Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please critique my autocross alignment - C6, stock tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 06:12 PM
Hellspawn
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Please critique my autocross alignment - C6, stock tires

This is what I was thinking of for autocross, please tell me what you think:

FRONT:
Camber = -2.4*
Caster = As much positive as possible without sacrificing camber. (Keeping both sides equal)
Toe = Toe OUT, 1/8 inch

REAR:
Camber = -1.5*
Toe = Toe IN, 1/8 inch

The car will not be driven on the street with this alignment. Also I am on street tires for now (Firestone Firehawk Wide Ovals), so is that fine with this alignment?
Old 09-14-2010, 07:52 PM
autoxer6
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have a good starting point. Personal preference will dictate if any changes are necessary.

Some things to think about and try if you want:

1. More rear toe will make the car more stable under power on corner exit.

2. Less rear camber will help the car rotate on corner entry allowing you to get to the power faster. It will also let you put more power down in a straight line. The down side is that the car will be a little less stable in high speed manuvers.

Try different things to see what you like. I have probably run 40 different alignments in the last two years. My preferences have changes as I got more comfortable with the car. The front bar, shocks, and the types of courses you run on will also factor in.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:24 AM
Hellspawn
Instructor

Thanks. Wasn't sure if street tire vs. track tires required different alignments.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:14 AM
autoxer6
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hellspawn
Thanks. Wasn't sure if street tire vs. track tires required different alignments.
Runner less rear camber may be more important since it will be harder to put down power on street tires. But it depends on your style and the type of courses you run.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:34 PM
OZ51
Instructor

It would be tough to get that much camber out of the stock front suspension. The car will be tail happy with anything less than 1/8" rear toe in. Thats what I run on my car with street tires and I can hang the rear end out pretty controllably with throttle to get the car to pivot (1.1 neg camber rear).

Last edited by OZ51; 09-15-2010 at 12:37 PM.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:36 PM
Hellspawn
Instructor

Originally Posted by autoxer6
Runner less rear camber may be more important since it will be harder to put down power on street tires. But it depends on your style and the type of courses you run.
Yeah that's what I was a little concerned about.

Originally Posted by OZ51
It would be tough to get that much camber out of the stock front suspension. The car will be tail happy with anything less than 1/8" rear toe in. Thats what I run on my car with street tires and I can hang the rear end out pretty controllably with throttle to get the car to pivot (1.1 neg camber rear).
How much negative camber do you think I can get out of the front stock suspension? Think I should reduce rear to -1.1, or just go for the -1.5 and reduce for next time if I can't hook up? Not a SCCA event or anything, just a local one for fun, no points. Engine is stock, only have a Corsa exhaust.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:30 PM
OZ51
Instructor

I can get 1.9-2* neg up front if I back down the caster a bit (~6.5-7*), but that seems to be about max. It works well on the street with 0 toe in. I run 1.1-1,2 rear with 1/8 toe in. Have great turn in for autocross, can pivot the car with throttle, and have excellent tire wear (running stret tires). Unless you're running race rubber or are serious about autoXing, I think you'll be happy with a similar compromise set up.

Get notified of new replies

To Please critique my autocross alignment - C6, stock tires

Quick Reply: Please critique my autocross alignment - C6, stock tires