Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does autocrossing HURT your car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 07:50 PM
thenorthwoods
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Does autocrossing HURT your car?

I have auto crossed this year in my 07 C6. I have been getting a lot of heat (from non-autocrossers) saying. "why would you want to put that kind of stress on your car. They also state that the value of the car goes down if you are honest and tell a potential buyer that it has been raced.
Has anyone damaged a suspension component, tie rod, or even an engine in a autocross?
Old 09-18-2010, 07:59 PM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by thenorthwoods
I have auto crossed this year in my 07 C6. I have been getting a lot of heat (from non-autocrossers) saying. "why would you want to put that kind of stress on your car. They also state that the value of the car goes down if you are honest and tell a potential buyer that it has been raced.
Has anyone damaged a suspension component, tie rod, or even an engine in a autocross?
the only component that I could see experiencing abnormal wear at auto-X (assuming competent driver) would be the power steering system
Old 09-18-2010, 08:06 PM
NV MY C5
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by longdaddy
the only component that I could see experiencing abnormal wear at auto-X (assuming competent driver) would be the power steering system
And Tires!
Old 09-18-2010, 08:14 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

The car was not made to sit in your garage and see how many coats of wax you can apply before the warranty expires ...................

DH
Old 09-18-2010, 08:38 PM
urtoslo
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most non-autocrossers, when talking about autocrossing, don't know what they're talking about. They've probably never attended an autox as a spectator, much less run in one. Tell them to go wax their hood, stick to what they know and you do what you like.

Never damaged any suspension components during a run, but replaced many brake pads, tires, shocks and springs over the years. Blew an engine in my '94 during an autox (still won the event from a previous run). Put a new engine in it (with a Canton race pan) and ran many more years.

It's a Corvette, it has a racing heritage, use it as intended.

Last edited by urtoslo; 09-18-2010 at 08:47 PM. Reason: typos
Old 09-18-2010, 08:44 PM
kimmer
Le Mans Master

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
C4 of the Year Finalist

These cars were not made to be cruisers, it's a sport car so go sport it!
Old 09-18-2010, 08:54 PM
Greywolfe
Racer

Auto-crossing isnt that bad on the car. Of course it depends on how hard you drive it. Yes there will be more wear and tear the more you use something but isn't that the point??

Wear and tear is proportional to fun.

Its your car do what you want to do with it.

And no it doesn't hurt you car... it makes your car happy!
Old 09-18-2010, 09:04 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by NV MY C5
And Tires!
and wallet
Old 09-18-2010, 09:05 PM
yakisoba
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wheel hubs. But it's not an every season thing. Just something to keep track of. I agree that corvettes are not meant to sit. They like to run.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:19 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Autocrossing will put some more wear in the "consumables". That is brake pads, wheel bearings and the differential clutches. Other than that it really doesn't make a difference. So long as you are willing to replace the wear items as they are consumed, it isn't an issue.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:39 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

You can trash the engine on a manual tranny if you miss a shift and force an over-rev, but that could also happen on the street or drag strip.

My biggest gripe is AX courses that have stuff for you to hit. This ain't road racing, the course should be set up so that you can lose it and and not damage anything.

When i was AXing our 2001, i went to one event that was actually run on a short oval with walls all the way around. I looked at that and decided I'd be playing grandpa on that course. Sure enough, one guy started sliding in a beautiful C4, totaled the car, and got an ambulance ride.

Highly competitive people will accept that kind of risk, I don't. You get to make your own decisions.

Have fun, and good luck!
Old 09-18-2010, 10:41 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,396 Likes on 748 Posts

I've autocrossed my car since I bought it in '02; I'm still on the original engine, clutch, tranny, diff, etc. I've replaced all four wheel bearings once, rotors, and pads multiple times.

Oh, and she's got 213,xxx miles. These cars depreciate just like a Ford Taurus, and unless you're willing to wait 40, 50, 60 years you'll ALWAYS lose money on them.

If you want to invest your money, then *invest* it. If you want to enjoy a car, then enjoy it. I pay very, VERY, little attention to those that diss me for driving my car.

As far as autocross courses where you can hit stuff, I agree. However, a decent course layout won't put you into a condition where you *could* hit stuff. Track courses have more risk of hitting stuff than an autocross, and usually at higher speeds.

BTW, I enjoy both.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 09-18-2010, 10:55 PM
bobmoore2
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When they say that, you should reply "because waxing and then driving like it is a Cadillac is BORING! There is no thrill like driving a Corvette the way it is meant to be driven."

The people you want to hang with will agree with you, and the others are boring people.
Old 09-18-2010, 11:31 PM
MJM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
The car was not made to sit in your garage and see how many coats of wax you can apply before the warranty expires ...................

DH
Howie that is f'in awesome!

and exactly how I feel too, see you at the track next weekend.

Matt
Old 09-18-2010, 11:33 PM
Joe_Knesek
Racer

Let the critics love their minivans. It's not called a sports car because you drive it to football games.
Old 09-19-2010, 12:55 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by MJM
Howie that is f'in awesome!

and exactly how I feel too, see you at the track next weekend.

Matt
Matt

I do wax mine before track events ...... makes it go faster right?

DH
Old 09-19-2010, 01:03 AM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Matt

DH
Nah, slows it down. More weight you know.

Get notified of new replies

To Does autocrossing HURT your car?

Old 09-19-2010, 01:06 AM
bobmoore2
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Matt

DH
Sometimes it can make it faster. I once asked an IndyCar crew member why they spend so much time cleaning and waxing the race car. He said, "Waxing makes the sponsors' decals look better, which makes the sponsors happier, which makes the car faster."
Old 09-19-2010, 02:39 AM
jordan89
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Greywolfe
Auto-crossing isnt that bad on the car. Of course it depends on how hard you drive it. Yes there will be more wear and tear the more you use something but isn't that the point??

Wear and tear is proportional to fun.

Its your car do what you want to do with it.

And no it doesn't hurt you car... it makes your car happy!
Old 09-19-2010, 03:07 AM
ColeTrain'sC5
Melting Slicks

i've never had a car before that LITERALLY made me get the giggles when i got on the gas. I love driving the car harder sometimes. Never autocrossed or road course raced it but would LOVE to try sometime

Quick Reply: Does autocrossing HURT your car?