Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone running new vette (08-10) at track with R compound tires.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 09:56 PM
trapp
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone running new vette (08-10) at track with R compound tires.

I wanted to know if you are useing non-stock wheel sizes with R compound tires and having no issues with electronics (abs), Stability control, traction control. Tire rack told me that the newer vette can't shut off or defeat the system so you can't run differ wheel or tire sizes or it will mess with the electronics. I looking to run 18's all-around and they had no clue what to do and told me with the last few year vette it will create a problem..you also need the TPS intact for the car to run normal..anyone with experience please help me out..

I have a 09 vette C6 Z51

PS there is NOT r compound tire that I know of that you can run with stock wheels..
Old 09-15-2010, 12:23 PM
trapp
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by trapp
I wanted to know if you are useing non-stock wheel sizes with R compound tires and having no issues with electronics (abs), Stability control, traction control. Tire rack told me that the newer vette can't shut off or defeat the system so you can't run differ wheel or tire sizes or it will mess with the electronics. I looking to run 18's all-around and they had no clue what to do and told me with the last few year vette it will create a problem..you also need the TPS intact for the car to run normal..anyone with experience please help me out..

I have a 09 vette C6 Z51

PS there is NOT r compound tire that I know of that you can run with stock wheels..
I can't believe nobody can give me help...
Old 09-15-2010, 01:11 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

there is several 09 zo6 on here running 18 all the way around it can be done.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:16 PM
bobmoore2
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got an '06, so ...

From what I've heard, your rear tire diameter needs to be larger than the fronts. Otherwise the AH & TC will not like it. I don't know exactly how the AH & TC react though.

My experience with my '06 is:
- I can shut off the AH & TC by holding down the button for about 5 seconds. Try this on your '09 to see if it will shut off.
- The ABS is still negatively affected when the tire-diameter-ratio is incorrect. For awhile (not now), I had slightly larger tires in front than in back, and the front tires skidded more often than they should (ABS didn't engage as often as it should).

I think the AH & TC on your '09 will be OK, if you ensure your rear tires are a little larger than the fronts.

Last edited by bobmoore2; 09-15-2010 at 01:29 PM.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:19 PM
Timz06
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a 09 vette C6 Z51

If you need to run with AH/TC then you don't need race tires. Experienced drivers don't run with these nannies as they will kill your lap times. You might as well just use street tires.

ABS should not be an issue.

Tim
Old 09-15-2010, 01:24 PM
bobmoore2
Drifting

Originally Posted by dvandentop
there is several 09 zo6 on here running 18 all the way around it can be done.
That's because the wheel diameter is not the issue, it's the tire diameter.

Like I mentioned in another thread that Trapp started, I'm running 18" wheels all around, but I made sure that my tire diameters are a little bigger in the back vs the front.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:14 PM
trapp
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Timz06
If you need to run with AH/TC then you don't need race tires. Experienced drivers don't run with these nannies as they will kill your lap times. You might as well just use street tires.

ABS should not be an issue.

Tim
Well I understand your comments but your not completely aware of the issue with the newer C6 models..Even tirerack knows that you CAN NOT defeat the AH/TC completely even if it is shut off completely. Somehow the ECU nows if the diameter of the tires are with spec even with it shut off. I know this because we had a 09 vette at the track that put on 18' wheels with R compound and the car was acting very scary on the track engaging and disengaging the AH inappropiately with the "system completely shut off" After stock wheel and tires put back on ..all was well. Tirerack told me to find someone with a 08-09 vette that is running R-compound and match there wheel and tires....so far I haven't found anyone yet..
Old 09-15-2010, 03:16 PM
trapp
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bobmoore2
That's because the wheel diameter is not the issue, it's the tire diameter.

Like I mentioned in another thread that Trapp started, I'm running 18" wheels all around, but I made sure that my tire diameters are a little bigger in the back vs the front.
I will have to get custom wheel and tires that match my stock tire diameter front and back....
Old 09-15-2010, 03:24 PM
VatorMan
Team Owner

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06-'10-'11, '15

I definitely need to know about this.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:11 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

I know a couple of people running 18 inch wheels all around on C6Zs. However, they use different size tires front and rear with the larger diameter tire being in the rear. They have no issues when they turn off the AH and TC. It looks like the C6Z hot wheel setup is a CCW 18x11 in front with an 18x13 in the rear.

There are also some people running R compound tires on stock wheels. The reason people go to the 18s is cost and availability of tire take offs from racers. Hoosier makes exact size R compound tires for the C6Z and Kumho makes tires that will fit. For the regular C6 tires Hoosier can give you an exact match for the front and the next size up for the rear. Kumho can match the stock front size but not the rear. By the way this is from the Tire Rack web site.

Bill
Old 09-15-2010, 06:04 PM
pennington
Cruising

I have a 09 vette C6 Z51

09 Z06 stock other than race pads & bf, for DEs I run toyo r888 275/35/18 stock size front and 335/30/18 on the rear, run in comp mode and I have had no issues. Comp mode does not interfere unless you do something you shouldn't have. I have only had AH come on twice and I was throwing the car pretty hard into some slow turns to find the limit and see what happens when it comes on. It works great just cuts power and straightens you out, don't thinK I would try that in any high speed turns though. And yes you need the TPS tool it won't go into comp mode otherwise.
Old 09-16-2010, 02:17 PM
Cap'n Pete
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 77 Posts

Here's my setup ... and so far, it "works" :

2010 C6 Coupe, not a Z51 or Z06:

I'm running 17 x 9.5 C5Z wheels on all 4 corners, w/ 275/40/17 NT01's (minor issue, the inside of the front rims catch the tie-rod jamb nut while turning full lock!).

