weighs close to factory curb weight you will not get away with settings this low.
The only way to properly lower your car beyond these settings and maintain good and predictable handling is to use dropped spindles like the ones LG sells.

Just my 2 cents on the subject.
This was a great post but much of the valid photos and instructions are missing after all of these years. Can anyone else provide this info?

Thanks

Quick Reply: Ride Height: How low possible on stock suspension?