Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cool Down Lap

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 04:36 PM
ninjavette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cool Down Lap

What's the safest/best way to run a cool down lap? If you're pulling off before the session is over and there are still other cars on the track is there a certain speed you try to stay under? Are you just constantly waving cars to pass? I never really thought about it before and just sort of pit when I was ready. With my new clutch and pads I want to do a proper cool down. Looking for your opinions.

Thanks
Old 09-16-2010, 05:03 PM
1ED1
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Go out late in the session and come in with everyone else.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:45 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,046 Likes on 1,358 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

You can turn on your flashers, and stay off the line.

Also, I would usually drive slowly around the pit area or service road for a few minutes, even after a normal cooldown lap.

And of course, try to coast into the parkling spot without using brakes, then shut down in gear to hold the car ffom rolling.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:53 PM
AutobahnRacer
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I try to keep the RPM's down by running in 4th Gear for a full lap no matter the track . . . 2.5 miles, 4.0 miles allowing the trans to cool, stay off the brakes as much as you can. You're in your rear-view mirror alot. Drive the line, and hit every apex until another car approaches. Get out of the way early, be predictable!
Old 09-16-2010, 10:38 PM
kmagvette
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I always run one or two cool down laps. It is my responsibility to maintain a reasonable speed and not impede the lap/fun of anybody else. You must know who is behind you and plan for them to pass you at their speed such that they do not need to alter their lap. If I screw up, it is my responsibility to increase my speed to whatever it takes so I stay out the the way of others.

Stay on you normal line...the guy approaching you at full speed is expecting to pass you as if you were a Miata. A cool down lap is not the time to change the rules.

Keep good speed: There is no place for a car going 60 MPH down a straight on a hot track, you are a hazard and it defeats the purpose of a cool down. You need to move air over the hot stuff. Learn how to drive a lap with no brakes. Learn how much braking you get out of your car by simply turning the wheel in a turn. At the Glen I always hit at least 110 on the back straight during a cool down and never touch the brakes.

Over time, the exercise of not braking may show you how much you are over braking, ultimately making you a better driver. You should still be driving you car on the cool down lap, this includes managing the balance of the car with throttle through the turn, just lighter since you are not accelerating out of the turn at full speed...unless, of course, you need to get out of the way of somebody driving at speed.

To kick this horse one more time...take as many cool down laps as you want, just stay out of everybody's way.
Old 09-17-2010, 05:12 PM
yakisoba
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

second the above. Often, in time trial, there's no reason to run the whole session. Get your good laps in, cool it down, and come in. NASA has strict rules about interfering with other folks' event though, so be nice.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:41 PM
ninjavette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kmagvette
I always run one or two cool down laps. It is my responsibility to maintain a reasonable speed and not impede the lap/fun of anybody else. You must know who is behind you and plan for them to pass you at their speed such that they do not need to alter their lap. If I screw up, it is my responsibility to increase my speed to whatever it takes so I stay out the the way of others.

Stay on you normal line...the guy approaching you at full speed is expecting to pass you as if you were a Miata. A cool down lap is not the time to change the rules.

Keep good speed: There is no place for a car going 60 MPH down a straight on a hot track, you are a hazard and it defeats the purpose of a cool down. You need to move air over the hot stuff. Learn how to drive a lap with no brakes. Learn how much braking you get out of your car by simply turning the wheel in a turn. At the Glen I always hit at least 110 on the back straight during a cool down and never touch the brakes.

Over time, the exercise of not braking may show you how much you are over braking, ultimately making you a better driver. You should still be driving you car on the cool down lap, this includes managing the balance of the car with throttle through the turn, just lighter since you are not accelerating out of the turn at full speed...unless, of course, you need to get out of the way of somebody driving at speed.

To kick this horse one more time...take as many cool down laps as you want, just stay out of everybody's way.
Excellent info thanks. I had no plans on interfering with any of the other drivers, and that was my motivation for making this thread. I want to try a proper cool down but still do right by the other racers.

Get notified of new replies

To Cool Down Lap

Quick Reply: Cool Down Lap