... anyway, I have NO TPMS, and the tire heights are all identical (not staggered).

I shut EVERYTHING OFF (TC & AH OFF) and have run 5 track days so far, with NO PROBLEMS whatsoever. 2 of those 5 days have been in the rain, and I HAVE engaged ABS, and still NO PROBLEMS.

When the car first starts, I get the error message "Service TPMS system" (or something to that effect). The "check engine" light (I think that's which light it is?) flashes, and while it's still flashing (during the first ~20 - 30 seconds of the car starting) I push and hold the TC/AH button for ~5 seconds, and get the message "TC/AH system OFF" (at which point, there is another light on the dash indicating the TC/AH off).

Point being, I've run 5 days (2 rainy) on 3 tracks, and had no problem with the car .

However, I've heard that 2010's may be different than all previous years? (at least the TPMS are different ... they can be calibrated to the car by adjusting the air pressure up/down, without the use of a tool as in previous model years). Not sure if the TC/AH system itself is any different though?

But in the meantime, it's working for me (although I wish I had wider wheels/tires all around :o ).
Old 09-16-2010, 03:17 PM
Webz
Burning Brakes

I have an '08 Z51 that I run 18" x 10.5" C5Z06 rears on all 4 corners with the same size tire (305/645R18 Hoosier R100's) on all 4 corners and no TPM's. I run with all nannies off. Sometimes I get a Service Active Handling message when sliding all 4 tires thru a mid speed left hand turn but no interuption in the handling of the car at anytime. Otherwise it works for me.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:38 PM
Dirk Miller
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Default changing wheel sizes

Originally Posted by Webz
I have an '08 Z51 that I run 18" x 10.5" C5Z06 rears on all 4 corners with the same size tire (305/645R18 Hoosier R100's) on all 4 corners and no TPM's. I run with all nannies off. Sometimes I get a Service Active Handling message when sliding all 4 tires thru a mid speed left hand turn but no interuption in the handling of the car at anytime. Otherwise it works for me.
I too have an '08 M C6 that I track and have been looking at other options for tires. Interesting change you made going to 18" x 10.5ea" C5Z06 all the way around. I may want to seriously consider this. I run w/ the AH/TC off, so going w/ different sizes may not be that big of deal for my computer.

This is my third year w/ NASA HPDE events. First year I ran run flats. Last year and this, I ran street tires and now am hoping for a DOT tire.
I looked into the selection our local Hoosier dealer offers and could not quickly locate the size you are using. How much money is each tire running? Have these been easy to order? Are these DOT? I think it will be a while before I seriously consider big brakes, but am wondering if there is there enough room for you to add big brakes under these wheels ?
Old 09-17-2010, 12:14 AM
MartyZ51
Instructor

I have a 09 vette C6 Z51

I have an 08 Z51 and run CCW 18" wheels all around with sensors. I run a slightly larger r compound tire on the back and use a TPMS programmer to tie the sensors. I can run in competition mode, all on or all off with no problems. I learned quickly that it greatly increases your brake pad and rotor expense to run with computer assistance plus it's not as fun!
Old 09-17-2010, 06:53 AM
Webz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dirk Miller
I too have an '08 M C6 that I track and have been looking at other options for tires. Interesting change you made going to 18" x 10.5ea" C5Z06 all the way around. I may want to seriously consider this. I run w/ the AH/TC off, so going w/ different sizes may not be that big of deal for my computer.

This is my third year w/ NASA HPDE events. First year I ran run flats. Last year and this, I ran street tires and now am hoping for a DOT tire.
I looked into the selection our local Hoosier dealer offers and could not quickly locate the size you are using. How much money is each tire running? Have these been easy to order? Are these DOT? I think it will be a while before I seriously consider big brakes, but am wondering if there is there enough room for you to add big brakes under these wheels ?
R100's are non DOT/full race slicks. I also have run Hoosier A6's and R6's in 315/30R18's. As far as brakes check out Gary Hoffmans post on his T1 brake kit. Somewhere in that post he has a picture of his new brake caliper mounted behind the C5Z06 rim. It looks like R100's will be about $75/tire more expensive than A6/R6.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:30 AM
Dan Wendling
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by VatorMan
I definitely need to know about this.
Too late, just go get the rear tires mounted and hit the track next week !!

Cant wait to have you pass me !! NOT !!!

IHTAHNWAT

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone running new vette (08-10) at track with R compound tires.

Old 09-19-2010, 12:44 AM
bobmoore2
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dan Wendling

IHTAHNWAT
I know I'm going to regret this... What's it stand for?
Old 09-19-2010, 08:28 AM
Dan Wendling
Burning Brakes

I Hate Tom And His New Wheels And Tires.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:53 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,145 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by bobmoore2
I know I'm going to regret this... What's it stand for?
Inside joke with our little track rat crew. It started with the IHD club, which stands for "I Hate Dan". Dan has a funny way of making us all spend money on stuff we really don't need. Therefore we hate him.

Dan decided to deflect that hatred to another member of our club. So far, no one else has taken the bait. :-)

jas

Quick Reply: Anyone running new vette (08-10) at track with R compound tires.